Is High season a thing of the past?

ryro88

I'm in Pattaya at the moment and for this time of the year it is very very quiet. I was here in May and November and there doesn't seen to be an increase at all. Is The novelty of Pattaya being a busy party town starting to wear off with the tourists?

• Like 2

Economy blows in Europe and US now, that could be the main reason.

Large news orgs covering events in bkk dont help, thats for sure.

But I doubt 2 week package tourist knows about the tension in bkk. Its prolly the economy.

It is very quiet in Pattaya right now, and its mid Dec. Should be packed.

I doubt average tourist who usually come here this time of year know anything about Pattayas street crime increase.

Edited by valgehiir
  • Like 1

I live here and while I was out this afternoon trying to walk on Soi Bhuakow I had just the opposite impression as the OP. The foot & vehicular traffic was considerably greater than just a week ago.

High season seems to be getting shorter and shorter each year IMO, but all this doom and gloom about crime is not apparent to me (no need to be posting multiple news articles please; I read the local and national news). The tourists will be here as usual, but the bad political press will likely scare off a considerable number of East Asian tourists who seem sensitive to news of unrest in the nation. That has been the case based on arrivals at Swampy in the recent past (2008, 2010 come to mind).

• Like 1

I remember visiting start of December 2011 and people where talking then about the numbers dropping considerably for high season. And when I compare it now to just back to 2011 there is a big big difference in the volume of people IMO.

It's true that the old high season/low season pattern has evened out a bit. There are less winter tourists coming from Europe and more North Asian tourists in the summer. The building carries on, so the money is still coming in. Crime isn't an issue. The number of tourists affected is tiny compared to the number flowing through each year.

Nothing to do with Pattaya, everything to do with the protests.

Phuket may well be busier, because people can fly directly there. where is Pattaya has to go through Suva.

It may get busier next month, but this year high season has definately been killed

Depends where you are looking ??? Theres a lot more tourists out on buses doing the package and side trips ... Maybe not so many hanging around the Beer Bars ??? Different strokes these dayz ...

The past week traffic has been excellent, ie no traffic at all, so the theory of buses is out i am afraid

I think its the same as it is every year, and we are in the Pre-Festive Season lull this week.

Wait until after this weekend, and the hordes arrive, you will think different.

Not really.

The week of christmas, and the week right after Jan 1st are the absolute peak, sure. It will be packed, Im sure. But that is just 2 weeks. Not much of a hi season, just 2 weeks out of the year.

We are on Dec 13 today, and Pattaya is dead right now.

Nothing to do with Pattaya, everything to do with the protests.

Phuket may well be busier, because people can fly directly there. where is Pattaya has to go through Suva.

It may get busier next month, but this year high season has definately been killed

Is that a promise...I sure hope so.

Phuket is packed, maybe they've all gone there. Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

A friend of mine in Patong said its dead, worst year since the tsunami.....suppose it goes to show that everyones perspective is different and its probably the same as last year and the year befor

Our first inevitable DOOM prediction of the current high season.

Not really a doom. Not the end of the world. Nibiru is probably not crashing into Earth, and throwing our planet off axis, killing all life.

Pattaya streets are quieter than usual for middle of December, thats all.

A refreshing look are the Russians in Pattaya. none of them tattooed unshaved sexpats wearing wife-beaters

So true!

It is quite amusing to observe Russian couples in Pattaya.

Often the guys walk around town in swimming trunks, or what look like boxer shorts underwear.

Often they dont wear a shirt, and many guy have trained bodys, whats not to like!

a refreshing look are the Russians in Pattaya. none of them tattooed unshaved sexpats wearing wife-beaters and drinking their fifth Chang at 10.30 in the morning.

No the Russians just walk around with no shirt on drinking large bottles of chang in the street.

• Like 1

a refreshing look are the Russians in Pattaya. none of them tattooed unshaved sexpats wearing wife-beaters and drinking their fifth Chang at 10.30 in the morning.

No the Russians just walk around with no shirt on drinking large bottles of chang in the street.

perhaps a negligible number of bachelors. whenever i see Russians they are either with their matkas and child(ren), good looking girlfriends and more and more ladies without male companions.

Just from my observations from my favorite eateries around town, it does seem awfully quiet for the week before the Christmas and New Year holidays.

Maybe the maniac Suthep and his yellow-shirted enablers have managed to give us residents a relaxed high season.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

The perpetual 'where is high-season' thread.

The last weekend before Christmas is 21st/22nd December. The place will fill up rapidly that weekend and empty out again starting the weekend 4th/5th January.

PS. It will be hot in April so get ready for those posts next. Oh yes, and "what date Songkhran this year?"

• Like 1