Yingluck 'will be forced to stand down'

webfact

Yingluck 'will be forced to stand down'
The Nation

'People's power' will push premier to quit and make way for reforms: Suthep

BANGKOK: -- Suthep Thaugsuban, leader of the anti-government protest, warned yesterday that if Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra ignores the demand for her to step down, she will be forced by "people's power" to do so.

Speaking to the media at the Royal Turf Club before noon yesterday, Suthep said that with a political vacuum following her departure, a politically neutral person would be selected to become the new prime minister. And a people's council would be set up to carry out reforms, Suthep said, adding that he expected this process to take 8 to 14 months.

He told the media that after political reforms, if a party linked to former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra won power again, he would accept it. But he stressed that new rules to be written as part of the reforms must ensure future elections are free and fair - with political parties really belonging to the people, and not capitalists, as at present.

Suthep and the protesters have rallied against the so-called Thaksin regime, which they blame for prevalent corruption and alleged abuse of majority rule.

Protesters leave Nang Lerng

An anti-government rally site in Bangkok's Nang Lerng area has been closed down, with organisers moving to the previous base at Democracy Monument, reportedly because there have been fewer protesters gathering there.

The Students and People's Network for Thailand's Reform (STR) members began packing up yesterday morning at Nang Lerng. They later tied long national flag banners around the Government House fence in a symbolic gesture and padlocked all gates with STR guards at the gates after finding out fresh, new police had replaced officers long stationed there.

The government's Centre for the Administration of Peace and Order said police arrested a number of men in possession of items like weapons including home-made bombs. Police are taking action against people who throw projectiles into Government House and those who cut off electricity and tapwater.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-12-14

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"with political parties really belonging to the people."

Which people exactly?

Not only are the protestors are against the Thaksin charade, but so are many others.

Many red-shirts, many old form 'politicians', many new politicians, students, the old, many Esan also.

Yet many of those are not in alliance, and even vehemently despise each other. So which people is he talking about?

The ones he himself perceives as the people? He's become self-delusional now, or he has been all along.

He's achieved what he initially set out to do, dissolve the house. It's high-time he now arranged for some persons with solid arrangements and planning to step in and run with what the PDRC has, or the recent events will soon be a faded memory and life will be back to normal - nothing achieved.

My perception is that anybody he personally knows stepping in defeats the whole object, and even he can't see that!

-mel.

• Like 2

Imagine this clown spouting his crap in the UK or USA.

Everyone in Thailand is currently talking about reform because of this 'clown', as you call him.

And they will still be talking about it in another few years from now...

What do you think this 'clown' is actually going to achieve by persisting with his time in the spotlight ?

I was behind him 100% couple weeks ago! now his has lost me and probably 1000s of others too, not that my opinion counts for anything :)

• Like 1

Is it just coincidental or was there brilliant insight in choosing February 2nd (Groundhog day) for the Thai political party re-election vote? "In popular culture, the phrase "Groundhog Day" has come to represent going through a phenomenon over and over until one spiritually transcends it." Wikepedia. In reference to Thailand, one can't deny that this phenomenon is political selfishness along with systemic corruption and until the majority of its citizens wake up and put a resounding sop to it, they will be forced to relive this day over and over again.

• Like 2

Imagine this clown spouting his crap in the UK or USA.

Everyone in Thailand is currently talking about reform because of this 'clown', as you call him.
And they will still be talking about it in another few years from now...

What do you think this 'clown' is actually going to achieve by persisting with his time in the spotlight ?

I was behind him 100% couple weeks ago! now his has lost me and probably 1000s of others too, not that my opinion counts for anything smile.png

You seem to forget.

There is still a good chance he will achieve his goals. Look what he has done up to now. He is winning in small bites, one step at a time. He will likely get his reform, despite the fact that you seem to totally dislike the notion of reforming Thailand into something a little less corrupt.

If he gets his reforms, Thailand will change and the Dems will have a huge boost at the ballot box. Maybe not the first time round as most of the reds will be more pissed at not getting their 500 Baht for their vote, bMut another term of the Thaksin controlled PTP and that will be the end of them for good. They can't even cover this rice scheme harvest, by the time they pay up, it will be almost time for an entire harvest to be paid.... They have no chance.

I am not forgetting anything....

I also do not 'totally dislike the notion' of reform.

Read my other posts, I was behind him but he is now getting right on my tits, just as corrupt as any of the others.

Like I said, same trough just different snouts want control :)

• Like 1