Nothern loop route advise

Hili

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great pics, Villagefarang.

Always the best photos and great input overall from Villagefarang.

He probably doesn't need our approval but I'd like to second yours RSD.

Reason for edit - think I broke rules by mentioning a blog

Edited by andrew55
  • Like 1

1152 is the older road and takes you past Nong Luang and Santiburi Golf Course. I use the 1173/1326 more often and it joins the 1152 at Sop Pao and then continues on to Phaya Mengrai and on to Baan Taa. Of course there is also the 1020 which goes directly to Thoeng.

From Thoeng most people will take the 1155 which is the valley road. The 1193 is the mountain road and takes you north of Phu Chi Fa to Pha Tang or south to Phu Sang Waterfall. Both are interesting but it is a long ride to do both.

To confuse you even more, my favorite is to climb over Phaya Pipak or Doi Yao as we call it locally, instead of going to Thoeng. At Baan Taa you turn left heading toward Chiang Khong to find this road. From my house the Phaya Pipak road cuts the drive to Phu Chi Fa in half, from 80 to 40 kilometers. It is very steep with very tight turns, especially going down the other side. There are a couple view points on top and a hill tribe village.

Does any of that make sense?

Edited by villagefarang
  • Like 2

Look for the road that goes over the mountain if you turn left on the 1020 at Baan Taa instead of turning right toward Thoeng. It is not a high speed road but it is dramatic.

What you have listed will work and should be a great ride. I just like the other road because I live in the area.

Edited by villagefarang

Sorry, I forgot all about that one section being under construction.

No problem, surprises and unexpected things are a part of such a ride and makes it even more exciting. Tomorrow going to Chiang Khong – Chiang Sean.

Today i can touch the sky already ;)

ImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1388225165.831323.jpg

Hahass. Perfect!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

After visiting phu chi fa (which wasn't that impressive as thought) went to chiang sean. The 1093 and 1155 is in good condition and quite enjoyable, 1020 up to chiang khong is also good but once getting on the 1129 to chiang sean it mostly bumpy roads and under construction. Still passable but takes some time....

Tomorrow heading back to chiang rai

post-77479-13883247904089_thumb.jpg

post-77479-13883248120161_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hili
  • Like 2

The new year traffic is the same as always and that is absolutely manic! Now and Songkran are horrible times to be driving (or even worse, riding) up here with loads of traffic from elsewhere, and especially BKK, driving like idiots.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

When I say manic I just mean much worse than normal, normal is empty mountain roads which are some of the best in the world for riding bikes so I guess we shouldn't really complain when the circus comes to town for a couple of weeks a year :-)

• Like 1

It was ok today when i was going from chiang rai to chiang mai. But yes many idiots on the road. Is it just me or do they drive more worth in the north than in bkk? Specially chiang rai is horrible.

Edited by Hili

Those of us who live up here tend to observe that things get much worse when all the Bangkok people come to visit. They don’t know there way around and have become desensitized to speed by the long drive north. They seem to be in a big hurry and use the aggressive driving habits they have developed for navigating the traffic jams of Bangkok. It doesn’t help that many people are drunk as well.

• Like 1

Sure Chiang Rai has its fair share of idiotic drivers Hili but if you visit during any of the big holidays, especially now and Songkran, the worst dangerous/speeding drivers are on BKK plates.

I guessed something like that, however I was also a little confused in Chiang rai city with al its intersections. But making sense

Sure Chiang Rai has its fair share of idiotic drivers Hili but if you visit during any of the big holidays, especially now and Songkran, the worst dangerous/speeding drivers are on BKK plates.

I guessed something like that, however I was also a little confused in Chiang rai city with al its intersections. But making sense

And use the 4 second rule at red lights in Chiang Rai. That's about on the average how long (cough) it takes drivers to realize that the light is not green anymore ;)

• Like 2