sticky s**t greed or desperation

salavan

... If you were angry about overpaying 85 satang, you could have asked for 75 satang in coins and not left until you got it.

If the OP had given the girl a 1 baht coin instead of being a smartarse and pissing her off with the 1000 baht note, she would have given him back 75 satang and he could take his complaint about the 'impossible to pay' 10 satangs to the internet company and not their staff.
Or like me, he can pay online where they will happily accept all sorts of teeny weeny satangs regardless of the fact that the 25 satang is the smallest franked coin in the realm... and take his complaint to the internet company anyway.
  • Like 1

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The real issue here is not the .15, but the mechanisms in place for paying for goods and services. Some providers are excellent, others are abysmal. For example, paying electricity in advance ( as sometimes I will not be around when bills come in) , MEA will accept this but will not send the monthly bill if the account is in credit ...thereby creating confusion.

Thailand is yet to fully embrace or even understand the concept of direct debit. Those providers who make my life easier by facilitating efficient payment options will get my business ( assuming quality is acceptable).

Who wants to spend 30 minutes waiting in a queue to pay an 800 Baht bill?

Is anyone else thinking that this guy must be the Cheapest Charlie in the world to be whingeing over 15 satang?w00t.gif

im not winging over 15 satang if you read properly which i doubt that you can you will see that im trying to show you how the thai's winge over 15 satang

So you expect to pay less than you should because you don't have the right change?

It was impossible for him to have the 'right change', also impossible for the cashier to give him the correct change.

Time for a bun fight at the 'not ok corral' then?

Why do simple little problems get turned in to major issue here?

No, it's ok, the question was rhetorical.

Actually not as rhetorical you may think.

So many Thais have such repressed anger, coupled with deep seated inferiority complexes that they will often go out of their way to cause issues/problems whatever to help sedate their poor emotional and psychological state.

They may explode completely when the issue they created is turned back onto them, like the link I posted earlier to the 1 Baht Killer who killed a man because he refused to give him the 1 baht for the extra gas that was demanded of him.

The saying is 'Behind every smile is an angry Thai'. Not every of course, but a lot more than newbies like you may imagine. :)

I'm with the op to a degree. Although the bill needs to be paid whatever the amount, the lady should have at least given 75 satang change. I pulled the bank up on this while paying the internet for many years, which is such & such and 23 satang. They'd always ask for the extra baht and never give change. Over time through thousands of customers, the bank is making for nothing. That one can pay exact amounts through service providers is irrelevant as is the tiny amount we're talking about. Bottom line, somebody is getting something for nothing, and when it comes to the banks, they can swivel for even one satang!

Those 75 satangs would add up over 1000's of bills every month. Remember the case of the bank staff who skimmed 1 baht off 500,000 accounts. Who'd notice 1 baht missing. Well one or two obviously did. 500,000b added up nicely though.

• Like 2

If the OP had given the girl a 1 baht coin instead of being a smartarse and pissing her off with the 1000 baht note, she would have given him back 75 satang and he could take his complaint about the 'impossible to pay' 10 satangs to the internet company and not their staff.

I guess you must know the girl if you can state this with certainty, however did you read the OP and noticed that he didn't have a 1 Baht coin ?

• Like 1

The guy didnt have 1 baht!!!! Furthermore I have paid a bill before in thailand and and not received the satang part in change because the company did not have any satang ,I wasn't asked if I didnt mind,the cashier just never gave the correct amount.So it not just the farang who are "being miserly"

Edited by kingalfred

So you expect to pay less than you should because you don't have the right change?

It was impossible for him to have the 'right change', also impossible for the cashier to give him the correct change.

Time for a bun fight at the 'not ok corral' then?

Why do simple little problems get turned in to major issue here?

No, it's ok, the question was rhetorical.

Actually not as rhetorical you may think.

So many Thais have such repressed anger, coupled with deep seated inferiority complexes that they will often go out of their way to cause issues/problems whatever to help sedate their poor emotional and psychological state.

They may explode completely when the issue they created is turned back onto them, like the link I posted earlier to the 1 Baht Killer who killed a man because he refused to give him the 1 baht for the extra gas that was demanded of him.

The saying is 'Behind every smile is an angry Thai'. Not every of course, but a lot more than newbies like you may imagine. smile.png

Newbie?

rounded up or down to the nearest baht usually the point im trying to make is no give and take only take

You come across as arrogant and self righteous and the only party in this case who is <deleted> greedy and desperate seems to be you. .

Why did you not just smile, be polite and give the lady you`re 1000 note to pay the bill instead of being awkward and giving the staff a hard time?

Any monies short in the till after the shift has to come from that person`s wages, so why should any of the staff be expected to subsidise your Internet bill, even for 1 baht?

The lady was quite right to insist you cover the whole amount and to be honest, if I had worked in that shop, I would have told you to get lost and find another ISP that are more tolerant in dealing with customers like you.

My advice to you is; get a life, there are worst troubles at sea.

• Like 1

She has every right

Actually that is not the case.

Under the Thai Retail act a product/service provider cannot sell their product/service when they do not have the change to give to the customer, without informing the customer that they cannot give them the full amount of change that they are legally entitled to.

She did not have the 85 satang to give, because their is no denomination of coins that would amount to that. As such to continue the transaction she demanded an amount where she could not give the customer the change he was legally entitled to.

So no, she does not have every right. She had every right to refuse the transaction and the customer had every right to cancel it, but they didn't.

She has every right

Actually that is not the case.

Under the Thai Retail act a product/service provider cannot sell their product/service

Correct me if I'm wrong ... but there was no product or service being sold.

The store was acting as an agent ... a third party 'clearing house'.

Now, I'm not asking for your interpretation on this ...

But what does the 'Thai Retail Act' have to say about that ... rolleyes.gif

p.s. ...can't believe we've got to 2 pages on this 'small change' subject ... facepalm.gif

I am amazed with a lot of nonsense coming out from TV members posts.

Please tell me in which European shop you can go and pay a penny or a cent less and they will let you go?

Come on get real people, look into your own backyard and stop bushing the Thais.

Except if you have been for too long in Thailand and you forgot what is happening in your own countries!

• Like 1

you are being unreasonable making a fuss... it might sound trivial but it is the same everywhere. if it was at the market or a privately owned shop they would have rounded it down, but for amenities or service provider on a computerized system???? if everyone made a fuss how much would the poor girl have to pay out her own money for short paying customers at the end of each day...... is that fair????

write to the service provider and see if they can install a flexible payment system just for you.... see what they say...

rounded up or down to the nearest baht usually the point im trying to make is no give and take only take

If the cashier is short on takings she has to make it up out of her own money. Why should she pay part of your internet bill for you? coffee1.gif

were talking about 0.15 stang here impossible to make up that amount up as the lowest denomination is 0.25

"were talking about 0.15 stang here "

No it's 15 satang, Not "0.15 stang." Learn something about the money in Thailand.

It seems a bit odd that the O/P is accusing the cashier of being "mean," in the cheap sense, but it's he who can't come up with the full amount of the bill presented to him. If you don't have the exact change, pay with the Baht 1000 note. Surely you can budget around the 10 satang hit you may take when change is being made.

The posts on TV are becoming more petty and asinine by the day.

oh and by the way this is not a troll

At least you have the sense to realize how you must sound to everyone reading this thread.

Edited by Suradit69

Is anyone else thinking that this guy must be the Cheapest Charlie in the world to be whingeing over 15 satang?w00t.gif

im not winging over 15 satang if you read properly which i doubt that you can you will see that im trying to show you how the thai's winge over 15 satang

A Thai posted on here, whinging about 15 satang? I missed that.

I thought I saw where a cheap charlie farang was whinging.

Oh well. I'm often wrong.

Is anyone else thinking than a multibillion company make the wrong choice when employing a bitter female cashier that won't say "mai pen rai" for 15 satangs over 635 Bts, as any food stall vendor would have done over 20 Bts ?
Is it because I is white

Don't be put off by the righteous satang counters here, reality is that she would not have lost anything, any cashier always has a little coins buffer because people leave small coins behind all the time. In the US you see it as "give a penny take a penny", In thailand you don't but is there anyway.

Nobody in Thailand makes a fuss for 15 satangs, she wanted to give you a bad time and surely had resentment toward foreigners.

Are you serious? Now the race card.

This is too funny.

That she had "...resentment toward foreigners" before this happened is not certain.

That she has it now, almost surely is.

Is anyone else thinking than a multibillion company make the wrong choice when employing a bitter female cashier that won't say "mai pen rai" for 15 satangs over 635 Bts, as any food stall vendor would have done over 20 Bts ?

Highly likely the billing was done by a computerised system. Pay the money. Pay over the amount and get a credit for next month. Its not that hard.

Highly likely the billing was done by a computerised system. Pay the money. Pay over the amount and get a credit for next month. Its not that hard.

In your mind or in your country. Here, only exact payments are accepted.

• Like 1

In your mind or in your country. Here, only exact payments are accepted.

Never been an issue. If you can't afford to lose 85 satang you really need to consider having an internet connection at all. I very much doubt this particular girl is going to retire wealthy based on a farang who can't pay his bill correctly. She probably deserves an 85 satang tip putting it with you tight <deleted>.

Edited by Mudcrab
  • Like 2

I did not read all posts, but I had the same issue with the guy who collects the power bills in my village.

He poped up with no warning, presented you the bill and wanted instantly the money. He never had change so you better keep always enough small bills and coins.

He ALWAYS rounded the amounts to a full baht, even the total was xxx.01 baht. I got pixxed off. So I kept some 25-satang-coins and next time I rounded up to the next 25 satang even the satang amount was under the threshold (12, 49, 74 satang). Then he made a BIG fuss and insited of a full baht up.

You may notice that I am writing in the past tense!

• Like 1

If the cashier is short on takings she has to make it up out of her own money. Why should she pay part of your internet bill for you? coffee1.gif

were talking about 0.15 stang here impossible to make up that amount up as the lowest denomination is 0.25

If multiple people do it, it will add up. It means more to her than to you so pay it, and stop posting crap on here.

• Like 1