Booking Flights By Internet 101

bina

booking flights by internet 101

ok, i need some info:

1. if i go to thailand for 30 days i get an entry permit (israel no problem), dont need visa; but can i get a one way ticket and then buy a ticket back again while in thailand (probably too complicated as not computer access or big town access, but just checking out possibilities)? or do i need RT or continuing ticket?

2. how do i buy an on line ticket? (not in uk, america, etc etc) and obviously cannot fly arab companies (flying w/israeli passport since thats my originating flight country but also have us passport) except for air jordan\ the only flights i find are el al, air thai and the russian one forgot its name: going price: 900+$$ roundtrip any season (over 31 yrs of age) under 31 get discount... surely there are other possibilites?

i know the straw is still in my hair.... thats why im asking....

it may become neccessary that i go back more than once in a year and saving money will be definately a very big issue since i pay in shekels that get turned into dollars (for those of u that are following my boyfriend/visa story, "commuting" to thailand is plan d if nothing else works out)

Edited by bina

There are other threads on flying on a one way ticket. I believe basically you need to already have some kind of visa (you won't obviously have the 30 day until you get there) in order for the airline to let you on the plane with a one-way ticket. Otherwise you need a return or onward ticket. Immigration may also ask for proof as well. Although based on experience, it's the airlines that are strict on this. I and most other people haven't been asked for proof of the return ticket by immigration.

There's nothing preventing you from buying a fully refundable ticket and then calling for a refund as soon as you get to Thailand. Although that can take a while to refund. You could buy a ticket from Bangkok to some nearby country like Singapore, Hong Kong, etc. so it'll cost less up front and then refund that ticket.

Some other people have planned on leaving the country by train or bus so perhaps you can try to make some kind of arrangement like that and then show that to the airline.

As for buying tickets, there are lots of travel agencies in Thailand so you won't be restricted to online purchases. But, one way tickets are generally more expensive than buying a round trip ticket and changing the return flight, so unless you are going to be there for a long time, it might be worth it to just buy a changeable round trip ticket and then avoid the whole hassle.

Did you check with a travelagent already? There are lots of Israeli (tourists) coming to LOS.

They might be even flying via Cyprus, if that's necessary at all.

LaoPo

Is there some reason not to use a travel agent? Most places they will be able to provide you a better price than trying to do it direct and can work out alternative routing (making the cost less). It should cost nothing to ask. They might also have access to charter flights at even lower costs. But with todays cost of oil I would not expect too much. But I have never heard of two one way tickets costing less than a discounted round trip so would not plan to buy return in Thailand. The only time people seem to do this with any success is for business class travel from what I have read.

You require onward ticketed travel within 30 days for the 30 day entry without visa. Airlines may check that and prevent boarding. Immigration in Thailand is not likely to check.

hi lao pao

yes, there are but most are doing packaged hotel/travel things OR are younger then 31 yrs. of age backpacker types that get cheaper tickets (dont know if this is done in other countries but here it is for the after army set that do the round the world to india etc for a year, they are all between 22 yrs and 30--)

i just thought that internet agents were supposed to be cheaper... there are other options like air ethiopia (would u trust them if u have kids back home?)...

thanx for some clarification... i dont know anybody that flies that often , most are the last minute offer types for a few days phuket vacation which isnt an option for me in my line of work and others i know are the backpacker types that will fly 5000 miles out of their way to save a dollar

what i mean is, i do read all the posts but im not a sophisticated flyer and i dont deal with peopel that are international travellers... i deal with goats, so anyway: lopburi et al... thanx for some straightforward answers...

the next question: can someone in thailand buy me a round trip ticket from there, and pay in cash (he doesnt have a credit card obviously)?? and if u buy a ticket in cash, can it be refunded???

Edited by bina

hi lao pao

yes, there are but most are doing packaged hotel/travel things OR are younger then 31 yrs. of age backpacker types that get cheaper tickets (dont know if this is done in other countries but here it is for the after army set that do the round the world to india etc for a year, they are all between 22 yrs and 30--)

Bina, consider ALL options including 'flight+hotel packages', over the years I have found many such packages much cheaper than flight only, and you do not have to stay in any hotel, so a Bankok flight/hotel trip could well suit.

thanx kl,

never really thought about this; i thought it was like, u HAD to be at the hotel etc or u get fined or something (i told you all i have straw in my hair)...

interesting idea so that would mean that i could go back and forth more often for less time each time (fits better with running a small zoo as far as work is concerned) thru some of thsoe stupid package deals of the last minute that seem to rip poeple off (bad food, hotels not what they expected etc)... and not use up all my funds at once...

lao pao, this is all plan d... for when all else fails but at least everything is in perspective again...

will wlecome any other creative ideas....

Bina, consider ALL options including 'flight+hotel packages', over the years I have found many such packages much cheaper than flight only, and you do not have to stay in any hotel, so a Bankok flight/hotel trip could well suit.

Correct, but most tourperators who offer such trips, also offer just the seats. So Bina should ask around.

LaoPo