Another Phuket taxi driver arrested for assaulting a tourist

webfact

Why does everyone in these articles call the tuk tuk's taxis, they are not, taxis have meters. The only metered taxis I have seen in Phuket are at the airport (I think there may be some in Phuket Town). It is the tuk tuk scum that take the parking spaces and hang out in their sala's, clog up the entrances to hotels and threaten people. Introduce a proper taxi network, allow the taxis from the airport and Phuket Town to take fares both ways so they can earn a reasonable living. The real taxi drivers are just as intimidated by these stand over mercants as anybody else, but they are on average nice people and relitively honest. They pay for their licenses and charge a relatively fair price. Why is it 800 baht from the airport to Kata and 1200 (if your silly enough) to go the same distance the other way ?????

Just get a proper taxi service then they may have to compete.

The tuktuks and taxi all are part of the same taxi cooperations. Apparently these days taxis are allowed to accept 2-way fares.

They may be allowed to legally but are to scared to do it because of the potential repercussions. In my experience it is the tuk tuks that cause the problems. There is no taxi service to speak of around Patong, Karon Kata...

If there was I think a lot of these problems would at least be mininised if not eliminated. 1000 Baht a month contribution from EVERY tuk tuk driver to the co-operative run by the mayors son buys an awful lot of "tolerance".

It is the tuk tuks that bycott the parking, charge exhoritant fares, threaten people...

I reitterate a tuk tuk is not a taxi (regardless of what co-operative they belong to).....taxis have meters, they are usually cars (not Diahatsu pick up's). If you know how I can get a taxi to the airport (licensed) PM me, I would love to pay the same fair getting there as I pay coming from the airport. Same distance both ways, a meter would fix that problem...

If you say 'no taxi is a taxi unless it has a meter', than yes, you're right. But in reality here cars with green plates that take people to their destinations against a predetermined fare are called taxi's. And as mentioned, taxi's and tuktuks opearate from the same ranks, same fares, same parking spaces.

To get a taxi to the airport, just go to any of the taxi stands. You are confusing 2 issues here, and thereby confusing the discussion.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does everyone in these articles call the tuk tuk's taxis, they are not, taxis have meters. The only metered taxis I have seen in Phuket are at the airport (I think there may be some in Phuket Town). It is the tuk tuk scum that take the parking spaces and hang out in their sala's, clog up the entrances to hotels and threaten people. Introduce a proper taxi network, allow the taxis from the airport and Phuket Town to take fares both ways so they can earn a reasonable living. The real taxi drivers are just as intimidated by these stand over mercants as anybody else, but they are on average nice people and relitively honest. They pay for their licenses and charge a relatively fair price. Why is it 800 baht from the airport to Kata and 1200 (if your silly enough) to go the same distance the other way ?????

The tuktuks and taxi all are part of the same taxi cooperations. Apparently these days taxis are allowed to accept 2-way fares.

They may be allowed to legally but are to scared to do it because of the potential repercussions. In my experience it is the tuk tuks that cause the problems. There is no taxi service to speak of around Patong, Karon Kata...

If there was I think a lot of these problems would at least be mininised if not eliminated. 1000 Baht a month contribution from EVERY tuk tuk driver to the co-operative run by the mayors son buys an awful lot of "tolerance".

It is the tuk tuks that bycott the parking, charge exhoritant fares, threaten people...

I reitterate a tuk tuk is not a taxi (regardless of what co-operative they belong to).....taxis have meters, they are usually cars (not Diahatsu pick up's). If you know how I can get a taxi to the airport (licensed) PM me, I would love to pay the same fair getting there as I pay coming from the airport. Same distance both ways, a meter would fix that problem...

If you say 'no taxi is a taxi unless it has a meter', than yes, you're right. But in reality here cars with green plates that take people to their destinations against a predetermined fare are called taxi's. And as mentioned, taxi's and tuktuks opearate from the same ranks, same fares, same parking spaces.

To get a taxi to the airport, just go to any of the taxi stands. You are confusing 2 issues here, and thereby confusing the discussion.

I don't think I am confusing anything, they may call the car with a green plate a taxi but it is not it is a hire car and is entitled to charge what it likes. Taxi's (with meters) have a pricing system fixed by the government. Metered taxis that are allowed to operate around Patong, Karon Kata etc. without fear of intimidation would go a long way to fixing the problems created by tuk tuk drivers and their cohorts.

Why can I not get a metered cab from my house to the airport and pay the same price as I pay getting a metered cab from the airport? All of the (metered) taxi drivers I have spoken too (coming back from the airport) would love to be able to take fares both ways, they would halve their fuel bill and take twice the money. Whether it is the law or intimidation from the tuk tuk co-operative (mafia) members that prevents them from doing so I don't know. But it needs to be addressed by the authorities. Of course this is not going to happen as long as the co-operative fees are going into their pockets. The DSI was supposed to address this but all they did was come down on "black" cabs, who in reality only have any customers because of the blatant over charging by the tuk tuk "mafia".

What is causing confusion is calling tuk tuks and hire cars taxis, as I said, taxis have meters and their fares are fixed, as in Bangkok. No one refers to tuk tuks in Bangkok as a taxi !!!

• Like 2

And you are saying ALL people using taxis get thumped?? Statistically??

You are not understanding the situation. It's folks trying to use their taxi of choice or even their hire car or a friend tries to pick them up - that get threatened, or at worst thumped.

Only if a passenger refuses to pay the fare demanded that gets thumped.

Yes, that is what is often claimed. What I have seen though is that friends can pickup without problems, but if the friend comes to the same hotel day after day after day to pick up different people, after some time it will start to irritate the legal taxi guys there. That is what happened at Graceland e.g., where the guy was working as an illegal taxi driver for his wife's tourbusiness.

All the problems with other taxi drivers are always with illegal drivers/cars. Like the one at Serenity, the one from Kok Chang, etc.

Yes, the territorial system is a pain, driving prices up, etc., but the ones getting problems are always working illegally.

"but the ones getting problems are always working illegally." - I don't think so. This recent case shows it's happening to people going to a hotel on one off occasions, as well as the people going to a hotel day after day, who may be working illegally.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Phuket-Honorary-Consul-reports-violent-abuse-intimidation-by-taxi-drivers-22894.html

I don't think I am confusing anything, they may call the car with a green plate a taxi but it is not it is a hire car and is entitled to charge what it likes. Taxi's (with meters) have a pricing system fixed by the government. Metered taxis that are allowed to operate around Patong, Karon Kata etc. without fear of intimidation would go a long way to fixing the problems created by tuk tuk drivers and their cohorts.

Why can I not get a metered cab from my house to the airport and pay the same price as I pay getting a metered cab from the airport? All of the (metered) taxi drivers I have spoken too (coming back from the airport) would love to be able to take fares both ways, they would halve their fuel bill and take twice the money. Whether it is the law or intimidation from the tuk tuk co-operative (mafia) members that prevents them from doing so I don't know. But it needs to be addressed by the authorities. Of course this is not going to happen as long as the co-operative fees are going into their pockets. The DSI was supposed to address this but all they did was come down on "black" cabs, who in reality only have any customers because of the blatant over charging by the tuk tuk "mafia".

What is causing confusion is calling tuk tuks and hire cars taxis, as I said, taxis have meters and their fares are fixed, as in Bangkok. No one refers to tuk tuks in Bangkok as a taxi !!!

There really is no point in any discussion since you're the only one changing the definition of a taxi.

And it has been addressed, you will see meter taxi's driving around with their green light on, looking for fares outside of the airport.

And you are saying ALL people using taxis get thumped?? Statistically??

You are not understanding the situation. It's folks trying to use their taxi of choice or even their hire car or a friend tries to pick them up - that get threatened, or at worst thumped.

Only if a passenger refuses to pay the fare demanded that gets thumped.

Yes, that is what is often claimed. What I have seen though is that friends can pickup without problems, but if the friend comes to the same hotel day after day after day to pick up different people, after some time it will start to irritate the legal taxi guys there. That is what happened at Graceland e.g., where the guy was working as an illegal taxi driver for his wife's tourbusiness.

All the problems with other taxi drivers are always with illegal drivers/cars. Like the one at Serenity, the one from Kok Chang, etc.

Yes, the territorial system is a pain, driving prices up, etc., but the ones getting problems are always working illegally.

"but the ones getting problems are always working illegally." - I don't think so. This recent case shows it's happening to people going to a hotel on one off occasions, as well as the people going to a hotel day after day, who may be working illegally.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Phuket-Honorary-Consul-reports-violent-abuse-intimidation-by-taxi-drivers-22894.html

You're right, thanks, you have found the exception that confirms the rule.

A couple of years ago one day 50 bright shiny new Toyota metered taxis showed up in Chiang Rai. Before that we had only tuk tuks, songtaeows and some old style samlors none of which had meters but generally offered low fares.

The new taxis have become a big success in CR . The flag drop is 30 baht and it's 10 baht per km. The cars are neat and clean and though most drivers speak little or no English they get you where you want to go with no BS and no hassles.

I believe the fleet has now expanded to about 75 cars. In CR most of their business is from the locals and not especially falangs. I find the fares to be almost ridiculously low and probably tip more than I should as I have always been pleased with the attitude and service.

Supposedly when the meterd taxis arrived the tuk tuk guys were pissed/worried as to what would become of them...then some pointed out that when the first tuk tuks came to CR the old pedal powered samlors had the same complaints about the tuk tuks....

The good news is it appears to me that all of them are still doing ok and fortunately for CR folks we have a good variety of services available to suit most any need.

The only mafia I am aware of is the airport "limo" service has some kind of deal that forbids the metered taxis to pick up curbside at the airport...so naturally the "limo" service charges two or three times as much as a metered taxi would be....BUT....the taxis now all sit out on the road in front of the airport and more and more people are learning that by walking about five minutes they don't have to be held captive by the "limo" services.

The last time I went to Phuket the tuk tuks there wanted 200 baht to go ONE KM....here in CR for 200 baht you can ride in a new a/c taxi for about 15 km . In Bangkok 200 baht will get you a nice long ride. Pattaya has the baht buses which provide a fantastic service with a continuous loop around the main beach areas for 10 baht.

Yes the cost of living is more in Phuket than CR but is it really more than Bangkok? The tuk tuks in Phuket are also in reality a piece of crap as far as comfort and safety.

All I can say is that is one very powerful mafia there in Phuket to continue with their thug tactics, junk vehicles, and daily gouging year after year. The Phuket governor and tourism authority and police must get some very nice envelopes to allow this crap to continue year after year after year.

It is truly a shame that such a pretty island is tarnished almost daily with incident after incident followed by BS excuse after excuse as to why nothing changes.

Good post. Sums up how Planet Phuket is "managed" by Thai officials.

Phuket is ruled by the two "M's." Mafia and Monopoly. They don't want competition here - only control, and the money that flows from it.

Edited by NamKangMan

@ stevenl,

I am not changing the definition at all you are, a tuk tuk or hire car (and I think you will find that is what the green number plate represents) is not a taxi !!!

A taxi, by law, has it's METERED fare set by the authorities !!!

Why can't I get a (metered) taxi from my home to wherever I want?

If this was possible the rest of the scum would have to play ball or have no business...simple really

@ stevenl,

I am not changing the definition at all you are, a tuk tuk or hire car (and I think you will find that is what the green number plate represents) is not a taxi !!!

A taxi, by law, has it's METERED fare set by the authorities !!!

Why can't I get a (metered) taxi from my home to wherever I want?

If this was possible the rest of the scum would have to play ball or have no business...simple really

You're just like the ghost rider (same definition as in the earlier thread) who is driving along on the highway, and after a radio warning about a ghost rider on his road exclaims: what one, hundreds of ghost riders here!

And you will note the article specifically mentions tuk tuk drivers and the so called "black plate" taxi drivers.........

No mention of legitimate taxi drivers at all.............

@ stevenl

Would you like me to find other exceptions to further confirm YOUR rule. smile.png

Here's some lite reading for you in relation to tuk-tuk iand taxi incidents on Phuket.

http://phukettuktuks.com/phuket-tuk-tuk.htm

And you will note the article specifically mentions tuk tuk drivers and the so called "black plate" taxi drivers.........

@ stevenl

Would you like me to find other exceptions to further confirm YOUR rule. smile.png

Here's some lite reading for you in relation to tuk-tuk iand taxi incidents on Phuket.

Which is exactly what I am saying. The problems at the resorts are always with illegal taxi drivers doing business under the noses of the legal guys, like the Kata Thani example last week, where even the guide provided by the event company were illegal. Yes, of course they get problems with the legal guys.

Indeed I don't know of anyone that has been so much as thumped by a taxi driver. Then again I have only been here 20 years so give it time.

There was the story about an American being hacked to death by a Taxi driver using Samurai Sword. No I didn't know him either. I did see the video from CCTV so am sure it happened.

jb1

Hmmm. A real shame. Might happen to me in Phuk-et, but never in America. RIP American.

• Like 1

@ stevenl

Which is exactly what I am saying. The problems at the resorts are always with illegal taxi drivers doing business under the noses of the legal guys, like the Kata Thani example last week, where even the guide provided by the event company were illegal. Yes, of course they get problems with the legal guys.

So, now there are problems with the legal, and illegal taxis here. Glad we got that sorted. :) :)

@ stevenl

So, now there are problems with the legal, and illegal taxis here. Glad we got that sorted. smile.pngsmile.png

Good, and it only took you 6 posts or so since my post # 57.

Indeed I don't know of anyone that has been so much as thumped by a taxi driver. Then again I have only been here 20 years so give it time.

There was the story about an American being hacked to death by a Taxi driver using Samurai Sword. No I didn't know him either. I did see the video from CCTV so am sure it happened.

jb1

Yep, old news.

There you go. It seems that you do know of someone. Unless you don't believe that it actually happened!

jb1

jb1

Yep, old news.

There you go. It seems that you do know of someone. Unless you don't believe that it actually happened!

jb1

Didn't know him

jb1

Yep, old news.

jb1

Didn't know him

Kurnell seems you don't know the difference between "know" and "know of".

You stated in your post "know of" .

It's sad that nothing is ever done,a new mayor, police chief, comes in beating he's chest huffing and puffing then what?? what's this envelope for ok i'm sorry i will shut up now.

I use to love phuket,patong but i voted with my feet years ago.As i know many others have as well.For similar reasons as these tuk tuk scumbags jet skis ect it never ends.The escalating price was another reason.

It would be very interesting to see the stats on the tourists in the last 2-3 years,take out the influx of russians which i believe is the only thing keeping there tourists numbers up.

Phuket,patong rip very sad.