Removing cement from the face of my stone wall

JustAnotherFarang

I have had our local contractors build a 2 metre wall with large stones but they have rather spoilt the aesthetics of it by leaving cement on the front of the stone even though I asked them not too.

I have read that I could use "muiriatic acid" to clean the stone faces (apparently it eats way the concrete and then you wash it off) but when I went to Homepro they had no idea what I was talking about. Does anyone know where I might purchase this or what it is called in Thai language.

Cheers

JAF

You need a chipping / profiling hammer or alternatively a chisel and hammer will do the job...Thai workers have also adopted a method by putting a concrete nail through a plastic short hose and using that as the chisel with hammer...don't forget the safety glasses too.

That might explain why nobody sells it, they probably think I have more than a little cement that I want to remove. But I did see this information on a gardening website in the UK and the only warning they game was that it might turn the face of the stone a little yellow. As it is, I think I will give the pressure washer idea a go first and if I don't have any luck I will have to think of something else.

Cheers

JAF

Muriatic acid = hydrochloric acid. Be very careful if you use this: gloves, eye protection, skin protection. It can be deadly or give serious injury.

You should have supervised it..I know, easy to say.

But we had a feature rock wall built some time ago...I had to show them how to do it properly...and then I made them wash it all off as they built it continually and the end job was completely cement free.

In hindsight you are right, close supervision and a lot of hand holding would have helped alleviate the problem especially when the walls are over 100 metres long. But with foresight I decided that it was better that I go to work and keep my job to ensure that I could pay the bills ;-) It only means I have made more work for myself but at least I will have the funds to buy a pressure washer.

JAF

But we had a feature rock wall built some time ago...I had to show them how to do it properly...and then I made them wash it all off as they built it continually and the end job was completely cement free.

In hindsight you are right, close supervision and a lot of hand holding would have helped alleviate the problem especially when the walls are over 100 metres long. But with foresight I decided that it was better that I go to work and keep my job to ensure that I could pay the bills ;-) It only means I have made more work for myself but at least I will have the funds to buy a pressure washer.

JAF

I gave my guys a toothbrush to clean it all off with....they did not blink

• Like 2