Suthep to meet military top brass tomorrow (Thursday)

Lite Beer

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The army is responsible for stability here. The protests threaten that, and all threats must be addressed. The Shinawatras threaten that, and all threats must be addressed.

People's lives are at stake here. This is not a football match.

My devil's advocate alter ego says "No sh##, Sherlock Holmes. Have another pipe full of cocaine while you rant one color or another."

The only bloodless solution is compromise, and both sides have made it very clear they will accept no compromise, for the good of the country, of course, (and the power base of each particular faction). Both sides are making the armed forces choose a lesser evil. A Nation article, suddenly removed, claimed the sudden power struggle is over succession, the Constitution and the future of the country. That was why the sneaky amnesty bill, the protests and the demands...

In the US, they call this a feeding frenzy...maybe some Thai hospital reports are mentioning the unmentionable demise in a timeframe? It would not surprise me.

I have great respect for the restraint the armed forces have shown, while these bickering children who are puppets of two kinds pretend to the high moral ground.

Tragic. Simply and profoundly tragic. If either side claims absolute power, no one will win....no one.

Good to see someone else reading between the lines and connecting the dots. There's a whole lot more going on here than most TV experts realize, unfortunately most of which we can't talk about (as I've repeatedly found out).

• Like 2

The red were digging their own grave, the people complained more and more about rice scheme and all the false promises. They just had to let it rotten a bit more to win the next elections... Then Suthep arrived and turned to be a mad dog....poor Dems

Deleted a post that was over the top and insulting to many members, as well as those who unfortunately quoted it. Please stop getting so wound up in local politics in which we have no say. It's not worth ripping each other apart.

• Like 2

[quote

A Nation article, suddenly removed, claimed the sudden power struggle is over succession, the Constitution and the future of the country. That was why the sneaky amnesty bill, the protests and the demands...

Very interesting...anybody else happen to read this article? The Nation, though known to be extreme anti Thaksin and ultra Royalist, would have been an interesting read.

Please see the BKK Post story titled "I Understand Suthep" -- the first story to field this idea, and written by Voranai. Scroll down the first page to the bottom, click Voranai Vanijaka (a really easy way to find the story - ha). You will see the column. A third of a way down the article, Voranai states "Why is this happening now" (paraphrased for content license restrictions). "a big, big change is coming to Thailand, and both sides want to be behind the "driver's wheel" when it happens. Duh. One plus one does not equal curry.

I am amazed either story was fielded, and disturbed the second one was pulled from the internet at the Nation. This is a taboo subject at the heart of the controversy. Maybe some leaked medical reports show something pending sooner than later is avaialble to the Powers That Be? I don't know, but I would not be surprised. Youth is not on the side of many people, including me.whistling.gif

thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

"Suthep Thaugsuban has said that the meeting tomorrow would be significant and could mean a turn of the countrys democracy rule."

"... could mean a turn of the countrys democracy rule."

What on earth is that supposed to mean?

It means Thailand and all its inhabitants will henceforth live peacefully and in contentment under the benevolent leadership of our most beloved great and dear leader Suthep

You'd rather have Thaksin?... because that's where we've been for the last ten years

No, but the 12 million people who voted in the current government probably don't want Suthep?

15.5 million, approx.

No, but the 12 million people who voted in the current government probably don't want Suthep?

12 mill is a small percentage of a country with 67 mill people.

The current government was voted in by over 53% in both constituency and proportional votes. A clear majority, leading to 60% of seats, again a clear majority.

Now what democratic mandate has Suthep ?

who cares democracy does not exist here and however many votes Taksin can buy does not make it democratic.

• Like 1

[quote

A Nation article, suddenly removed, claimed the sudden power struggle is over succession, the Constitution and the future of the country. That was why the sneaky amnesty bill, the protests and the demands...

Very interesting...anybody else happen to read this article? The Nation, though known to be extreme anti Thaksin and ultra Royalist, would have been an interesting read.

Please see the BKK Post story titled "I Understand Suthep" -- the first story to field this idea, and written by Voranai. Scroll down the first page to the bottom, click Voranai Vanijaka (a really easy way to find the story - ha). You will see the column. A third of a way down the article, Voranai states "Why is this happening now" (paraphrased for content license restrictions). "a big, big change is coming to Thailand, and both sides want to be behind the "driver's wheel" when it happens. Duh. One plus one does not equal curry.

I am amazed either story was fielded, and disturbed the second one was pulled from the internet at the Nation. This is a taboo subject at the heart of the controversy. Maybe some leaked medical reports show something pending sooner than later is avaialble to the Powers That Be? I don't know, but I would not be surprised. Youth is not on the side of many people, including me.whistling.gif

thumbsup.gif

Was The Nation story authored by crackpot freelance journalist Andrew Macgregor Marshall by the way? He is full of fantasitical conspiracy theories about Thailand's so called elite. That is if you can keep awake reading his pedestrian prose. Pity he can't travel to Thailand any more.

Edited by Dogmatix
  • Like 1

The current government was voted in by over 53% in both constituency and proportional votes. A clear majority, leading to 60% of seats, again a clear majority.

48% actually.

Hardly a majority.

Then someone paid other parties to form a coalition; as he did to form TRT..

Check your facts, please.

Edited by Soi Sauce
  • Like 1

Suthep served his purpose in raising a huge crowd and uniting various opposition groups. Now he can step back and retire. Abhisit and others should prepare for elections in february. Main point in their campaign should be showing and fighting the many corruption cases of the shina-clan.

• Like 1

48% actually.

Hardly a majority.

I suggest you do the same, My post is 100% correct and factual. You do realize that PT wasn't the only coalition party in the government ? In fact the government was a coalition of 5 parties, which as I said, had over 53% on both counts, and 60% of seats in parliament.

How that coalition was formed is immaterial.

Even if we do ignore the facts, 48% is a hell of a lot more than the second party, and it is in another league when Suthep is concerned, as he has 0% democratic mandate.

Go to the BKK Post and see the two photos for this story. The headline photo on the main page is a sad, concerned army officer and a fiercely determined righteous man demanding justice. The second one down the column is a worried and resigned military man listening to demands from a superior while he takes the "olive leaf" position and hides his genitalia in shame as he is (properly, of course) being corrected on the 'real situation'.

What's next? Let the photo ops riddle you this...

They have not yet mastered media photo op subtlety here...

clap2.gif and of course cheesy.gif

"Suthep Thaugsuban has said that the meeting tomorrow would be significant and could mean a turn of the countrys democracy rule."

"... could mean a turn of the countrys democracy rule."

What on earth is that supposed to mean?

it means pay attention to the constitution, who governs, by what right and what is the alternative with what is coming not far down the road regardless. .

All the pieces are snapping into place, its really not hard to work out what is being attempted and the message trying to be sent out in the press.

• Like 1

Suthep served his purpose in raising a huge crowd and uniting various opposition groups. Now he can step back and retire. Abhisit and others should prepare for elections in february. Main point in their campaign should be showing and fighting the many corruption cases of the shina-clan.

They aren't going to let abhisit and the lads mess it up again. They will get their council which who knows might contain abhisit and yingluck but not a parliament.

No, but the 12 million people who voted in the current  government probably don't want Suthep?

48% actually.

Hardly a majority.

I suggest you do the same, My post is 100% correct and factual. You do realize that PT wasn't the only coalition party in the government ? In fact the government was a coalition of 5 parties, which as I said, had over 53% on both counts, and 60% of seats in parliament.

How that coalition was formed is immaterial.

Even if we do ignore the facts, 48% is a hell of a lot more than the second party, and it is in another league when Suthep is concerned, as he has 0% democratic mandate.

And you're splitting hairs to enhance your argument...

They were not VOTED in to form government. PTP garnered 48% of the vote. This gave them first bite at the cherry to talk to the other parties to attempt to FORM a Government. I agree that how they formed this coalition is immaterial - shall we let the NACC decide perhaps? Anyway, I digress...

Majority equals 51% of the vote which then gives them the mandate.

Anything less than that, concessions need to be made/paid, backs need to be scratched etc etc to get the job done.

Don't kid yourself sjaak327 the Government does not have the majority, they have an agreement, one which PTP's "coalition" have the freedom to shift around and play favorites. This is not a unique situation specific to Thailand.

The fact that the top military people are meeting him shows they're taking him seriously.

Yeah, they took Seh Daeng seriously, too.     {style_image_url}/attachicon.gif sniper.gif

Was there any reason why they wouldn't have taken him seriously?

He was "one of them" yes, he may have went off the rails, but they knew - and more or less saw - what he was capable of doing.

So far Suthep's kept a fairly steady ship, how long that lasts is anyone's guess. His rhetoric has been just that, he hasn't called for violence (well I guess that's kind of relative, although I haven't heard him say anything insinuating violence) but I could be wrong and maybe there were subliminal messages portrayed within his speeches?

Someone out there familiar with the red cause of 2010, did the heads of the military meet openly with the heads of the red shirt protesters?

When's this little pow-wow kicking off tomorrow?

Just like to get an idea so I can tweet Richard Barrow and ask him if it will be safe to travel from the CBD to Swampy in January :P

They aren't going to let abhisit and the lads mess it up again. They will get their council which who knows might contain abhisit and yingluck but not a parliament.

At the last election the yellows called for a boycott of the Democratic Party and not likely to change their stance.

Suthep will likely argue that under the direction of the Shinawatras, the PTP has disqualified itself by its attempts to change the constitution (in favour of personal advantage to Thaksin), its attempt to change the composition of the Senate (to force through pro-Thaksin measure) and thirdly, force through an Amnesty Bill to allow back Thaksin. In short that the whole business of government has been corrupted towards a personal agenda and that the government has constantly lied in its denial at being directed from Dubai. He will state that it is impossible to normalise political activity while the Shinawatras are running things. But will the army do anything other than nod? At the very least he may get out of them a commitment to 'protect the constitution'. This is code for keeping Thaksin out.

Edited by SheungWan

And you're splitting hairs to enhance your argument...

They were not VOTED in to form government. PTP garnered 48% of the vote. This gave them first bite at the cherry to talk to the other parties to attempt to FORM a Government. I agree that how they formed this coalition is immaterial - shall we let the NACC decide perhaps? Anyway, I digress...

Majority equals 51% of the vote which then gives them the mandate.

Anything less than that, concessions need to be made/paid, backs need to be scratched etc etc to get the job done.

Don't kid yourself sjaak327 the Government does not have the majority, they have an agreement, one which PTP's "coalition" have the freedom to shift around and play favorites. This is not a unique situation specific to Thailand.

You shoudn't kid yourself. It cannot be denied that the government does have a majority, they have 300 out of 500 seats in parliament, now 300=60% which is more than 50%. As said the 5 parties did have over 53% on both the constituenty and proportional votes. Formation of coalition governments is normal practice in almost any democratic country and of course the mandate is calculated based upon the whole coalition, not just one party !

The only out of the ordinairy thing here is that the biggest party achieved a whopping 48% of the popular vote, even more confirming the mandate they did receive. PT achieved these 48% not in a dual party democracy such as the US, but in a multiple party democracy such as Thailand. 48% is an outstanding achievement, certainly considering the second party only received 35% of the votes, which is quite a distance away.

Of course this is all a moot dicussion. As PT alone already received a clear majority in parliament with their 265 seats. Doubts about the mandate of the government are silly as they clearly had a mandate.

Edited by sjaak327
  • Like 2

This guy is dangerous for Thailand.

I'm no fan of the current government, but this man would be worse.

My vote is for a super rich convicted criminal living in a foreign country to run Thailand - do I have a second ?

No can't second it smedly! it would never work for long.