Alternative to PayPal for receiving website payments

BuffaloRescue

Our 2 companies have been using PayPal for several years. But since last week both of them have a Permanent Account Limitation. This means that we can not use our accounts. Also our customers can not transfer using PayPal.

We now have to wait 180 days to get our money, 172,000 THB and 499,600 THB on our 2 accounts. We contacted PayPal, we never had a dispute or whatsoever. They don't want to have businesses in Thailand using PayPal for doing business. There have been too many scams from Thailand. We contacted several lawyers, to solve this case. None of them is willing to take this case. There have been many cases here in Thailand. It is impossible to press charges against PayPal in any country.

A quote of an email send by PayPal:

"Any balance in your PayPal account will be held for up to 180 days (or longer as required and permitted by law). This balance will be used to offset any obligations that you have to PayPal or your buyers and to cover future refunds for claims or chargebacks that buyers may file against you.

After the 180 days hold period (or longer as required and permitted by law) has expired, if there is any balance remaining, we’ll send you an email letting you know when and how you can withdraw the money from your account."
End of quote.
We are currently searching for another reliable payment possibilty.
If any one has suggestions...

My friend, let me tell you some useful information.

There is no law allowing paypal to hold your money.

They can not legally do so, without a court order or police order.

They are a financial institution and do have to obey laws of that country.

Unfortunately, i can not tell you steps to take in Thailand but can tell you about my experience with them in Oz.

They did exact same thing with me.

I called them and ask to speak with a manager.

Manager stated all of the above (as per your email) Which i was happy to listen

I then requested to be told under which section of the law they had the right to hold the money.

Manager could not answer that, but stated it was in their terms and conditions.

To which i insisted what section of the law allowed them to do that, as terms and conditions if illegal are void.

Manager insisted they could, because products sold MAY BE stolen or obtained illegally.

To which, i demanded to see police report and court order.

Manager was speechless. I gave them 48 hours to release all the money or legal action would be taken, i also advised them Ombudsman would be contacted as well as Asics.

My account was open in less than 20 hours.

You do not need a lawyer to pursue it. In Thailand, they are registered as a financial company and as such fall under Thai financial laws.

Thai banks can not seize any money without court order.

Contact Consumer Protection Board and ask if they can handle the case or what Board deals with financial breaches, do make sure to make it clear there is no police order, or report or court order to withhold the money nor is there any report lodged with police in regards to your operations.

This is consumer protection website http://www.ocpb.go.th/main.php?filename=index

You can also file police report and send it to Paypal advising them you will be filing criminal and civil charges

You may find your money will be released immediately, however accounts will be closed within about 7 days, with some silly excuse such as its been identified your account is associated with some banned person.

Edited by lemoncake

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why wouldnt they like paypal. It cost the customer nothing and offers them good protection. Of course the vendor does have to pay.

What is the problem with PayPal?

I used PayPal a decade or so ago. When I wanted to purchase something on eBay several years later, PayPal would not accept my Master Card; yes, I updated my card's information on their site. Why not? Their policy is that you have to provide a new card # when the old one has expired. USAA, the issuer of my card, does not automatically change the # unless you request them to; only the expiration date & security code changes.

I escalated the issue all the way up PayPal's supervising chain; it didn't matter. They "understood" my concerns but insisted I provide them with a new credit card #. I only use one CC for online transactions; a personal choice. So I closed & deleted my PayPal account.

Seemed to me at the time that either the owner or CEO or someone wanted to maintain a massive database of credit card numbers, regardless of whether or not the cards have expired. My guess is that, assuming that many banks leave the numbers intact just as USAA does, that it would be easy for someone to, for example, take an expired CC & simply change the year of expiration by adding a 2 or a 3, & end up with an active card. So what were/are PayPal's intentions?

Edited by SeabagsFull

Why wouldnt they like paypal. It cost the customer nothing and offers them good protection. Of course the vendor does have to pay.

I used PayPal a decade or so ago. When I wanted to purchase something on eBay several years later, PayPal would not accept my Master Card; yes, I updated my card's information on their site. Why not? Their policy is that you have to provide a new card # when the old one has expired. USAA, the issuer of my card, does not automatically change the # unless you request them to; only the expiration date & security code changes.

I escalated the issue all the way up PayPal's supervising chain; it didn't matter. They "understood" my concerns but insisted I provide them with a new credit card #. I only use one CC for online transactions; a personal choice. So I closed & deleted my PayPal account.

Seemed to me at the time that either the owner or CEO or someone wanted to maintain a massive database of credit card numbers, regardless of whether or not the cards have expired. My guess is that, assuming that many banks leave the numbers intact just as USAA does, that it would be easy for someone to, for example, take an expired CC & simply change the year of expiration by adding a 2 or a 3, & end up with an active card. So what were/are PayPal's intentions?

If you check online, your paypal account is never deleted, they keep it

on a related note:

US judge approves swipe fee settlement

December 14, 2013 12:37PM

Story by AAP

A US federal judge has approved a $US7.25 billion ($A8.16 billion) settlement between merchants and Visa Inc and MasterCard Inc over credit card transaction fees.

A group of merchants and trade groups sued the two companies in 2005, alleging they conspired to fix fees charged to stores for handling credit card payments.

A settlement was reached last year but some retailers rejected it - objecting to a provision that barred future lawsuits.

The $US7.25 billion settlement figure does not reflect the companies that opted out.

The settlement also allows merchants to tack on surcharges for credit card transactions to help offset these fees.

Judge John Gleeson said the agreement has the "potential to unleash a new competitive force on interchange fees."

MasterCard of Purchase, New York, says the final approval marks an important milestone in putting the litigation behind it.

San Francisco-based Visa says the settlement is fair for all parties involved.

Not all retailers are pleased with the final approval though.

A number of the country's largest retailers, including Target Corp and Macy's Inc, were among those that rejected the settlement last year.

And the National Retail Federation, the world's largest retail trade association, said on Friday that the settlement is "deeply flawed".

The group said it will do nothing to reduce swipe fees or keep them from rising of the future.

"A decision to approve it violates established law and common sense," NRF's general counsel Mallory Duncan said in a statement.

"We are reviewing the ruling and will take whatever steps are necessary to protect the rights of merchants and safeguard the pocketbooks of their customers."

Our 2 companies have been using PayPal for several years. But since last week both of them have a Permanent Account Limitation. This means that we can not use our accounts. Also our customers can not transfer using PayPal.

We now have to wait 180 days to get our money, 172,000 THB and 499,600 THB on our 2 accounts. We contacted PayPal, we never had a dispute or whatsoever. They don't want to have businesses in Thailand using PayPal for doing business. There have been too many scams from Thailand. We contacted several lawyers, to solve this case. None of them is willing to take this case. There have been many cases here in Thailand. It is impossible to press charges against PayPal in any country.

"Any balance in your PayPal account will be held for up to 180 days (or longer as required and permitted by law). This balance will be used to offset any obligations that you have to PayPal or your buyers and to cover future refunds for claims or chargebacks that buyers may file against you.

After the 180 days hold period (or longer as required and permitted by law) has expired, if there is any balance remaining, well send you an email letting you know when and how you can withdraw the money from your account."

End of quote.

I dont think you have a valid point. Sounds like paypal wants collateral on your account and these are their terms. Take it or leave it.

After the 180 days hold period (or longer as required and permitted by law) has expired, if there is any balance remaining, we’ll send you an email letting you know when and how you can withdraw the money from your account."
End of quote.

had this theft of cash in transit done by moneybookers now called skrill. my own money, transferring between my own accounts across international.

last i contacted them they say they have released the funds for transfer but they held them for 4-5 years without/refusing to paying interest. was denominated in a higher interest paying currency. principle would be about 50,000 baht. so you guessed right if you assumed i havent used any of these online payments systems at all in the interim not even visa debit card.

have considered the one where you pay directly into the receivers account at an atm or over the counter at the bank by havent actually gone through with it. all my transactions are cash in hand in person except for in person thai 7-11 cash card, and in person singapore cash card..

Edited by Chippen Dong

My guess since the majority of people get new cards/numbers when they expire their computer system is set up that way. If these are their rules why not follow them and ask your bank for a new card/numbers.

Really you think changing the expiry date is going to activate a card. Not even one from nigeria

Edited by yankee99

End of quote.

Unfortunately, i can not tell you steps to take in Thailand but can tell you about my experience with them in Oz.

I then requested to be told under which section of the law they had the right to hold the money.

To which i insisted what section of the law allowed them to do that, as terms and conditions if illegal are void.

Manager insisted they could, because products sold MAY BE stolen or obtained illegally.

Manager was speechless. I gave them 48 hours to release all the money or legal action would be taken, i also advised them Ombudsman would be contacted as well as Asics.

You do not need a lawyer to pursue it. In Thailand, they are registered as a financial company and as such fall under Thai financial laws.

Contact Consumer Protection Board and ask if they can handle the case or what Board deals with financial breaches, do make sure to make it clear there is no police order, or report or court order to withhold the money nor is there any report lodged with police in regards to your operations.

This is consumer protection website http://www.ocpb.go.th/main.php?filename=index

You can also file police report and send it to Paypal advising them you will be filing criminal and civil charges

You may find your money will be released immediately, however accounts will be closed within about 7 days, with some silly excuse such as its been identified your account is associated with some banned person.

Well, we tried to call them last week. The number 1800-441-6458 is a number in the USA and can not be reached from Thailand.

Opening hours:

7:00 ICT to 21:00 ICT from Monday to Friday

8:00 ICT to 17:00 ICT from Saturday to Sunday

They do have local number, you just need to find it

End of quote.

Well, we tried to call them last week. The number 1800-441-6458 is a number in the USA and can not be reached from Thailand.

Opening hours:

7:00 ICT to 21:00 ICT from Monday to Friday

8:00 ICT to 17:00 ICT from Saturday to Sunday

They do have local number, you just need to find it

Youll find if you have a Thai PP account, its run out of Singapore. The people you call are in Singapore

Youll find if you have a Thai PP account, its run out of Singapore. The people you call are in Singapore

They still have a local number. They accept documents in Thai, which means they have someone here in Thailand.

They have website in Thai, which also means Thai staff.

There is another thread on TV, where poster said they had a dedicated person from Paypal who he was dealing with.

Try to log into your account and then go to contact us. There will be a number to call and some token number.

Do note, if you are not logged in, they giving you general numbers, but different numbers for when logged in

Edited by lemoncake

They still have a local number. They accept documents in Thai, which means they have someone here in Thailand.

There is another thread on TV, where poster said they had a dedicated person from Paypal who he was dealing with.

Try to log into your account and then go to contact us. There will be a number to call and some token number.

Do note, if you are not logged in, they giving you general numbers, but different numbers for when logged in

Yes, maybe their staff have a physical presence in Thailand. Contractors possibly. They are not incorporated in Thailand. There is no "Thai PayPal".

Yes, maybe their staff have a physical presence in Thailand. Contractors possibly. They are not incorporated in Thailand. There is no "Thai PayPal".

They have to be, how else would they have "contracts" with local banks

They have to be, how else would they have "contracts" with local banks

They dont. They just wire money to from their bank account to accounts in thailand. Contact u make is with singapore paypal account for wiring money.

They deleted my account upon my request.

My guess since the majority of people get new cards/numbers when they expire their computer system is set up that way. If these are their rules why not follow them and ask your bank for a new card/numbers.

Really you think changing the expiry date is going to activate a card. Not even one from nigeria

So how much does PayPal pay you? Seriously, I suppose if you have a compelling reason to want to hang onto your PayPal account, then by all means do what you have to. Me? I would never jump through such hoops in order to do business with a merchant or company, not as a customer. Paypal is just not that user-friendly. I've been using CCs on the I-Net ever since it was possible to do so. I've held accounts on multiple sites & never ever been restricted in my payment methods the way PayPal demands. Normally if a company wants your business, they'll be happy to accept the information you provide to them. Why on earth would PayPal not accept valid CC information simply because the number did not change? Makes no sense to me.

I don't understand your last comment. I mean, I've never had a problem using a new card with the same number (only the 3-digit security code & expiry date change) from my bank. Even with the U.S. government, my card was accepted. Sounds like you either have limited experience or have a hidden agenda. I won't judge, however, just responding to your reply.

They deleted my account upon my request.

So how much does PayPal pay you? Seriously, I suppose if you have a compelling reason to want to hang onto your PayPal account, then by all means do what you have to. Me? I would never jump through such hoops in order to do business with a merchant or company, not as a customer. Paypal is just not that user-friendly. I've been using CCs on the I-Net ever since it was possible to do so. I've held accounts on multiple sites & never ever been restricted in my payment methods the way PayPal demands. Normally if a company wants your business, they'll be happy to accept the information you provide to them. Why on earth would PayPal not accept valid CC information simply because the number did not change? Makes no sense to me.

I don't understand your last comment. I mean, I've never had a problem using a new card with the same number (only the 3-digit security code & expiry date change) from my bank. Even with the U.S. government, my card was accepted. Sounds like you either have limited experience or have a hidden agenda. I won't judge, however, just responding to your reply.

Sure I have a compelling reason their audience and security are bigger and light years ahead of those other companies mentioned in this thread. I wouldnt limit my customer base to unknown companies. Personally i havent heard of half of those companies.

Does it matter if it makes sense to you? They are a private company and can make or change the rules as they wish...

They dont. They just wire money to from their bank account to accounts in thailand. Contact u make is with singapore paypal account for wiring money.

We finally manage to get a hold of our Thai rep. person and they tell us the account is closed, because "they [Paypal reviews department in China] http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/552787-sue-paypal-in-thailand/

Never had a problem with Paypal in over 10 years. Are they perfect, no of course not, they are a huge company and the amount of "issues" in comparison to the total amount of accounts is probably actually quite small.

That doesnt make it any easier if you happen to be the one having a problem, but that problem happened for a reason, whatever it may have been, Paypal wouldnt just indiscriminately pick on an account to block it, that's just silly.

If you look at ANY of the money processing services out there you will find negative reports somewhere too, its a service industry and there will be moans etc.

If you are running a business, common sense you should tell you not to have all your eggs in one basket anyway. You should be using the right tool for the right job. Paypal is a good tool if used correctly in conjunction with other methods, as option not as a main stay and certainly not for volume sales or high amounts.

Depending on your set-up, there are many websites now that offer "all singing all dancing" solutions, they will do the hosting, the website, shopping cart gateway and processing of all major cards etc, including Paypal if you wish.

Just a case of finding what combination suits you best.

Never had a problem with Paypal in over 10 years. Are they perfect, no of course not, they are a huge company and the amount of "issues" in comparison to the total amount of accounts is probably actually quite small.

That doesnt make it any easier if you happen to be the one having a problem, but that problem happened for a reason, whatever it may have been, Paypal wouldnt just indiscriminately pick on an account to block it, that's just silly.

If you look at ANY of the money processing services out there you will find negative reports somewhere too, its a service industry and there will be moans etc.

If you are running a business, common sense you should tell you not to have all your eggs in one basket anyway. You should be using the right tool for the right job. Paypal is a good tool if used correctly in conjunction with other methods, as option not as a main stay and certainly not for volume sales or high amounts.

Depending on your set-up, there are many websites now that offer "all singing all dancing" solutions, they will do the hosting, the website, shopping cart gateway and processing of all major cards etc, including Paypal if you wish.

Just a case of finding what combination suits you best.

Care to mention some please ?

If you do a search on "shopping carts" and then research etc you can find whats best for your circumstances.

I cant state specific as I dont know your set up or needs entirely.

A broad example would be "Shopify" or "3dCart" but there are many with different attributes.

Edited by CharlieH
  • Like 1

Does it matter if it makes sense to you? They are a private company and can make or change the rules as they wish...

Maybe not; however, most sellers on EBay use PayPal exclusively which renders the former useless to me now.

It should matter to both PayPal & sellers like yourself. Having more flexible options would bring in more money for PayPal, & merchants would have access to a larger customer base (including me, e.g.). Perhaps the OP would not then be seeking an alternative to PayPal.

They do not delete accounts. Do a Google search and you will see what happens to deleted accounts.

I tried Googling as you suggest; all I can come up with is ways to do just that. The following link explains how to permanently delete several online accounts, including PayPal which they give a deletion difficulty of "1" (i.e., very easy to do):

http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2010/06/11/how-to-permanently-delete-your-account-on-popular-websites

Also, after logging into your account, you can go here to kill the account once & for all:

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_close-account

Edited by SeabagsFull

Maybe not; however, most sellers on EBay use PayPal exclusively which renders the former useless to me now.

It should matter to both PayPal & sellers like yourself. Having more flexible options would bring in more money for PayPal, & merchants would have access to a larger customer base (including me, e.g.). Perhaps the OP would not then be seeking an alternative to PayPal.

They do not delete accounts. Do a Google search and you will see what happens to deleted accounts.

I tried Googling as you suggest; all I can come up with is ways to do just that. The following link explains how to permanently delete several online accounts, including PayPal which they give a deletion difficulty of "1" (i.e., very easy to do):

http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2010/06/11/how-to-permanently-delete-your-account-on-popular-websites

Also, after logging into your account, you can go here to kill the account once & for all:

Yes...its not like TV...they do not need to keep up the numbers for false advertising to advertisers.

According to a number of reports(complains) Paypal does not delete any accounts, it also does not "disconnect" your bank account from that account.

It is deleted from your point of you, as in you can not use it or access it, however it is not deleted from their end and it is linked to your account.

Perfect example would be if you wanted to open another account and tried to use the same bank account to link it, it will tell you it is not possible because that bank account is linked to another Paypal account ie your original account was never deleted.

You are reading "how to ", try reading complaint sites., here is one of them http://www.aboutpaypal.org/ , have many many more

• Like 1

To be fair... companies like PayPal have HUGE problems with fraud. They have to be very vigilent.

Try opening up a "proper" internet merchant account youll need up to $10,000 security deposit held at all times.

And in some countries/banks you need a large security deposit for each currency you want to accept.

To be fair... companies like PayPal have HUGE problems with fraud. They have to be very vigilent.

Try opening up a "proper" internet merchant account youll need up to $10,000 security deposit held at all times.

And in some countries/banks you need a large security deposit for each currency you want to accept.

I agree with you, but it was their choice to go into this kind of business, holding someone's money for 6 months is wrong no matter what angle you look at it.

• Like 1

I can warmly recommend Paysbuy.com

Thaivisa has used them for many years without any issues. A few times we had to contact support and we found it easier to deal with them in Thai language rather than in English. Professional staff in my opinion.

Incoming funds gets deposited to company account every 2 weeks, but they can do different deals depending on your needs.

A big plus: With Paysbuy you can accept payments via 7-Eleven and Tesco-Lotus in Thailand.

• Like 1