Bank Account In Bkk

Having arrived four weeks ago to live in Bangkok with my Thai wife and two year old daughter I decided it was time to open an account into which I could deposit 400,000 baht.

I went to the Kasikorn bank on Kho san road but was told that I could not open an account if I did not have work visa or houshold registration. The interest rates were good, 4.5% for 24 month term.

Which banks will accept me?

As an alternative am I able to open a JOINT bank account with my wife by which I could show my 400,000 savings. Or does the account have to be in my sole name?

Thanks

Bangkoktony

I do not believe immigration will accept anything but a regular savings account (passbook account) for support Thai wife as it is supposed to be used to support your wife - not as a bank guarantee. So the interest rate will be much less.

A joint account with wife should be fine.

It needs to be a sole account in your own name. Search other posts on this subject.

Try Siam Commercial or Bangkok Bank. Oh ... And keep away from Kho San road,

you do'nt want them to think you are the backpacker type,

even if you are, and certainly do'nt go into the bank looking like one !

Perhaps that was your problem :o perhaps not.

They are just yanking your chain regarding the work permit as a large number

of retirees will confirm. :D

Naka.

It most surly can be a joint account with your wife AFAIK. I specially asked, and was told by immigration in Bangkok, and used. I have not seen any post that this has changed for a support Thai wife extension of stay.

Banks seem to have recent orders not to open account without work permit but believe this requirement is not firm and they may ask for a letter from your Embassy or such instead of a work permit. As has always been the case it is very much go to the next branch if one does not want to play ball.

Bangkok Bank by Suk Soi 8 asked for a work permit AND a letter from the Embassy. Walked into SCB in Times Square and came out 20 mins later with bank account, ATM card and complementary clock radio! All I showed them was my passport.

Bangkok Bank by Suk Soi 8 asked for a work permit AND a letter from the Embassy. Walked into SCB in Times Square and came out 20 mins later with bank account, ATM card and complementary clock radio! All I showed them was my passport.

bangkok bank asked for a WP for a regular savings account? i have 4 accounts with them, without a WP ...my mom just opened one without a WP only like 5 weeks ago.

bangkok bank asked for a WP for a regular savings account? i have 4 accounts with them, without a WP ...my mom just opened one without a WP only like 5 weeks ago.

Which branch?

Guest endure

A friend of mine who's on a pension extension in Chiang Mai shows Immigration a combination of a savings account and a fixed term account for his 800,000bt every year and they seem quite happy with that.

Edited by endure

Which branch?

sukhumvit soi 8 :o

I wish I had a dollar for everytime I answered this same old question.

Kasikorn Bank, Sukh Rd, Soi 33, and BKK Bank opposite, on the ground floor outside The Emporium. :o

Work permit NOT required, go in dressed neatly, with your passport.

Get the Intl ATM card to go with your Savings A/C.