Another bike accident in Bangrak

Just drove through Bangrak (11pm) and there were at least 4 Ambulances a few yards from the Premier Bar. One bike smashed up in the road and I could only see one person on the ground. Obviously hope it is not too serious but did not look good on a brief drive past.

Unfortunately a daily occurrence, nothing will ever change and samui will always be probably they most dangerous place to drive ( at least samui doesn't seem to have the once a week bus crash which Phuket has )

I have lost 3 close friends to samui roads , and countless friends of friends have lost there lives

I do believe at least 98 per cent of all samui crashes are avoidable

Three days, a couple of young Thais overtook me on the downhill from Makro to Bandon.

100 meters later, frontal collision with pickup, one car, two on the bike.....

High speed(100 +), no helmets= two brains on the the tarmac. sad.png

Seen that a few times, worst is when they do it at night with no lights on !

Three days, a couple of young Thais overtook me on the downhill from Makro to Bandon.

I think you meant to say no Brain's on the tarmac.

• Like 1

No, the brains where literally out on the tarmac.

No, the brains where literally out on the tarmac.

I think he meant to say that if the guys on the bike had any brains they wouldn't have been driving like idiots in the first place.

I don't wish death upon these dangerous people on bikes, but I do wish they crash without hurting anyone else, or damaging anyone's property but their own. That they crash into something big enough to turn their bikes into scrap metal and that the drivers themselves are in a body cast for at least 6 months, after which they are healthy but with a few scars to remind them to slow down. Win-win for everybody.

As for the Bangrak crash, I asked someone at Premier and was told it was a guest from Samui Mermaid walking across the street. It is pretty dark there on the road, and I've seen bikes coming like a bat out of hell from the airport side. Maybe they need to put some concrete speed bumps along that stretch?

Good lightning would help as well along the road. There are stretches of road from Mermaid/Premier Bar towards Plai Laem that are dark for hundreds of meters. There are lights but they don't work. The lihgts between Mermaids/Premier and Tesco Express are a joke, about two bulbs work on that stretch, the rest is either broken or has vanished.

• Like 1

Unfortunately the tourist crossing the road died.

He was crossing from the mermaid towards the hyperbaric chamber, about 35 meters from Premier Bar.

His wife had already crossed ,, the bike with 2 locals wasn't travelling particularly fast but with the street lighting being so poor to non existent , neither party saw each other.

It would be interesting to find out why some person got paid fortunes to install all these fancy lamp posts that either do not work or do not get turned on.

He was crossing from the mermaid towards the hyperbaric chamber, about 35 meters from Premier Bar.

His wife had already crossed ,, the bike with 2 locals wasn't travelling particularly fast but with the street lighting being so poor to non existent , neither party saw each other.

It would be interesting to find out why some person got paid fortunes to install all these fancy lamp posts that either do not work or do not get turned on.

Sorry for another death on Samui. There is a rule look left then look right then look left again but on Samui you have to repeat that 6 time's. Especially at 11.00pm when judgement might to be found wanting.

Sadly that couple of young Thai's were 14 years old and both passed away!

The street lighting situation in Bangrak and Choeng Mon is a joke, the lights are there but not for what ever reason turned on.

So dangerous.

Sorry for another death on Samui. There is a rule look left then look right then look left again but on Samui you have to repeat that 6 time's. Especially at 11.00pm when judgement might to be found wanting.

That rule is fine for places where vehicles drive on the right. (As in the USA, Europe, China etc.)

In Thailand it is 'look right, look left and look right again'. (As in the UK, NZ and Oz.) Mind you - your advice about repeating it is well founded.

Too often I see farangs about to cross the road and they look the wrong way (as if in their own country). Same with bikes pulling out of junctions. Increasingly, I see farangs on scooters just driving on the wrong side of the road. Not 'Thai' style (close to the edge) but just driving on the right. Pratz.

• Like 2

Good lightning would help as well along the road. There are stretches of road from Mermaid/Premier Bar towards Plai Laem that are dark for hundreds of meters. There are lights but they don't work. The lihgts between Mermaids/Premier and Tesco Express are a joke, about two bulbs work on that stretch, the rest is either broken or has vanished.

Many of the car owners also have extremly dark films. Sometimes I had to drive such cars, you hardly see anything at night.

oh shit. He died. i am sorry RIP. I was there also he was breathing at the crash site but the amount of blood that came out of his head was worrying.

poor bloke

The street lighting situation in Bangrak and Choeng Mon is a joke, the lights are there but not for what ever reason turned on.

So dangerous.

Where did you get the info that the 2 Thai lads had died ? they looked quite ok although busted up a bit,,, the ambulance patched them up at the roadside and let them go on their way ?

Edited by PoorSucker
Fixed quote

So dangerous.

Where did you get the info that the 2 Thai lads had died ? they looked quite ok although busted up a bit,,, the ambulance patched them up at the roadside and let them go on their way ?

No way, when I passed them 20 seconds after the crash, the where not moving.

When I returned 10 minutes later there was only blood on the road and the motorbike was still blocking the traffic.

Police making reports and directing traffic.

So dangerous.

These crazy decoration lights caused many accidents in the past years. In fact they never worked, probably because the bulbs and wires are exposed to rain water. They should use proper LED street lights instead.