Depressed by ill health, Phuket Swede commits suicide

webfact

They found 3 fruit knives, a kitchen knife and a sledge hammer, all bloodied. No way he could have stabbed himself with the 3 fruit knives, then clobbed his own head and as he was falling down, slit his own throat and fallen dead with a big thud which was heard by his wife when she decided to break the door. Before that she kept calling him and there was no noise? Utter BS.

Perhaps a finger print expert could be flown in from farangland to take a look at the knife handles. thumbsup.gif

But there would have been so many more, easier, ways to kill himself, i.e. suffocating himself with a pillow, excessive hyperventilating Bangkok rush hour air, talking a safety guard into a heated argument, taxi driving in Bangkok and refusing to pay the driver, bar-hopping and long drink testing on Phi-Phi, opening a go-go bar on Koh Lanta, hiking in Yala, singing with a local band and refusing to leave the stage, jostling against a ladyboy in Pattaya, or driving a couple of times the route Phuket/Bangkok with a VIP bus...

Edited by catweazle

Health woes blamed for Swedish expat suicide in Phuket

Phuket Gazette

phuketnews_20131212113325308_XwcsmJYcluM

Rescue workers found several blood-stained knives and a pound hammer at the scene. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: -- A Swedish expat who had repeatedly told his girlfriend he wanted to die because of health problems killed himself yesterday after sending his girlfriend out to buy lunch.

When Kotchamon Boonraksa, 38, returned to the house in Rawai an hour later, the doors and windows were locked.

“I called his phone again and again, but he didn’t answer,” she said. “When I heard something fall onto the floor, I broke in through the back door.”

Once inside, Ms Kotchamon found Per Torben Lindgren, 57, lifeless on his bed. His throat had been cut.

Police and Ruamjai rescue workers called to the scene found three knives and a hammer all stained with blood on the floor, said Capt Thada Sodarak of the Chalong Police.

Ms Kotchamon told officers that the couple had lived in the house for about three years.

“We didn’t have any problems with each other and we didn’t argue,” she said. “But he said many times that he wanted to die because of health problems.”

Mr Lindgren had been sick recently and had a checkup with his doctor. He was supposed to go in to get his test results today, Ms Kotchamon said.

Capt Thada said police would question neighbors and review autopsy results from Vachira Phuket Hospital before confirming the cause of death.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Health-woes-blamed-for-Swedish-expat-suicide-in-Phuket-23006.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2013-12-12

Why on earth have these so called rescue workers picked up the exhibits/evidence and laid it out on the floor for a photo opportunity? The possible crime scene is now totally contaminated. These exhibits would be tagged and photographed/video in situ, they will then be placed in paper bags and sealed touched by one person alone who will make a statement. I have attended numerous suspicious deaths and yes we call in the ambos to check on the body and they say yes dead but we never let them gather exhibits or evidence so they can pose for a photo opportunity.

Once the Ambos have arrived and determined there is nothing they can do, their details are noted and they leave the scene. They definitely don't gather up exhibits or eveidence and smile for the media.

Thailand grow up and get some knowledge on investigations. You are silly little kids playing cops and robbers

How do we/you know that the scene wasn't photographed with knives in situ? The cops are wearing latex gloves, so leaving no prints. I think some posters here are jumping to conclusions, but having said that, I find cutting one's own throat implausible at best, not impossible, but not hugely likely.

You don't have to cut the throat, just the carotid artery. Very easy and a relatively painless way to die.

For all those that think this could be murder, please explain the bucket he bled into.

Over the years, there have been many suicides here due to ill health. It springs from not wanting to be a burden to their families.

• Like 1

First off I knew Ben. He was very private. And proud. He was respectful and didn't create problems for others. He was well known on the various 8-ball pool leagues in southern Phuket.

Over recent weeks he had become withdrawn and complained about his health often. It was plain to see that he wasn't well. Anybody who knows Ben and his partner (contrary to reports they were not married AFAIK) has no doubt that this was anything other than a tragic suicide by a man in pain.

To those who have commented above, and those who might comment below please remember that he has left a grieving partner, a grieving family in Sweden (some of them have now arrived here), and many shocked local friends who may read your comments about "murder", "follow the money" etc. I doubt any of you would want your loved ones to have to read similar conjecture should you meet an untimely demise.

RIP Ben. You were a good neighbour who lived as you saw fit, and died as you saw fit.

Good and timely post thumbsup.gif

All these TV conspiracy theorists ought to be ashamed [but no doubt wont be!]

Thanks for clarifying the sad situation.

R,I,P ...Now free of all the pain and angst that chronic illness can cause.

You don't have to cut the throat, just the carotid artery. Very easy and a relatively painless way to die.

For all those that think this could be murder, please explain the bucket he bled into.

Over the years, there have been many suicides here due to ill health. It springs from not wanting to be a burden to their families.

+ 1

Poor bugger RiP.

They forgot to mention that suicides in Thailand normally have their hands tied behind their back - if this was not the situation in this unfortunate fellows demise - then the ambos report may well have some credence to it. coffee1.gif

First off I knew Ben. He was very private. And proud. He was respectful and didn't create problems for others. He was well known on the various 8-ball pool leagues in southern Phuket.

Over recent weeks he had become withdrawn and complained about his health often. It was plain to see that he wasn't well. Anybody who knows Ben and his partner (contrary to reports they were not married AFAIK) has no doubt that this was anything other than a tragic suicide by a man in pain.

To those who have commented above, and those who might comment below please remember that he has left a grieving partner, a grieving family in Sweden (some of them have now arrived here), and many shocked local friends who may read your comments about "murder", "follow the money" etc. I doubt any of you would want your loved ones to have to read similar conjecture should you meet an untimely demise.

RIP Ben. You were a good neighbour who lived as you saw fit, and died as you saw fit.

A voice of reason Red Cardinal. Hopefully that will now temper future posts on the way this poor man died.

• 1 month later...

@RedCardinal:

I am a close friend of one of Torben's sons, who refuses to believe that this was murder, but it is so obvious that it was. I respect and thank you for being so kind in your post, having his family and friends in mind... but I know a few things (which you might not) which would make his suicide illogical.
Not saying you are not right, but I strongly believe you are wrong.

I am not gonna push this any further though and I respect my friend's opinion on the matter....
I just feel so sorry for my friend, his brother and everyone else related to Torben. He was a very gentle man and murder or not; he didn't deserve this kind of fate.

May Torben rest in peace...

They found 3 fruit knives, a kitchen knife and a sledge hammer, all bloodied. No way he could have stabbed himself with the 3 fruit knives, then clobbed his own head and as he was falling down, slit his own throat and fallen dead with a big thud which was heard by his wife when she decided to break the door. Before that she kept calling him and there was no noise? Utter BS.

Actually, you can.

If you attach an anvil, or heavy stones, to the top of each knife and attach the cables to the door knob, wait for the door to open, or attach a rope from your big toe to the knob, and simply pull it, the knifes would fall straight down.

Same same with the sledgehammer. I mean, just look at the old Wiley the coyote cartoons. Blame it on Acme Inc.