Thai farmers to blockade roads over unpaid rice

webfact

As usual The Nation has a half of the story, and they have engineered the presentation of that half to suit their own political agenda, and many foreigners have swallowed the story hook, line and sinker ...

my farmer friends have been paid 80-90% for the last harvest, and they have no problem with funding the new planting (which anyway is months away)...

...the reason that the final payment of 10-20% has not been paid is because the "Democrats" refused to co-sign the use of the funds which PTP had intended for that payment...

Where are your farmer friends located that they have been paid? And what are you talking about the final 10-20%. The farmers gets paid 100% at one time.

You are talking about things you are not involved in and only going on hear say and then saying the paper is lying. Sorry to tell you but the paper is correct.

I can tell you from personal experience that my wife has not been paid for her rice. So the story is true. It has been more than 4-5 weeks and she is being told she will have to wait longer. She has not received one baht, and is very upset. What are you talking about democrats had to co-sign, co-sigh what?

Who told you that they had to co-sign? Please enlighten us.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't help wondering how much of his frozen 46 billion Thaksin has had replaced by the tax payers of the kingdom since he put his puppet in the top spot....?

Well as a rough guide, using the figures kindly given by tomacht8 in post 88 I would say he has replaced his frozen 46 Billion with around....600 Billion plus or minus a few billion.

Rubber farmers in Bangkok. Urbanites in Bangkok. And now Rice Farmers in the North East. Add the failed amnesty bill into the mix, and one might almost thing things aren't going as well for the PTP as they might have liked.

Deliberate misinformation.

Where does it say the Northeast? Another example of extrapolation in order to stir the pot.

Poster must be a Suthep devotee? Same M.O.

Sp please tell us with your encyclopedic knowledge of Thailand, where you think these rice farmers are that have not been paid. Just what part of Thailand do you think they are from?

What do you think the article said? You might try reading it one more time.

Rubber farmers in Bangkok. Urbanites in Bangkok. And now Rice Farmers in the North East. Add the failed amnesty bill into the mix, and one might almost thing things aren't going as well for the PTP as they might have liked.

Where does it say the Northeast? Another example of extrapolation in order to stir the pot.

So you're trying to imply that rice farmers in the north weren't paid but rice farmers in Isaan were paid??? Care to back that up with facts or is your post just a deliberate attempt to misinform?

Just another Thaksin devotee I guess.

I am implying that the poster totally misquoted the article to make his point.

No, I am STATING that the poster misquoted the article.

Can you handle that statement of fact? Or must you extrapolate to make your political point as well? Geez!

Edited by Fookhaht

I can't help wondering how much of his frozen 46 billion Thaksin has had replaced by the tax payers of the kingdom since he put his puppet in the top spot....?

Well as a rough guide, using the figures kindly given by tomacht8 in post 88 I would say he has replaced his frozen 46 Billion with around....600 Billion plus or minus a few billion.

No one can say where all the money has remained exactly as long as there are no reliable figures are available.

I do not understand why there is no institution which quickly brings light into the darkness.

There are too many family members and friends in leading positions.

I hope Thailand get there quite quickly a clear view by neutral bodies together, to check the state finances

As usual The Nation has a half of the story, and they have engineered the presentation of that half to suit their own political agenda, and many foreigners have swallowed the story hook, line and sinker ...

my farmer friends have been paid 80-90% for the last harvest, and they have no problem with funding the new planting (which anyway is months away)...

...the reason that the final payment of 10-20% has not been paid is because the "Democrats" refused to co-sign the use of the funds which PTP had intended for that payment...

Where are your farmer friends located that they have been paid? And what are you talking about the final 10-20%. The farmers gets paid 100% at one time.

You are talking about things you are not involved in and only going on hear say and then saying the paper is lying. Sorry to tell you but the paper is correct.

I can tell you from personal experience that my wife has not been paid for her rice. So the story is true. It has been more than 4-5 weeks and she is being told she will have to wait longer. She has not received one baht, and is very upset. What are you talking about democrats had to co-sign, co-sigh what?

Who told you that they had to co-sign? Please enlighten us.

I think he got caught in over his head mindlessly repeating something he thought he read somewhere... It doesn't look like we'll be hearing from the youngster again in this topic. Some Shin-Rouge needs to take the young lad in tow and show him the ropes. How embarrassing for him.

like I have said several times already - the farmers won't get paid until the 2 trillion infrastructure loan is in the bank

and where has all the billions of tax payers money gone - nobody will know until PTP are flushed and some auditors get their hands on the accounts - in fact I'll bet some civil servants in the finance ministry will be more than willing to spill the beans once they are sure PTP has gone round the U bend along with all the rest of the turds

Like I've been saying for months now - this will be exposed as the biggest theft of public money in the total history of all of Asia

• Like 2

No one can say where all the money has remained exactly as long as there are no reliable figures are available.

I do not understand why there is no institution which quickly brings light into the darkness.

There are too many family members and friends in leading positions.

I hope Thailand get there quite quickly a clear view by neutral bodies together, to check the state finances

all of the above is exactly what I've been saying for months - the first hint of it was some time ago when the Dems tried to draw attention to 17billion that was linked into HK - but PTP have kept government finance hidden for 2 years now - another change that I believe Suthep wants to make

Tomorrow will be a very interesting day

• Like 1

I posted on the "lack of payment" issue in another thread several weeks ago and it hardly raised a return comment. My gf's family are living on the small subsidy that I give them and no money in sight yet for their rice.

I see angry farmers with pitchforks, lanterns and shovels marching on YTs house (think Young Frankenstein) some time soon.

Well, perhaps not, but the ire of the people has been provoked, and the Shin-Rouge (great name, thanks whoever coined it) might be in for a very bumpy time, quite soon.

Could not count how many PRO government posters have stated that Thaksin is loved by the POOR farmers, because he gave them support when they wanted it, he gave them hope---he promised them so much during the election campaign. NOW LOOK AT THIS MESS. sorry folks--let them Block the roads maybe they will see the light.

Lets see how many pro Thaksin posters post on this thread ??????????????? any guesses lads and lassies.

Well, if you buy loyalty, better to keep paying.

• Like 1

Please don't doubt that the farmers will be "paid" before the elections.

Remember you Thaksin lovers, it's these policies that created a strong Suthep, and sooner than later it's these policies that will send Thailand to ruin, while earning the shinawat dynasty even more wealth.

Yingluck needs new Burberrys, and by god she is going to get them!

Any suggestion that Thaksin would pay the rice farmers from his own resources is ridiculous - it flies in the face of the nature of the beast.

He has to realise by now that this policy, while achieving the goal of buying votes, is a major cock-up; a black hole that no amount of cash injection will fill. And that's OK as long as it is other people's money, with a syphon off to him and his.

• Like 1

This is the end game....Suthep, the rubber farmers, and now the rice farmers. This is the unity we've been hearing about coming to pass. United against Thaksin and Yingluck.

They should hurry up and get the big infeastructure loan. That way the money can be dropped from planes in big sacks.

This should keep them in power for the rest of theitr lives.

Then in ten or twenty years after the present govenments have all retired in comfort and the problem has been handed to it's successors, which ever party this is, the new government can introduce strict austerity measures as an inheritance present to our grandchildren.

Edited by jeffinchiangmai1

C'mon, bundoi! The world waits. What the HECK are you talking about?

I cannot understand what he thinks the opposition party had to co-sign to allow the disbursement of funds. The problem seems to be that the government uses the BAAC as its agent to pay for the rice and has not transferred the money to BAAC, hoping to pressure BAAC to pay out of its capital funds. The board refuses to do this as they could be prosecuted for malfeasance. Now the government has been overtaken by events and, as caretaker, no longer has the authority to make the payment to BAAC. Seems like a king size cock up but not a surprise given the massive amount of inefficiency and corruption in Thailand's rotting rice mountain.

The only reason I can think of, that the Democrats would have had to sign-off on the use of the funds, is if those funds were coming out of something else, like the flood-control or infrastructure-development budgets which were still awaiting parliamentary-approval ?

In which case the budget for the rice-purchase scheme had been blown, some five months ago looking at the alleged failures-to-pay in August, ie the government has been robbing Peter to pay Paul for some time now ?

This would be totally irresponsible fiscal-policy by any government ! wink.png

And the story which is now reported by our newbie-poster, as being told to the farmers he knows, is simply a Red propaganda lie, which he/she appears to have swallowed whole ! facepalm.gif

Any suggestion that Thaksin would pay the rice farmers from his own resources is ridiculous - it flies in the face of the nature of the beast.

He has to realise by now that this policy, while achieving the goal of buying votes, is a major cock-up; a black hole that no amount of cash injection will fill. And that's OK as long as it is other people's money, with a syphon off to him and his.

The problem is, it's a gigantic <deleted>. How will the oposition now campaign? They can't say they want to abbolish the rice policy if they get elected because they will never be elected. They also can't say they will support it because it's obvious they won't be able toi pay for it. What to do?

Just google farmers-blockade-roads-unpaid-rice.

Guy who rents wifeys paddy cut his rice a couple of days ago. Just been told he has to wait a minimum of one month for the payment and is seriously peed off.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

A friend of mine has a father who farms rice up in Korat, he has asked to borrow enough money from her so he can sow his next crop as he is broke!!

He too is seriously peed-off!!

He was a loyal Thaksin follower and really thought he was God, now he has seen sense with the Yingluk government doing nothing for them except keep them in poverty.. 

He is now firmly against the "Shin clan" saying they have "robbed Thailand and it's people"

Now here's the funny part.

Wifey and I walked to our local village shop/bar last night, she for the gossip, me for a Leo.

The talk was all about the delayed payment for pledged rice and was getting very heated. Farmers are seriously fed up with PT but the loathing for the Democrats is even stronger!

I asked who they will be voting for in the next election and every single one said PT.

'The Democrats never do anything for us' was the overwhelming view.

This is the mindset the Dems must address before they can begin to even think about winning a national election.

We live in Kanchanaburi btw.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Bit difficult to work out just what the BAAC financial position is but it seems very close to the wall would be a fair description.

There are conflicting statements coming from the bank and the finance ministry but a couple of recent press releases are :

21.10 The Bank for Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives (BAAC) will borrow 140 billion baht with the Finance Ministry's guarantee to fund the 270-billion-baht budget set for the government's rice-pledging.

An update on that was that for some procedural reason the 140 billion could not be borrowed from the Govt till some time in February.

Therefor the Govt auctioned 82 billion worth of Govt bonds to help cover the bank till that time.

Of that 82 billion they only received bids on 37 billion at several points above market rate and I read that that they had to "negotiate" the terms of these bids with the bidders.

It will depend on whether these "negotiations" are successful or not as to whether the bidders take up the option on the bonds.

And :

25/11 Deputy Finance Minister said the issue (having enough to pay for harvested crop) was resolved by using 82 billion baht from the fiscal-2014 budget earmarked to pay the BAAC's debt in order to pay farmers who had not received any money from the scheme since last month.

The fiscal-2014 budget will be used to repay the BAAC in a bid to keep total expenditure below the 500 billion baht limit imposed by the cabinet.

He insisted that by doing so, the government's paddy scheme is financially manageable.

Looks like that that have to use next years budget to pay the farmers for the crop that has already been sold to the Govt in order to keep the bank afloat.

• Like 1

"The Commerce Ministry needed to act rather than just complaining to the government of having insufficient funds because the ministry’s response was against the cabinet’s pledge that the government could afford the rice pledging scheme."

Yes the Commerce Ministry needs to ACT, stop this unseemly whining that makes the cabinet look bad,

Thai Pantomime shadow puppets seems about all their budget can allow.

Bit difficult to work out just what the BAAC financial position is but it seems very close to the wall would be a fair description.

There are conflicting statements coming from the bank and the finance ministry but a couple of recent press releases are :

21.10 The Bank for Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives (BAAC) will borrow 140 billion baht with the Finance Ministry's guarantee to fund the 270-billion-baht budget set for the government's rice-pledging.

An update on that was that for some procedural reason the 140 billion could not be borrowed from the Govt till some time in February.

Therefor the Govt auctioned 82 billion worth of Govt bonds to help cover the bank till that time.

Of that 82 billion they only received bids on 37 billion at several points above market rate and I read that that they had to "negotiate" the terms of these bids with the bidders.

It will depend on whether these "negotiations" are successful or not as to whether the bidders take up the option on the bonds.

And :

25/11 Deputy Finance Minister said the issue (having enough to pay for harvested crop) was resolved by using 82 billion baht from the fiscal-2014 budget earmarked to pay the BAAC's debt in order to pay farmers who had not received any money from the scheme since last month.

The fiscal-2014 budget will be used to repay the BAAC in a bid to keep total expenditure below the 500 billion baht limit imposed by the cabinet.

He insisted that by doing so, the government's paddy scheme is financially manageable.

Looks like that that have to use next years budget to pay the farmers for the crop that has already been sold to the Govt in order to keep the bank afloat.

So as my mother would say 'They have been robbing Peter to pay Paul'. They are taking us down the same path as the US, the debt will continue to rise and rise until the rice scam is ended and real MP's who have the country's interests at heart instead of a self serving bunch of crooks are brought in to try and rectify things...

• Like 1

There was a rumour in Isaan around 2002 or so that k. Thaksin had paid-off the IMF billions from his own money. Not sure this 'urban myth' is still being told there. So a suggestion that k. Thaksin pays rice farmers himself because the Democrats are troublesome doesn't sound too weird in comparision wink.png

• Like 1

...Then he should probably be working on his Arabic. ...And a permanent residency application (I wonder if a criminal background check is required in Dubai...).

The problem is, it's a gigantic <deleted>. How will the oposition now campaign? They can't say they want to abbolish the rice policy if they get elected because they will never be elected. They also can't say they will support it because it's obvious they won't be able toi pay for it. What to do?

Maybe that's why they don't want to run in the next election? They are the ones who will get the flak. Taking over a sinking ship is no fun at all.

• Like 1

Whoever "inherets " this MESS has got one hellava job in front of them !!! ..... A lot of money has vanished and the coffers / trough looks dry.... Look out for the Private Jets banked up at swampy bound for sandy pastures ... CHOKDEE Thailand ...

There was a rumour in Isaan around 2002 or so that k. Thaksin had paid-off the IMF billions from his own money. Not sure this 'urban myth' is still being told there. So a suggestion that k. Thaksin pays rice farmers himself because the Democrats are troublesome doesn't sound too weird in comparision wink.png

Oh Jeez that's funny !!! To him Thailand is his private bank where he sees everyone else's deposits as being his. If there is any grain of truth to this then he paid them off using the tax payers money and took credit for it....cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif