Number of passengers using Suvarnabhumi Airport does not reach growth target

webfact

By Digital Content

13868401323239.jpg

BANGKOK, Dec 12 - The number of passengers using Suvarnabhumi Airport during this high season period did not reach its 6 per cent growth target.

Suvarnabhumi Airport Director Raweewan Netarakavesana said although the passenger figure did not drop compared to the same period last year, it did not grow at 6 per cent as targeted by Airports of Thailand Plc, but rather grew only by one per cent.

However, she noted that the figure is still to be monitored until the end of the tourism season.

According to the Airports of Thailand, the number of passengers using Suvarnabhumi Airport from Nov 26-Dec 5 (10 days) reached around 142,000 per day, which is a one-per cent increase year-on-year, while the number of flights reached 181, a rise of 16 per cent year-on-year. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-12-12

Huh. That particular airport was getting very close to capacity so how would there be much growth possible anyways? This was always one of the year's best DW put candidates, with or without any political issues of any kind having ever even gotten started.

Edited by maewang99

TAT says different week in week out.

I went on my forced 90 day reporting re visa, also at Nongkhai /Laos (for midweek) there were masses getting visas to enter Laos, In all my years I have never ever had to stand in a queue as long as that.

Maybe many people are then not flying out using Swampy, but as in so many cases getting on tour busses and crossing borders, Laos seems to be a nice favourite.

Just to add use baht to buy dollar and pay Laos 35 dollars for your visa rather than 1,500 bht. at money exchange window near. exchange 1,260 baht for 35 dollars, save 240 baht. Sorry it was a bit off topic but a slight reason airport numbers are not hitting the target. One of countless reasons.

• Like 1

Huh. That particular airport was getting very close to capacity so how would there be much growth possible anyways? This was always one of the year's best DW put candidates, with or without any political issues of any kind having ever even gotten started.

capacity...I recall on Don Muang...operating on 120, 130, 140, 150 % capacity......Or the in the 2011 flooding the dam full at 120 %.

Capacities are something flexible in Thailand.....

But really you can run things higher than the planed capacity.

• Like 1

I was just in and out of Thailand, Sept 23, out Dec 6. I flew in from the USA LAX on EVA. Arrived at 1100, departed at about 1700. I didn' think the airport was very crowded. Inbound immigration passport control took about 30 minutes. Departing took no time at all. Wasn't a line anywhere.

How do these imbicles come up with their fictitous numbers...

142,000 pax divide by 181 flights is 784 pax per flight...

Buy a calculator dummy

I'm actually looking at the AOT's official statistics and the numbers do not make sense at all in this news story. The passenger counts seem like they could be correct, but 181 flights a day is completely wrong.

http://aot.listedcompany.com/transport.html

"very close to capacity"

Which is why they transferred several million PAX, and all the low-cost-carriers, back to DMK.

Thus releasing a lot of slots on the runways.

Anyway, the third runway & new terminal-extensions are supposed to be well-underway by now, unless AAT has been telling 'porkies' again, or the government has failed to fund them ?

What this should say is: Actual numbers of passengers do not match numbers, pulled out of someone's behind at the TAT- office on a daily basis!

1% is better than 0% plus the fact that Air Asia moved to DMK im sure made an overall yearly impact compared to last year. Also, what do you expect with the political situation thats been happening the past couple months?

Couple of YEARS.coffee1.gif

TAT says different week in week out.

The numbers that I read from the TAT were only marginally different. As I recall the number of tourist arrivals was down

about 1,400 people a day. This number is only slightly different and could be explained as locals who are not

considered foreign tourist arrivals have not changed there travel plans and are using the airport so they figure

in the numbers slightly differently and thus the numbers are still up slightly. I know that Suvarnabhumi Airport

is not the major airport of LCCT of domestic airlines but I think the numbers are close.

This year, I booked my ticket for my latest get away from the Canadian winter, very early, and arrived early November. During the months of September, October, and November, the price of return tickets from Toronto to Bangkok went down to as low as CAD850.00 return. Upon arrival, I found out why - another Opposition Party attempt to set up their own government system with many of their leaders having accusations and warrants out for previous "crimes." Is it any wonder that the tourists are not arriving in Bangkok? Also, as a handicapped person, although the wheelchair service is great, no problems there, the airport has never been an outstanding airport. Every time the wheelchair goes over a "joint" on the walkway, it jolts and causes me much pain. (Never experienced that anywhere else, and I have used about 30 different airports over the last 20 years.) It has never been included in the top 10 airport list that is published annually. I remember the debacle that raged before it was even built on swampy land sold by a politician to his family so they could sell it to the government. Also, there were many problems getting it certified, remember the cracks that appeared in the runways from the aircraft landing and taking-off due to the use of poor planning and inferior materials used, not withstanding the never explained fire at the Thai Airways kitchen. prior to the opening. There are other airports that steadily increase there annual number of arrivals and departures but they have more competent personnel in charge of everything.

Obvious really, Suthep and his <deleted> army that want power without getting elected kinda put people off coming here, it's a big world they can go and quite happily spend their money somewhere else and not in Thailand.

We all have our thoughts on the protests right or wrong, BUT the biggest thing here you are not recognizing is---prevention in the first place. Good governance, fair, with your people in mind, free of corruption-OR at least fight it, not get into the worlds most corrupt country chart.

2 and a half years wasted, on the road to bankruptcy ministers in positions NOT on experience but yes men, the PM doubling up as defense minister is crazy.

Prevention better than cure. You cannot see ?? if it wasn't Suthep it would be another, democratically elected -well?? but NOT democratically governed.