Shooting and Knife Fight Outside Pattaya Bar Is Ignored

Benmart

I live on Soi 15 in a highrise condo, next to the large, upscale Hotel (M.....e) in the center of the block.

On November 29th, a newly rennovated bar opened at 9 pm and closed after 7am. The music went on all night, with enough bass to make my double glazed windows rattle. Multiple calls to the police did nothing to quiet the bar down.

At around 7 am i went out front to watch the chaos, with a video camera in my pocket. Around 7:30 am the drunken crowd began leaving with people carrying large bottles of liquor and staggering to their cars and scooters. The crowd in front of the bar swelled to around 50 people and then a fight broke out. There was lots of screaming and one man was on the ground with multiple assailants kicking and punching him.

I was on the phone calling the police and the person on the other end said tht help would be send. Then two shots rang out. A man in a black shirt had an automatic pistol in hand and was shooting into the air. The reason I assume was to break up the fight. More screaming and a stampede of people followed. I again called the police to report shots fired, knives being used and a man down who was being beaten.

The man with the gun had grabbed another man, wearing a blue shirt, pointed the gun to head of the blue-shirted man, while they struggled back and forth. Another man in a camouflage green jacket ran over and slashed at the blue-shirted man repeatedly with a knife. Blood was flying and lots of screaming.

This entire incident was filmed by me on my camera while I took shelter behind a ground mounted sign marquee. Still no police on the scene. After most of the crowd dispersed, a lone policeman drove up very cautiously on his scooter, later to be joined by two others.

The police exchanged a few chats with bar security and left. No interviews of people at scene, no perimeter established at an obvious crime scene, no canvassing the neighbors or reporting party for statements, no evidence taken (spent casings on ground), no photographs or video and no arrests. I had told the person on the phone when I called in, where I could be located for a statement, it was never contacted.

I went to the police station later in the day to file a complaint and gave the police a copy of the video. This bar has continued to operate as usual, opening at midnight and closing down at around 7:30 am. As I type it closed some 15 minutes ago.

The condo I live in has an attorney is working to get something done. This was the same case when the old bar was in business and it should be interesting to see how this is resolved. Guess who owners this bar?

The country and city is concerned about tourist arrivals being down. They should also be concerned about public safety and the Image that this sort of incident generates. I won't even go into the corruption and complicity of public officials in this matter.

Pattaya

• Like 1

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So are you going to upload the video to YouTube then post the link here?

Also, as a foreigner I would reccomend staying out of the fight issue and just try to stick to resolving the operating hours so you can sleep along with everyone else around there I imagine.

Go to City Hall, 3rd floor and speak with the Litigator (Thai of course) and file a report as they are operating after legal hours.

Thanks. I will be at city hall tomorrow. Yes, I am staying out of the fight/public safety issue. The condo and their attorney is fighting that fight.

So are you going to upload the video to YouTube then post the link here?

Also, as a foreigner I would reccomend staying out of the fight issue and just try to stick to resolving the operating hours so you can sleep along with everyone else around there I imagine.

Go to City Hall, 3rd floor and speak with the Litigator (Thai of course) and file a report as they are operating after legal hours.

"So are you going to upload the video to YouTube then post the link here?"

I wouldn't recommend standing about photographing or videoing people doing such things ... in Thailand or anywhere else. Someone might be a bit camera-shy and take exception to your interest.

Thanks for the advice. I wasn't standing plain view.

why does the video link not work, why when i hover my mouse over the link do i get a message about winning a prize...why do i get the feeling this poster is a lying ******** writing an attention getting story to earn clicks?

I never sent or posted a link. Please provide the one you have and let me know where you got it.

The feeling you are getting is most likely mental illness. Earning clicks is irrelevant and harldy worth the laugh from me that your comment generated.

• Like 1

For bar Late Opening/Noise issues I would recommend calling City Hall Helpline 1337.

The first visit only results in a report, but if there are further complaints they do act.

Thanks. I will do that and will pass it on to the other condo owners/renters here.

Is this report similar to the bogus report of the murder of a Norwegian kid killed by a ladyboy's spiked-heel to the head that was to have occurred and ignored on soi 7 (or 8...can't remember now)?

Another dramatic Pattaya urban legend?

No OMG. No lady boy involved and no spiked heel. Just a first hand report of what I observed.

If you PM me, we can arrange a time to meet at the Soi 9 police station and I will give you a copy of the police report and let you view the video. Then you can lay your skepticism to rest. It's in your court, so please take up the offer. I can't do any better than that.

• Like 1

If I was the OP, I would back out of it and don't pursue it any further and most certainly don't post the video

Sometimes it's better to walk away wai.gif

I could not disagree more. If we want to be scared sheeps and then go quietly away in the night what is the point of living. If something ever happens to you do you want people to mind thier own businss and do nothing? I have filmed Jet ski fights and also given them to the police on Soi 9, as a matter of fact I film when ever I see fights or situations that might lead to one. You just has to leave quickly when it ends, the ones that are bad I upload to youtube. I do this because I don't like see thugs get away with things. I think once it's up on youtube it is safer for the person than before it is shared.

If I was the OP I would try to get a brief thai translation of the events and post that along with it so it could be shared in the Thai social websites. I would also send it to some of the local media sites to see if they are interested in the story.

• Like 2

If I was the OP, I would back out of it and don't pursue it any further and most certainly don't post the video

Sometimes it's better to walk away wai.gif

I could not disagree more. If we want to be scared sheeps and then go quietly away in the night what is the point of living. If something ever happens to you do you want people to mind thier own businss and do nothing? I have filmed Jet ski fights and also given them to the police on Soi 9, as a matter of fact I film when ever I see fights or situations that might lead to one. You just has to leave quickly when it ends, the ones that are bad I upload to youtube. I do this because I don't like see thugs get away with things. I think once it's up on youtube it is safer for the person than before it is shared.

If I was the OP I would try to get a brief thai translation of the events and post that along with it so it could be shared in the Thai social websites. I would also send it to some of the local media sites to see if they are interested in the story.

Don't get me wrong, please . I admire you for doing this.

There has been mass media attention (even world wide) to the Jetski maffia, and what happened ?? ... Nothing

Is the Jetski maffia still going on strong ?? .. Yes

And a lone guy towards a bar (with maybe police protection) leave it alone wai.gif

Ps: But someone has to start somewhere, so I wish the OP the best of luck if he is going to pursue this

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

why does the video link not work, why when i hover my mouse over the link do i get a message about winning a prize...why do i get the feeling this poster is a lying ******** writing an attention getting story to earn clicks?

What video link??

Strange...not making this up, there were several blue coloured links embedded in the post when I first read it...not there now...some kind of virus type thing on my computer or the website, maybe...or mental illness as the OP suggested...

Yes let the noise thing take it's own course but of course complain to City Hall but Dang it post the dang video !!! lol

Normally a shooting would be in the news but nothing and it's not just being "covered up".

Just curious what the OP expected when he moved into a condo in the middle of a circus? Having lived in high-traffic tourist areas myself, I understand the frustration. You either adapt, accept it or move. Not many other options because if you make waves, you will be the one to pay the price.

Edited by Loptr
  • Like 1

I would advise OP to forget what you witnessed, delete and forget the recording. If the number you gave to police, if pre payed, toss it, get a new sim.

Stay healthy!

Sent from my C6802 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I would advise OP to forget what you witnessed, delete and forget the recording. If the number you gave to police, if pre payed, toss it, get a new sim.Stay healthy!Sent from my C6802 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thanks. I will pass that on to the 50 or so other farangs and Thais that live and work in the surrounding business, that witnessed the incident, to do the same.

I hope that you never are the victim of a crime, when others turn a blind eye and fail to step forward in your search for justice.

• Like 1

He ain't lying. I did not see it, but know several others who did. I even saw the cartidge cases that someone (not the police) picked up.

As for posting the video, perhaps OP does not know how to do it. Nothing unusual in that - I would not know how.