Rayong Town

BKK90210

Hi folks

I'm looking for more info about the Rayong city. I havn't been there myself nor is my thai wife. She's from BKK but we decided not to live there. Right now we're in the process of moving to thailand, and still thinking on Rayong or Hua Hin. We can pick any city in thailand to live....but we think Rayong seems to be a nice city for us - on the beach with less bars scene...hence I also will be writing a few technical textbooks during our time there. But so far google came up nothing or very minimal info on the city. So far we have just one photo of the down town. Does anybody out there has some photo of Rayong or know the city quite well? We need more info about the resturants, thai night market locations and how many, and shopping especially for home improvement items. We're planing to be there for just 5 yrs then back to the US.

Thanks in advance

BKK family :o

Hi folks

I'm looking for more info about the Rayong city. I havn't been there myself nor is my thai wife. She's from BKK but we decided not to live there. Right now we're in the process of moving to thailand, and still thinking on Rayong or Hua Hin. We can pick any city in thailand to live....but we think Rayong seems to be a nice city for us - on the beach with less bars scene...hence I also will be writing a few technical textbooks during our time there. But so far google came up nothing or very minimal info on the city. So far we have just one photo of the down town. Does anybody out there has some photo of Rayong or know the city quite well? We need more info about the resturants, thai night market locations and how many, and shopping especially for home improvement items. We're planing to be there for just 5 yrs then back to the US.

Thanks in advance

Hi,

I was planning to get to Rayong Feb this year but got stuck upcountry. Probably next year. The wife has a sister there.

I had trouble finding info as well but found this www.discoverythailand.com

Not a lot there.

I think that I used Google images search and then advanced search and got quite a lot.

Will check.

All the best.

Hi folks

Thanks in advance

Just checked again.

Go to Google and hit " images " above the search box.

Then hit " advanced image search " on the right of the search box.

A lot of rubbish but a lot of pics and info.

But do you know anything else about the city?

Where is some good place or area to live. I'm thinking along or be able to walk to the beach. I'm willing to remodel existing home also if it has a good view, but we're thinking along the line of building our own. The seaview is very important to me since I will be writing the books most of the time, therefore a place that nice and quiet but easily accessible to shopping and foods center is a must. We're looking between the city center and all the way to Klang. Where are you thinking to live?....may be we can share info. Also had tried google earth....but no luck...they blocked the area image, bummer

We're in the process of selling our home here in the US and hopefully will be able to move by Sept./Oc at the latetest.

Just googled again thru advance search and so far not that bad....got a bit more info than yesterday. Tonight results sofar I found....

Lotus location map - cool!

AUA language ctr map - near the immigration office - have to learn thai quick, wife says will send me to school everyday. :o

Honda dealers location - 1 in Rayong, and 4 in Chonburi - We're going for the CR-V

Just have to keep looking for more....

Just googled again thru advance search and so far not that bad....got a bit more info than yesterday. Tonight results sofar I found....

Lotus location map - cool!

AUA language ctr map - near the immigration office - have to learn thai quick, wife says will send me to school everyday. :o

Honda dealers location - 1 in Rayong, and 4 in Chonburi - We're going for the CR-V

Just have to keep looking for more....

The Southern beach area towards Ban Phe is quite nice...don't know about property.

But really wouldn't it be wisest just to rent a place anywhere for a couple of months and get a feel for the place?

There are a lot of nice places between Rayong, Klaeng and Chantaburi, it's well known by the Thais but not so by Farrang.

Rayong resort is an up-market resort used mostly by Japanese. It's on a spectacular peninsular between Rayong beach and Ban Phe. Ban Phe is where the ferries leave for Koh Samet. there is a small nature reserve at the end of Rayong beach that has a few holiday cabins and a nice secluded beach.

Rayong is an industrial town with oil refineries and moter factories...there are some lovely Condos on the north beach - check out the Kanary condos...they have a web site. the area around is known for fruit produce.

The town is not known fore its wild nightlife but I would think has a good range of amenities.

That's much I gathered also. No wild nitelife for us for sure, we will be far too busy doing other things. I just don't know why Rayong is such a fancinating place for us, it just is....May be all those combination of greenery of the fruit orchards, sunset views, 11 islands, 9 beaches, local foods and the local thainess of the area? :o The sand split area from Kanary bay to Pak Nam Rayong looks so interesting from google earth image, this is where we want to investigate some more after we got there first. Yes I know it's best to rent first. We're already planning to rent a condo for 2 mos in Jomtien first, because it seems to be conviently accessible to both Rayong town and Chonburi town (where will be looking for our first car there). Hopefully we will find a home or some land to build in within this period, if not then we just have to find a house for a year.....Will see what happens

The sand split area from Kanary bay to Pak Nam Rayong looks so interesting from google earth image, this is where we want to investigate some more after we got there first.

In that area, the stench of drying fish on hundreds of racks prior to being turned into fish sauce is a bit over-whelming to set up a residence. There's at least a half-dozen factories there churning out the tasty, but smelly concoction.

The industrial sludge from Mapthaphut Industrial Area also tends to discourage swimming in the vicinity as it flows there from not too far away.

Better areas are available further down the coast... or inland.

Shopping galore with Lotus, Big C, and Makro.

I like Rayong and have stayed there a few times.But I would not choose to live there.Generally uninteresting beach areas and too much industry.Good for a stop over,and some great seafood places in the area,but thats it.Agree with the fish/squid drying racks....what a pong.I spent a lot of time looking for a site to build a house,and eventually chose Koh Chang.

Actually I am growing rather fond of Sattaheep ... laid back ... interesting ... feels like "real Thailand" for now ... close to the airport and close enough to Pattaya for diversity.

• 5 years later...

Actually I am growing rather fond of Sattaheep ... laid back ... interesting ... feels like "real Thailand" for now ... close to the airport and close enough to Pattaya for diversity.

agree...Sattaheep......

is the best location in Thailand....

from there to Pattaya, Only no more than 20 mins/ Driving

to Rayong / 40 mins

to Bkk / 2-3 hrs

Hi,

Rayong City has been my second home for about five years, now.

Pros:

SHOPPING

1/ Laemtong Shopping Centre - They opened a new upmarket wing last year. Combined with what was already there you have a department store, BigC, all the fast food and family restaurant franchises, Strabucks, etc plus a bowling alley and multiplex cinema - gets crowded on weekends!

2/Large Home Pro DIY store opened two years ago.

3/Star Computer Centre - currently expanding and full of small electronics shops

4/Tesco Lotus with comprehensive night market next door

TRANSPORTATION

Nakornchai Air Terminal plus two public bus terminals (No2 just opened in the East) provide easy access to BKK, Pattaya, Trat, etc

No taxis - 10b by songthau gets you around town

ENVIRONMENT

As previous posters have mentioned, nightlife and tourism are almost non-existant, which makes for a largely crime-free and quiet neighbourhood

where I am

As elsewhere along the coast cool seabreezes in the afternoon are the norm.

(personally haven't experienced any fallout from the Mapthaput Industrial Complex next door)

LEISURE

As mentioned beaches are average, best to head further along the coast for a dip

Dining especially seafood is great with some upmarket restaurants down by the river

Currently the area's buffet restaurants are having a price war. You can now enjoy all you can eat for 99b. One place was even cooking great steaks for that - went back for seconds!

Cons:

Current building boom have heralded a rise in land prices and rent

Mapthaput (see above)