Thailand ranks the world’s third in highest road fatalities

Lite Beer

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In 10 years time nothing will have changed bad driving is engrained in Thai society from that first motorbike for going to school to the purchase of your full licence and that first car and you had to teach all these bad drivers on the road how to drive correctly with me first attitude all the time, and no one cares about the police on the road they are only in the country to collect tea money not uphold the rule of law, Thailand a perfect country for a fly drive / death holiday.

According to Australian road safety expert, the best way to reduce road fatalities and loss should be done through encouraging the people to be aware of traffic rules, stringent enforcement of traffic laws.

Driving on the roads here for the past 6 years, has been a nightmare, although, in saying this, I have been lucky enough to have NOT had any type of incident on the roads.

The Licensing process is a total farce, and NON ENFORCEMENT of the road laws, obviously does nothing to help. Here in Jomtien, 'fresh' Pedestrian Crossing have been painted on the roads, FOR WHAT??? Most of the roads have NO LANE MARKINGS, not that most drivers would take any notice. IF and NOT GOING TO HAPPEN, the BIB were stationed at major intersections, Crossings etc. and FINE everyone, not just Farangs, for Road Offences, maybe, just maybe, some drivers/riders would start to observe the Road Rules - DREAMING. It's going to be a total overhaul of the Lic. System, Enforcement.......................Doesn't matter.

Note the Australian solution is more regulation and police everything,... best you keep your "expert" at home in the planets largest cage.

This moring while having breakfast in a coffee shop, i looked out the window and watched the traffic. What did i have to see? A BMW X1 where daddy let´s his about 6 year old boy sit on his lap and letting him play "driving" Even a minor bump in the city might trigger the airbag, then what? Or in a critical situation the boy might disturb daddy and they will run over the family of 4 on their scooter, posted some earlier here.

I also wanted to defend the locals to some extend and i don´t need the same overregulation as at home, some sleaziness would be nice in the west. But Thailand deserves to be criticised for it´s COMPLETE lack of concern for ANY kind of safety.

As a citizen of a western advanced nation, I am really not at all surprised by this statement.

Indeed, I am wondering why the fatalities are not higher, as living and driving in Pattaya is like a real life horrific "Play Station" game, to be played every day on the roads here.

A friend of mine that stayed with me on a visit, likened Pattaya to an "Old Wild West" town in the Gold rush that had been brought forward to the present day.

His one and only visit to Thailand

When you take a totally inadequit Police Force/Law Enforcement system, the total disregard for drink / drug driving, and the attitude that many Thais, and indeed some "farangs" have that the law is for somebody else to obey, and not for me, then the concequences will show in headlines like these.

Combine these things with a country that has a populus of over 14 Million people without any form of a driving licsense ( that take only days to aquire )or formal training with vehicles, a poor education system for the masses, along with a culture where life is cheap, and there is absolutely no way to improve the horrendous death toll.

Sure the Government are concerned, because of the potential loss of revenue from tourists that consider,( and rightly so ) that Thailand is much too dangerous a place for a family holiday.

Will the situation improve at all over the next few years ? - I very much doubt that it will

Well, I have just moved from to Chiangmai from China after living and working there for the last six years. I wrote a blog entry last year about "How to Drive in China". I believe I could change the title to "How to Drive in Thailand"! Although, I have to say, despite the statistics, it is much saner driving here in Chiangmai then it was in Wuhan, China. You can check out the blog entry at *link edited out*.

Folks, let's get to the root causes of this traffic mayhem: (this is from my experience in Asia in general, not just Thailand)

Feel free to add.

1) Owning a car was an out-of-reach dream for the vast majority of the population just 20 years ago.

Now that they have the means (cash, bank loans) EVERYONE wants to realize the dream. That usually means 2-3 cars per family sometimes.

2) Messed up status-wealth display:

The bigger and more expensive whatever it is you drive, the more important you must be. So you start with a motobike, you realize you look like a low-class fool, so you move up to a Honda, then a Lexus SUV, then a Hammer-whatever humongous SUV that doesn't even fit in your stupid Soi.

3) Streets and traffic flow in metropolitan areas in Thailand (especially BKK) were designed by drunks, maybe on yaba too. Or simply they were designed when the wealthy had bikes and the rest had...donkeys.

Not much to say here, we've all seen it: sois that lead to nowhere, allowing U-turns on major arteries and blocking traffic and/or causing a few deaths (because there is no other way to get to your destination). Too late to scrap the whole thing now.

4) "Motobike" drivers behaving as pedestrians. Why? because they are as many as the pedestrians!

"So, I don't drive a car, so I must be allowed to drive this on the sidewalk."

5) Zero traffic police enforcement. In most places there is no traffic police to begin with.

Combine that with numbers 1-4 above, and you get the result of the thread headline.

Note: I would love to read any local Thai people's reaction to all this. They are usually very vocal on other things.

Apart from being uneducated, ignorant & down right cheeky pricks on the road then the more the merrier that die then I ain't going to complain... Never have I seen such blatant disregard for other road user in this country.... Then what else would you expect from Thais!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

It amazes me that we have 7 pages of comments that almost all are so far off the mark. Do you people think about what you're saying? I am perplexed at the amount of comments advocating handing more powers over to the government and police that you already acknowledge as corrupt and incompetent. Why in the HELL do you want "enforcement" against the people? You don't think they'll step up their tactics of harassment with new laws on the books to give them greater flexibility?

Many of you are advocating the same exact statist government policies that we chose to get away from back in our home countries (US/Europe/Australia).

Thailand doesn't need ANY new laws to deal with traffic.

I'll repeat what I said on the previous page;

I blame the car tax.

As a result, people buy little motorbikes which aren't safe. Far too often I've seen families of 4 piled on to a motorbike. That is very dangerous. They should be in a car instead. Much higher chance of surviving an accident than on a motorbike.

That said, no new laws!

Keep the laws (or lack there of) the way it is and repeal the car tax. Go to a free market economy with autos so poorer people can afford them and not ride these dangerous motorbikes.

Lots of people on scooters being knocked down by crap drivers in cars, minivans, busses. Most of the deaths have to be

scooter drivers and people riding in the beds of pick-up trucks driven by drivers who have been over-served.

Ex-pats pick up a lot of bad driving habits here as well, so we are not innocent as much as we complain about Thai drivers.

Driving under the influence, going through lights 5-6 seconds after the light turns red, making a left on a red just following

the car in front without checking if there is traffic coming through, driving with cars whose windows a tinted so dark the drivers

(and pedestrians) of other vehicles cannot see the driver and are unsure in they have been seen (eye contact). While everyone

bitches ex-pat geriatric drivers are part of the problem as well. Just being honest.

Ulic get's it!

Well said!

It amazes me that we have 7 pages of comments that almost all are so far off the mark. Do you people think about what you're saying? I am perplexed at the amount of comments advocating handing more powers over to the government and police that you already acknowledge as corrupt and incompetent. Why in the HELL do you want "enforcement" against the people? You don't think they'll step up their tactics of harassment with new laws on the books to give them greater flexibility?

Many of you are advocating the same exact statist government policies that we chose to get away from back in our home countries (US/Europe/Australia).

I blame the car tax.

As a result, people buy little motorbikes which aren't safe. Far too often I've seen families of 4 piled on to a motorbike. That is very dangerous. They should be in a car instead. Much higher chance of surviving an accident than on a motorbike.

That said, no new laws!

Keep the laws (or lack there of) the way it is and repeal the car tax. Go to a free market economy with autos so poorer people can afford them and not ride these dangerous motorbikes.

Lots of people on scooters being knocked down by crap drivers in cars, minivans, busses. Most of the deaths have to be

scooter drivers and people riding in the beds of pick-up trucks driven by drivers who have been over-served.

Ex-pats pick up a lot of bad driving habits here as well, so we are not innocent as much as we complain about Thai drivers.

Driving under the influence, going through lights 5-6 seconds after the light turns red, making a left on a red just following

the car in front without checking if there is traffic coming through, driving with cars whose windows a tinted so dark the drivers

(and pedestrians) of other vehicles cannot see the driver and are unsure in they have been seen (eye contact). While everyone

bitches ex-pat geriatric drivers are part of the problem as well. Just being honest.

Ulic get's it!

Well said!

Who said anything about MORE powers and rules?

Just enforce EXISTING rules and regulations, that would have a dramatic effect on road deaths.

If that had been done maybe my Thai brother in law would not have become a victim of a drunk driver. He didn't die at the scene but clung to life for a week before finally succumbing to his terrible injuries.

My Thai mother in law almost became a second victim when she attempted suicide soon after her sons death.

Car tax is maybe 5000 bht. Abandon that and a half million bht car becomes 495,000 bht. Now tell me how a poor family can afford that when they can barely manage the monthly payment on a 40k bht scooter?

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

1 Allow BIB to conficate any motorcyclists without crash helmet

2 Allow officer most success each month to have pick of best bike

3 Remainder to be auctioned /sold by local Public Hopsitals ALL FUNDS to hospital

4 Add passenger fines and parents/owners fined for child law breakers who have no insurance.

5 Rinse and repeat in Malaysia its very rare to see no helmet similar heat income etc

6 Free/hal price Quality helmets provided to all accident victims by hospitals

7 Hi-So celbrity Hello Kittys to promote scheme during cmpulsary ads in Soap Operas

8 Repeat offenders to do volunatry work in Hospitals sine die

9 Insurance t be invalidated unless owning using helmet even for theft

10 Really bureaucratic but coded helmets linked to a rider (not necesarily vehicle)

Whats to lose.

Very poor hiltribes etc give a year to adapt or apply to hospitals from sale proceeds

Please tear this apart ,but Isee incentive for enforcement ,public health a win win.

Who knows topcop of year gets a Ferrai and allowed to crush one drink magnate per year

There are 2 basic problems on this subject.

The driving test is useless, one lap with a few chores in between, get them wrong have another go until you get it right along with no driving tuition exept what you learn on a games video, where everyone gets up after the crash.

The Police, nice uniform, Thailand likes a nice uniform more badges the better ( you can get them down Big C) but they dont know the law ( I think) and they dont want to enforce it unless they can keep some money, so, they are a 9-5 government employee who does not care and until those 2 things change, carnage will reign.

Out on the motorbike yesterday, cop passes us they we both pass another Thai on a bike, on the phone, no helmet, policeman speeds away, remind me what is their job?

Driving in Thailand is DEFINETLY not a pleasure that's for sure.

Hopefully in years to come it will improve......

It will NEVER improve because learning to do things properly is not part of the Thai character.

The Thaksin Government gave huge tax refunds on new cars. This created an increase in rta's because people without licences were buying and driving new cars.

My sister in law - in common with many other Thais, failed her test but in exchange for 2000 baht she got her licence.

Buys a new car and within a week it's a wreck.

My wife can drive and she drives better than most Thais - I have taught her using the British standard. She does 3-point turns, reverses around corners, squeezes our Vigo into small parking spaces etc etc etc. However, she has failed her test three times. She refuses to bribe, so they won't give her a licence.

Here in Chiang Mai, helmets are generally not worn unless the riders see a police block. The helmet then goes on (unstrapped) and as soon as they have passed the cops, the helmet comes off again.

Even stupid farangs do this.

I see bad driving - both on scooters and in cars - every day. Really, they have no idea how to drive. They can move the car but they cannot drive.

So whatever the Goverment does, I cannot see anything improving until the way the whole society is run and organised is reviewed.

Last night going to a funeral. The highway is being upgraded to 4 lanes. On approaching an almost complete section. The vehicle in front went down the wrong side of the barrier. Hugging it for over a kilometre, before turning right. He saved 300 metres, by not using the u-turn

It's real simple you dumb ass government, hire real road cops give them radar guns and write tickets for speeding! Speed is killing thousands of people every year. "Speed Kills"!!!!! Period.

I think speed is a minor issue here.

People speed even in counties that have pretty safe roads.

It is the lunatic truck drivers and pickup drivers that pull straight out of a u-turn on a 110KM/H road in front of speeding traffic. Or driving the wrong way down a carriageway, or motorcycles going round the elevated u-turns the wrong direction. The drivers just swinging straight out in front of you to get across to a u-turn (especially trucks and buses). The jumping of red lights too early or too late.

I drive all over Thailand and most of the silver spray paint on the roads are at u-turns and traffic light controlled junctions. These are the major black spots.

In Korat in the past 6 weeks there has been 3 fatal accidents at the exact same traffic light controlled junction 1.5KM from my house and all caused by trucks smashing into vehicles waiting at the lights.

They really need to crack down on these truck drivers and their companies. 5 year prison for causing death should be mandatory. Bring in 'dangerous driving' laws with mandatory 1 year bans and huge fines for the company owner. Dish out huge fines to drivers for breaking traffic laws, and use the revenue to close down the u-turns on the high speed roads and build elevated u-0turns instead.

Then may they see an improvement.

It's certainly not the speed.

What causes these enormous number of fatalities is the high percentage of motorcyclists (which are much more dangerous for their passengers then cars), the drunk driving, and the lack of obeying the traffic laws.

Of course obeying the law and drunk driving depends on enforcement as well as education, but both are non-existent in Thailand, so no hope of improvement there.

Just for comparison, in my home country the number of road fatalities per 100K people is around 3 (less than a 10th of the Thai figures), and it keeps dropping every year.

I blame the car tax.

That said, no new laws!

Ulic get's it!

Well said!

Just enforce EXISTING rules and regulations, that would have a dramatic effect on road deaths.

If that had been done maybe my Thai brother in law would not have become a victim of a drunk driver. He didn't die at the scene but clung to life for a week before finally succumbing to his terrible injuries.

My Thai mother in law almost became a second victim when she attempted suicide soon after her sons death.

Car tax is maybe 5000 bht. Abandon that and a half million bht car becomes 495,000 bht. Now tell me how a poor family can afford that when they can barely manage the monthly payment on a 40k bht scooter?

There are all sorts of sad stories. I myself spend two weeks in the hospital with broken ribs from a motorcycle accident. We all can relate to these horrible accidents. I've been to a funeral last year for a co-worker killed in a motorbike accident.
Where are on earth are you getting this "5000 baht" figure from?
Cars made in Thailand have a 60% tax. Cars imported in to Thailand has a tax of 328%.
For example, a little Toyota Camry cost almost 2million baht ($58,000USD). In the US & Canada, that same car only cost 800,000 baht ($27,000USD).
The tax is the reason why so many people ride motorbikes instead. They are dangerous.

I blame the car tax.

That said, no new laws!

Ulic get's it!

Well said!

There are all sorts of sad stories. I myself spend two weeks in the hospital with broken ribs from a motorcycle accident. We all can relate to these horrible accidents. I've been to a funeral last year for a co-worker killed in a motorbike accident.

Where are on earth are you getting this "5000 baht" figure from?

Cars made in Thailand have a 60% tax. Cars imported in to Thailand has a tax of 328%.

For example, a little Toyota Camry cost almost 2million baht ($58,000USD). In the US & Canada, that same car only cost 800,000 baht ($27,000USD).

The tax is the reason why so many people ride motorbikes instead. They are dangerous.

Maybe he thought the tax remark is the annual tax, about 5000bht in most cases.

Yes purchase tax is too much here but even a modest Vios would still be maybe 350k bht still out of reach for poorer Thais who can only just scrap together 500bht a month for a payment on a Honda Wave.

I know some Thais in the village who are spreading payments over 5 or 6 years for their scooter so there is no way on earth they could ever make the payments on a car.

Maybe he thought the tax remark is the annual tax, about 5000bht in most cases.

Yes purchase tax is too much here but even a modest Vios would still be maybe 350k bht still out of reach for poorer Thais who can only just scrap together 500bht a month for a payment on a Honda Wave.

I know some Thais in the village who are spreading payments over 5 or 6 years for their scooter so there is no way on earth they could ever make the payments on a car.

True but the cost of used cars would fall as well and those they would be able to afford. In a free market economy, second hand/used cars are very cheap. If there was no insane car tax, their would be a lot of beat up but still running 15-20 year old Toyota Corrollas, Honda Citys for less than 20,000 baht.

That they could afford.

Instead, those kind of cars are going for 200,000 baht because the seller wants to get back some of that tax money he/she lost when they made the purchase.

Here in Chiang Rai, northernmost Thailand, in 16 yrs of being on the roads every day, I've never seen a police stop for dangerous driving. I did an informal guesstimate of how many drivers go thru red lights each minute...approx. 1,000! not rare to see cars and trucks speeding thru - several seconds after the light goes red. Even more dangerous, is cutting corners on blind turns. I've become a honkie since moving here. It may not do any good, but I always honk when taking a left curve on a Thai road. I don't know if they're more ignorant than rude, but it takes both to be a Thai driver.

I,ve been driving around the country for the last 5 weeks and its madness out there, someone just causally pulls out in front ,which causes the person behind to move over , more than likely coming up behind, are fast moving cars, which dont break as its probably too late anyway and with cars tailgating at high speed, with buses,bikes swerving i just try and putt along about 80 but as i,m looking out only came close twice to rear ending said swervers, the c@#ts. yesterday on a short drive of 57 k,s there and back I saw three rear enders, and one car in a ditch. Best to stick to driving slowly.

Are you sure you were driving in Thailand and not having a funny dream.

Driving standards are not particularly good however having driven thousands of miles over 4 years I have yet to come across your

experience. Thai drivers don't drive very fast on duel carriageways they tend to keep to around 100 to 110 kph. They DO keep to the

outside lane as the road is smoother there and that means they have to cross the inside lane when turning left. Of course everyone

knows that is the case and take care, most of the time.

While I would agree that the accident rate is far too high your comments make little sense to anyone with proper experience of driving

there.

Wow and I,ve been driving my own car here for 6 years and riding my own bike for at least 10 years and I thought it was for real, I think you must be dreaming when you say, Thai drivers dont drive very fast, and you have yet to see people swerve into other lanes, Man you have got to be kidding, try driving from Chiang Mai to Bangkok at night, which I have done, but now only in the daylight and watch the THAI drivers wizzing past at well over 130kph. I think you are either a Troll or greenhorn, your reply is so obviously bull shit wake up and stop dreaming.wow thousands of miles , try 50,000 for me.

1. No license necessary for anyone riding scooters. Even elementary students can ride them

2. No traffic violation enforcement. Poor police enforcement = bad driving habits.

You hit that nail on the head. Consistent enforcement would make a world of difference. Wake me up, I'm dreaming, I know.

I,ve been driving around the country for the last 5 weeks and its madness out there, someone just causally pulls out in front ,which causes the person behind to move over , more than likely coming up behind, are fast moving cars, which dont break as its probably too late anyway and with cars tailgating at high speed, with buses,bikes swerving i just try and putt along about 80 but as i,m looking out only came close twice to rear ending said swervers, the c@#ts. yesterday on a short drive of 57 k,s there and back I saw three rear enders, and one car in a ditch. Best to stick to driving slowly.

From Korat to Khon kaen there were 2 over turned trucks yesterday, that I saw. drive was about the easiest so far.

Ratchadapisek Road, today, 12:30 pm, around Esplanade/Big C.

(For those not familiar with BKK, we're talking one of the major arteries in BKK)

A middle-aged woman on a scooter rides on the sidewalk for 5 minutes, zig-zagging past pedestrians and food stalls and enters Ratchadapisek going against the traffic flow, sticking to the right, and heading south towards Pra Ram 9.

Possible reasons why:

1) she saved 100-200 meters

2) she has never seen police on Ratchada Rd.

Just an example of what we see in Thailand every day and we don't see in other countries that claim to be "amazing".

Indeed the Thai people, who pretty much expect foreigners to tell them how much you love Thailand, what do themselves say when they go to other countries? maybe "wow, look, a real country".

My first reply wasn't fair. But all the reasons for accidents that you brought up are true. And for this, is the reason that drivers need to slow down. Speed magnifies very mistake that drives make. If they slow drivers down and work on all the (death traps) U-turns along with many other reason for accidents then maybe higher speeds will be safer.

This country doesn't have and interstate system like America and many other countries so speeds need to be reduced.

I thought India would have had more road fatalities than Thailand.

Ive driven in both countries and India scares me sh_tless xshock1.gif.pagespeed.ic.Q3XOm0fuQs.png

Here you just go with the flow, I gave up on road rules years ago, no signals and a complete lack of caring for fools on scooters

No signals in Vietnam either. And no traffic lights. Yet VN has fewer deaths than LOS.

The key? They spend less time smiling & having fun in VN & more being serious sombre & sober?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iLP6iAFfc4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgK2ckymBCg

• 2 months later...

If you are skittish or squeamish at all, don’t look at this, but this is what truly happens

when one of those mini-buses doing 130KPH hits something….

this is real, ….dead bodies etc, nothing like the movies….

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=674916485884521

Look at this Mini-Bus accident on Facebook, dreadful.

You only need to look at the explosion and debris to guess
how fast it was traveling.

Mini-buses are to be used here only as a last resort, you can bet the 12 or more
occupants were mostly unhappy at the speed that it was traveling and were
sitting there saying nothing.

Travel by Mini-Bus as a last resort and SPEAK UP if he is driving like a lunatic
also sit at the back

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=674916485884521

• 1 year later...

Archived