The White Plate Cafe, Chiang Mai

CMNightRider

Put it into US currency and it's about 5 dollars......burgers anywhere in the west are 10 upwards of 20 dollars.

I'm fairly sure when I was in America, McDs burgers were 99c each.

I'm not certain how you could possibly compare a White Plate Cafe hamburger to a McDonalds burger. I think it comes down to, you get what you pay for.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lunch there today for the first time.. the place was empty despite the rave reviews from posers here. The 200 grams of NZ rib eye beef, with cheddar, English bacon and fried egg was superb. The side of fries, 30 baht extra were good but very small portion. No beer sold but available at Rimping a few doors down. The burger costs 300 baht - not inexpensive but worth it if you have a craving for an amazing burger.

I would rather have 3x upsized KFC complete meals (inc jumbo fries and jumbo pepsi).

Your 300bht was just for the burger, what was the total for 1 meal inc drinks?

Burger with all the toppings: 300 baht

Home fries: 30 baht

Water: 15 baht

Tip: 100 baht (they were very nice)

Total: 445 baht

This is the most expensive burger on the menu but it is made with ground NZ rib eye... the next one down is 130 grams of Thai beef - can't remember price... and that's it for beef burgers... the others are chicken or veggie options.

Some people will moan about anything. One must compare apples with apples. Mass produced rubbish is not for this establishment. .. if you pay for a Ford Pinto dont expect a Cadillac. From what I read, these are gourmet burgers made with top ingredients. And strangely enough those ingredients do actually cost more that regurgitated cardboard (Well thats what it tastes like) found in peasant burgers. I always remember quality over price. Maybe CM needs a cheap Charlie shop just for some of these tightwads?

Sent from my GT-I8552B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Some people will moan about anything. One must compare apples with apples. Mass produced rubbish is not for this establishment. .. if you pay for a Ford Pinto dont expect a Cadillac. From what I read, these are gourmet burgers made with top ingredients. And strangely enough those ingredients do actually cost more that regurgitated cardboard (Well thats what it tastes like) found in peasant burgers. I always remember quality over price. Maybe CM needs a cheap Charlie shop just for some of these tightwads?

I was comparing it with a KFC zinger, which is made from a piece of chicken.

Not processed, not ground, but as it was cut from the bird.

Have you tried the White Plate?

If I want high end food I cook it myself, mine is always better.

My "white plate breakfast" this morning, cost 15bht, no tip.

post-176974-0-58682200-1390651115_thumb.

Edited by FiftyTwo
  • Like 1

If I want high end food I cook it myself, mine is always better.

So then your criticism (that it costs more than a KFC zinger) would apply to any restaurant that costs more than KFC?

So then your criticism (that it costs more than a KFC zinger) would apply to any restaurant that costs more than KFC?

Gekko lamb burger and fries for 105bht is pretty good, plenty of fries too.

Sausage King Hamburger meal at 99bht, also with plenty of fries.

Not sure I would enjoy "white plate" more than 4x either of my other named places.

Eating is all about enjoyment, at 4x the price, I want 4x the enjoyment.

Not sure I would enjoy "white plate" more than 4x either of my other named places.

.... me FT, do you not have a good word to say about anything ever!

• Like 1

.... me FT, do you not have a good word to say about anything ever!

I believe I just said good things about 1 multi-national, and 2 small eating places in CM.

Did you miss that part?

What is the point of posting about a restaurant that you have not tried and have no intention of trying?

Most ThaiVisa posts are from people with no experience of the subject (or even Thailand).

Why should I be the only member restricted to posting about things I know from personal experience?

At least I have driven past white plate on my way to Yok.

Edited by FiftyTwo

What is the point of posting about a restaurant that you have not tried and have no intention of trying?

Boredom, dyslexia, autism, trollism, the possibilities are endless.

A perfect example, CM insists on posting in the BHT Vs GBP threads while clearly knowing nothing about the subject.

Boredom, dyslexia, autism, trollism, the possibilities are endless.

A perfect example, CM insists on posting in the BHT Vs GBP threads while clearly knowing nothing about the subject.

It's GBP/THB, not THB/GBP. facepalm.gif

Edited by chiang mai

Wife & I finally got there a week or so ago & it was very good indeed.

We both had the mango beet burger, Not the giant one as the price was only 150 I think ?

Anyway so very filling & delicious.

I have to admit when the subject of Beet & Mango on a burger came up here I could not imagine how it would taste

But it is very good :)

We both loved it & will definitely go back next time we need a burger.

Put it into US currency and it's about 5 dollars......burgers anywhere in the west are 10 upwards of 20 dollars.

I'm fairly sure when I was in America, McDs burgers were 99c each.

The White Plate is not a fast food restaurant. It's a place that uses fresh, high quality ingredients and their cook knows how to cook.

While I find it difficult to get excited about a burger, after eating the mango burger a couple of times, I cant help wondering why my "quick 'n easy protein" source, the Burger King double quarter pounder, costs more than the White Plate mango burger. If quality and size was the criteria, it should at most cost a third in my opinion.

The Burger King burger is ok, but whenever I order it now, I am constantly left with a feeling of having vastly overpaid. This was not a feeling I had before spending 150B for a mango burger at the White Plate. Unfortunately, late at night, options are limited to the best of my knowledge, no offence to the roaming katoys intended.

Lunch there today for the first time.. the place was empty despite the rave reviews from posers here. The 200 grams of NZ rib eye beef, with cheddar, English bacon and fried egg was superb. The side of fries, 30 baht extra were good but very small portion. No beer sold but available at Rimping a few doors down. The burger costs 300 baht - not inexpensive but worth it if you have a craving for an amazing burger.

I would rather have 3x upsized KFC complete meals (inc jumbo fries and jumbo pepsi).

There is only one burger there that is 300 baht. There are 6 more that are 140-150. Compared to any decent burger in chiang mai its the cheapest one in town. It's even a comparable price to the shit burgers around town.

I live in Thailand and pay in Thai Baht..... don't see the relevance of how much something costs in $US.

Will go and check it out though!

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by kjhbigv

There is only one burger there that is 300 baht. There are 6 more that are 140-150. Compared to any decent burger in chiang mai its the cheapest one in town. It's even a comparable price to the shit burgers around town.

I live in Thailand and pay in Thai Baht..... don't see the relevance of how much something costs in $US.

Will go and check it out though!

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It's fairly simple to see the relevance. Even back home where stuff is considered expensive to the cheapskates living in Thailand. It's still cheap.

Why do people get so wound up over little things? If the price is too high for you then dont go there. Those that appreciate quality and can afford such are entitled to enjoy the same. If you want to compare things then you should compare apples with apples...so to speak. Otherwise you'll just end up going around in circles. Everyone has their own points to raise and individually neither is wrong. Agree to disagree is probably the best outcome. But hey....their burgers do taste damn good :-)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know why the place is for sale?? Just curious ... but I plan to stop by and try one of the mango burgers while it is still there.

Was there on Sat and was told that they close for 1 day on Sunday and on Monday is their usual off day........owner driving up to Bangkok for some personal matter. Business was good as usual, left only 1 Satay burger in Sat evening so just try it........and taste good too smile.png

Anyone know why the place is for sale?? Just curious ... but I plan to stop by and try one of the mango burgers while it is still there.

Hopefully, they are moving to a better location. However, them being located so inconveniently helps me stick to my vegetable heavy diet.