Non-imm O based on child with Thai woman

I'm looking at applying for a Non Imm O visa based on having a child in Thailand with a Thai partner but not married. I have had so much conflicting information it's not real.

The girlfriend who I have the child with asked at Jomtien Immigration office and was told it was possible by one person and not by another, both persons work at the immigration office facepalm.gif . I then saw an article in Pattaya Trader in November, attached, that said it was possible, yet the same Visa company said when I visited their office that it wasn't clap2.gif .

So getting really frustrated with this, has anyone actually managed to get a Visa to support a child?

I have been told that you can get one if your over 50, I'm under, but neither immigration or the visa shop mention a restriction on age.

Pattaya trader.pdf

what mario says is correct got an extension of stay based on a child 2007 i was told by the immigration that this is now unavailable as from 2008, but i spoke to another father of chinese decent who recently obtained the same extension after that date

obtaining the visa from a consulate im not sure about, however once you get the visa non o it can easily be extended in Thailand based on child dependency for a year at a time with proof of finance also

Not correct.

You must have 400k baht in the bank or 40k baht income to get an extension based upon being the legal parent of a Thai child.

obtaining the visa from a consulate im not sure about, however once you get the visa non o it can easily be extended in Thailand based on child dependency for a year at a time with proof of finance also

Not correct.

You must have 400k baht in the bank or 40k baht income to get an extension based upon being the legal parent of a Thai child.

40k income can be in a foreign bank with a certified embassy letter. 400k must be in a Thai bank

I was also told you can apply for the extension of stay if you have legally adopted a child. Can anyone confirm this?

Yes it is possible. A child adoption certificate is one of the required documents listed to get the extension.
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the replies. So seeing that it is possible and I have legitimised my child at the amphur does the initial visa have to be made in a consulate outside Thailand or would I be able to change my current non-imm B to non-imm O in Thailand and then get extensions in Thailand going forward ?

I talked to the consulate in Cardiff and they said they wouldn't give me a VIsa to support a child.

Thanks for all the replies. So seeing that it is possible and I have legitimised my child at the amphur does the initial visa have to be made in a consulate outside Thailand or would I be able to change my current non-imm B to non-imm O in Thailand and then get extensions in Thailand going forward ?

I talked to the consulate in Cardiff and they said they wouldn't give me a VIsa to support a child.

I was told you can extend a non imm b based on supporting a thai child

No change of visas would be needed nor would it be possible.

If you are on an extension of stay based upon working you would just change the reason for the extension.

If on a non-b visa entry you can apply for the extension without a problem. All that is required is a non immigrant visa entry of any type.

Without legitimization you would not be able to get a multiple entry visa at most places but should be able to get a single entry visa.

whistling.gif Being the father of a child by a Thai woman counts for nothing.

Being the LEGAL father of a child by a Thai woman is the key.

If you are not married you are going to have to go through a process of proving you are the legal father of a Thai child.

You won't get any extension unless you are the legal father of the child or the legal husband of the woman.

Almost all immigration procedures specify a legal marriage or a legal declaration that you are the legal father.

Otherwise forget any chance of an extension to stay with that child.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

• 4 weeks later...

The answer is that you certainly could. But as with everything else in Thailand, it depends on whom you talk to - or in this case, which consulate you approach. Cardiff were excellent, and quick, until early last year when I was told I couldn't obtain an O, based on my son, so had to settle for a triple entry tourist at the time. Immigration rules were the explanation, but as they also told me that I wouldn't be able to use my visa - now stick-on instead of stamped - with a replacement passport - patently wrong - and the previous consulate staff had retired, safe to say it was a Cardiff quirk rather than a rule change.

I'm now looking for another consulate to do the same - Hull, possibly - but otherwise will need to go the marriage route. You can, however, change one visa to another - e.g. tourist to O - at Chaeng Wattana, so long as you meet the requirements.