USA Embassy picking up passport for baby and traveling.

Hey guys,

I have been emailing back and forth with someone from the USA embassy and im getting no where because the email I have is for visa questions and my question is for passports and for some reason they cant answer these two questions for me.

1. Is it safe to travel to the USA embassy in Bangkok? Im not familiar with the area too much and dont know how close the protesters are.

2. The passport for my 10mo baby girl is ready to be picked up. Can I pick it up by myself, or does my baby have to be with me? I dont want to bring my daughter to bangkok if I dont have to right now.

I get this message every time I try to dumb down my questions to be more generic than passport specific:
"Your inquiry has already been directed to the responsible unit for advice to ensure the accuracy of the practice. Each unit has a separate operational requirements and policy. As this is not a U.S. non-immigrant visa issue, we are not the right point of contact for your inquiry. "

It takes nearly a week to get a reply so im at wits end here. I need to book a flight and cant even get an answer on the first one and feel like im getting the run-around from my own embassy.

Any info you guys could provide would be very helpful.

Thanks!

I think this is probably better off over in the visa forum. Let's move it over there.

Topic Moved

P.S. My friend went to the embassy on Monday and said no issues at all.

Thanks for the answer to my first Q. I love bangkok but I dont know that much about the areas so I had no Idea. I just know the embassy is across from Lumphini Park. If your friend had no issues im sure I will be fine there.

update: just heard back from the embassy....

" Either parent may pick up the passport. Please visit our website for the most current public announcement regarding the security situation. "

ok... that doesnt answer my question about the baby needing to be there. And cant seem to locate the info on the site even though there was a travel advisory a week or 2 ago? Thanks embassy for not answering my questions properly.

Im sure im on some kind of black list now for my fresh response.... "Being that you travel to work every day would you be able to tell me if its safe to travel to the embassy? yes or no?"

Also, any other americans here have any experiences with those Thai people at the front doors behind the counter to be quite rude and lack good speaking skills? or was it just me?

You should be using email shown on this webpage: http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service.html

You can pick up the passport without taking the baby. Be sure you take a copy of email they sent telling you it is ready for pickup and receipt.

It should not be a problem getting to the embassy. Best to use BTS or MRT.

Thanks and I did use the email from that website, but isnt labeled that its strictly Visa, unless I missed something.

Finally got a straight answer after 4 back and forth emails with them if it helps anyone else in the future, this is what its said:

You may pick up the passport without your baby. Please click on the following link for our security message.

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service.html

As far as security is concerned, the Embassy is open, however, we have the security bulletin which is updated as the situation changes.