Dowry System

MantisMan

Is there a dowry system in Thailand?

If there is, how much is it and who do you pay it to?

Believe it or not, there IS one in Hong Kong.

My wife is HK Chinese and I would have to pay the in-laws US$2000.

I instead, paid one camel, 2 goats and a dozen chickens. I got a bargain! tongue.png

***sorry if there is already a thread on this topic

Sin Sod - An explanation contains many views and will show that this tradition varies on a case by case basis.

From my personal experience; I did not pay any sin sod when I married my wife, didn't even know such a tradition existed. When I later found out about it I asked her why I had paid nothing and she said it was because she had been married before and not lived with her parents for nearly 20 years.

When my stepson married he paid his fiancée's parents 200,000 baht. Her parents decided this was the correct amount as it was the same that their son, the bride's brother, paid when he married.

The money was put on show during the ceremony for photographs, after which the bride's mother collected it all up and carried it away.

Afterwards, 100K was returned to my stepson in cash and the other half used as the deposit on a car for the couple; with his agreement.

In addition to the cash, an agreed amount of gold was also displayed at the ceremony; can't remember the weight. This was kept by the couple (well, apart from the two rings, returned to me and my wife as it was ours).

The bride's parents paid for all the food and drink and the entertainment: we paid for the flowers. I offered a contribution to the other costs, which was politely declined.

Sin Sod - An explanation contains many views and will show that this tradition varies on a case by case basis.

From my personal experience; I did not pay any sin sod when I married my wife, didn't even know such a tradition existed. When I later found out about it I asked her why I had paid nothing and she said it was because she had been married before and not lived with her parents for nearly 20 years.

When my stepson married he paid his fiancée's parents 200,000 baht. Her parents decided this was the correct amount as it was the same that their son, the bride's brother, paid when he married.

The money was put on show during the ceremony for photographs, after which the bride's mother collected it all up and carried it away.

Afterwards, 100K was returned to my stepson in cash and the other half used as the deposit on a car for the couple; with his agreement.

In addition to the cash, an agreed amount of gold was also displayed at the ceremony; can't remember the weight. This was kept by the couple (well, apart from the two rings, returned to me and my wife as it was ours).

The bride's parents paid for all the food and drink and the entertainment: we paid for the flowers. I offered a contribution to the other costs, which was politely declined.

Oh if only it was always as simple as this.

got to ask, what in the hell and where in the hell did you get a camel in Hong Kong and what did they do with it, sounds just a bit wrong to me.............

He found it under his bridge

Um, say what? Bridge? Where did that come from? Left field?

Anyways, before the topic gets on a tangent as the case usually prevails on TV threads it was a serious question.

Thanks 7by7 for the link and post.

Edited by MantisMan

I instead, paid one camel, 2 goats and a dozen chickens ... facepalm.gif

Please try harder ... coffee1.gif

You mean I should have thrown in another camel?

HK or BKK ... what ... no Pigs? ... facepalm.gif

Camels are so passé nowadays

Lots of germs recently coming down from Shenzhen-Guangzhou region supposedly related to pigs.

People are getting scared.

Anyways, after reading about Sinsod (new vocabulary for me) with the link provided by 7by7, might be best to lock this thread up.

I've wasted enough of peoples time.sad.png