Karon Beach named deadliest Phuket beach

webfact

Karon Beach named deadliest Phuket beach
Phuket Gazette

phuketnews_2013121612446949_ogiYujtbfvFL
Kata-Karon chief lifeguard Uten Singsom says hundreds were saved on Phuket's deadliest beach over the last fiscal year. Photo: Chutharat Plerin

PHUKET: -- Karon Beach was marked as the deadliest beach in Phuket after eight people drowned between October 2012 and September 2013, said Karon Police Superintendent Weerawat Jantarawichit on Friday.

“We have put up signs in many languages warning people about the dangers, but they have not been successful – this is very concerning,” Phuket Governor Maitri Inthusut said in a meeting with Col Weerawat.

Though eight of the 33 people who drowned in Phuket during the one-year period died on Karon Beach, hundreds were safely pulled from the waves, explained Kata-Karon chief lifeguard Uten Singsom.

“Lifeguards saved over a thousand people in the province during that time period,” Mr Uten said.

“In some cases we helped send the victim to the hospital, but, you know, there are a lot of them that were safe and able to go straight back to their hotel,” he said.

The Kata-Karon lifeguard team is responsible for about four kilometers of beach front that comprises Kata Beach and Karon Beach.

“We have six stations, each manned by three lifeguards,” Mr Uten said.

In hope of decreasing the number of drownings this year, Mr Uten explained that lifeguards would be taking special notice of beachgoers who appeared to be over 55 years old.

“At this age, they might be more likely to have health issues that could lead to a drowning or near-drowning situation,” Mr Uten said.

The top lifeguard on Phuket’s deadliest beach urged people to follow three guidelines when enjoying their time in the ocean: don’t drink too much alcohol before swimming; wait about 30 minutes after a meal to get into the water; and pay attention to lifeguards’ warnings.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Karon-Beach-named-deadliest-Phuket-beach-23035.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-12-16

We have put up signs in many languages warning people about the dangers, but they have not been successful this is very concerning, Phuket Governor Maitri Inthusut said in a meeting with Col Weerawat.

Yeah, me too. I just can't think what could possibly be done to stop these people.

It is all very disconcerting.

OK, next problem please.

We have put up signs in many languages warning people about the dangers, but they have not been successful this is very concerning, Phuket Governor Maitri Inthusut said in a meeting with Col Weerawat.

Yeah, me too. I just can't think what could possibly be done to stop these people.

OK, next problem please.

What other options are there? I mean, the Lifeguards could approach people and tell them not to swim. How well would that go down? One of the things many of us enjoy over here is the freedom to do what we choose. Besides, in most western countries signs + lifeguards are all that are needed as well.

There are always going to be tourists who come over here and do silly things, and then suffer the consequences.

• Like 2

In all fairness I've watched the lifeguards in action; that is even asking people not to go swimming and they are often ignored. There is only one solution and that is for the authorities to close the beach during the seasons where rip tides are most prevalent.

Yes, money rules and so that's unlikely to happen.

• Like 1

We visited Karon for a week at the end of February 2012,

Our party (4) walked along the beach and it looked so wonderful.

Two of us decided to go into the water, again wonderful.

However, without warning a big wave came in, knocking us both over.

I skinned my knee but managed to get upright again and quickly got out of the water.

I was lucky!

I can see how easy it would have been to drown there.

There were no warnings in our hotel.

I didn´t see any notices on or near the beach, but then, I was wearing my holiday head.

They could close the beach and make it law not to swim there. Doubt it happen$$$$$$$$.

I wonder what is the typical average annual rate of drownings in other beaches in Thailand and surrounding countries. I remember when I was there 2008-2010 that a lot of people were drowning. Eight people seems lower than it was before. I don't recall the actual numbers.

Edited by jackinbkk

Only 8 drowning's supposedly in one year?I would dispute that statistic based on the four drownings I happened to read about in less than two weeks on farang exits site..Has anyone actually been there during the low season in July?Three people drowned in one week between there and Kata when I was there a couple of years back..the place is a silent deadly killer stretch of coast with a killer rip!

Only 8 drowning's supposedly in one year?I would dispute that statistic based on the four drownings I happened to read about in less than two weeks on farang exits site..Has anyone actually been there during the low season in July?Three people drowned in one week between there and Kata when I was there a couple of years back..the place is a silent deadly killer stretch of coast with a killer rip!

I agree, very difficult to believe only 8 drownings off this beach. Several years ago I was in the water, not even swimming, right in front of the roundabout, when suddenly I could not feel the sand under my feet. Before I knew it I was well over a mile out, the island only barely visible as a faint line, and I thought that was it. Somehow managed to get back, to be told by a local that sometimes 2 - 3 people get drowned in a day at that beach ! A couple of months ago I met an old acquaintance in Pattaya who told me that his wife had disappeared, body never found. I said "Karon"? He said "Yes". This beach is a killer for sure, and as long as people take no notice of warnings it will continue to be so. Every time someone tells me they are going to Phuket I warn them in no uncertain terms.

We visited Karon for a week at the end of February 2012,

Our party (4) walked along the beach and it looked so wonderful.

Two of us decided to go into the water, again wonderful.

However, without warning a big wave came in, knocking us both over.

I skinned my knee but managed to get upright again and quickly got out of the water.

I was lucky!

I can see how easy it would have been to drown there.

There were no warnings in our hotel.

I didn´t see any notices on or near the beach, but then, I was wearing my holiday head.

THIS BEACH NEED BIG POSTER WHEN COME TO KARON, AND ALSO in the hotels, but i am shure it is no warnings anywhere , ONE reason for this,, some 10 people dead every year does not concern the hotel owners, they do not want anything disturb their buisness and keep their guests safe . NEED BE WARNING IN EVERY HOTEL IN ENGLISH FRENCH AND RUSSIAN

I agree, very difficult to believe only 8 drownings off this beach. Several years ago I was in the water, not even swimming, right in front of the roundabout, when suddenly I could not feel the sand under my feet. Before I knew it I was well over a mile out, the island only barely visible as a faint line, and I thought that was it. Somehow managed to get back, to be told by a local that sometimes 2 - 3 people get drowned in a day at that beach ! A couple of months ago I met an old acquaintance in Pattaya who told me that his wife had disappeared, body never found. I said "Karon"? He said "Yes". This beach is a killer for sure, and as long as people take no notice of warnings it will continue to be so. Every time someone tells me they are going to Phuket I warn them in no uncertain terms.

what warning you talk about ?, i been Karon 20 times, not seen any warning posted, exept some worn out red flags , almoust drowned myself there for a week ago, very strong Current,, ADVICE everybody not to get deeper than to just below your chest there

OK, next problem please.

What other options are there? I mean, the Lifeguards could approach people and tell them not to swim. How well would that go down? One of the things many of us enjoy over here is the freedom to do what we choose. Besides, in most western countries signs + lifeguards are all that are needed as well.

There are always going to be tourists who come over here and do silly things, and then suffer the consequences.

What other options are there? Well, for a start, the gov and his mates could watch a bit of telly and see how it is supposed to be done instead of wringing their hands, tut-tutting and spending 50 million baht on some bronze statues:

The swimmers are more deadly than Karon beach.

Learn about something before you try to tame it...

Learn about food before you eat...

Learn about cars and the road before you drive....

Learn about the sea before you befriend it...

The sea is not a swimming pool... Learn that before you come here.

The seas of Thailand are not good teachers...

As I understand it there is house riptide during the monsoon season. This should be marked and an extra

guard tower positioned there. This is were most of the people drown from what I have been told.

Australians and people who live on a swim-able coastline know how to handle rip tides. Most others

do not. Also many people overestimate there swimming ability. Especially those who have done the majority

of there swimming in a pool.

If in one year alone they saved over a thousand people, probably more got themselves out of trouble eventually, then maybe the stretch of beach they say is "the deadliest in Phuket" should be closed to the public as being too dangerous to swim in!!

You can't beat nature....

End of story!!

what warning you talk about ?, i been Karon 20 times, not seen any warning posted, exept some worn out red flags , almoust drowned myself there for a week ago, very strong Current,, ADVICE everybody not to get deeper than to just below your chest there

There are large warning signs at most of the entrances to the beach. Maybe not enough and maybe there should be some on the beach but they are there.