Protest leader Suthep: Political reform first, election later

webfact

Protest leader: Political reform first, election later
By Digital Content

13872522584070.jpg

BANGKOK, Dec 17 - Protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban has reaffirmed that the anti-government People’s Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) did not reject the election but want it to be postponed to open the way for political reform which could take at least a year or a year and a half to complete.

Mr Suthep, in his statement to protesters at the Democracy Monument last night, said the PDRC opposed the election which will be organised under the existing system but want a new system which will prevent corrupt politicians from politics.

He claimed that the existing rules of election has opened ways for vote buying which was the cause of corruption.

Once some laws have been rewritten, some Articles in the Constitution have been amended in accordance with the political reform, the general election could be held and democracy could move forward, the protest leader said.

The former Democrat MP also said the PDRC wants a free and fair election in order to get good MPs and good government. Therefore, he stated that the poll should be delayed for reform which could take a year or a year and a half.

The urgent matters needing to be addressed were how to ensure the free and fair election; corruption eradication; decentralisation and giving more power to the people; to narrow the income gap in society, and to
reform the structure of the police, he said.

Mr Suthep claimed that the PDRC is gaining more support from the people and that provincial committees of the PDRC have been set up in many provinces nationwide as well as in Los Angeles. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-12-17

So has he given up his plans on his totalitarian PCAD?? I don't understand how a self elected people's council is supposed to be in favor of democracy? It just all sounds so Mao Zedong... Also while Suthep was in the government with Abbhisit, didn't he suddenly get a lot of land in Surat? It's not like he is an innocent white dove free from involvement with any corruption. So who is he to speak about it? Especially in his totalitarian way where he refuses to listen to others ideas if they don't cope with his... And the statement that it's a question of choosing between too much or less corruption is just ridiculous... He want reform? Then he should step aside together with the Shinawatra's...

Surely there must be some normal party understanding democracy in the country? Let them grow and take over all the mess these insanities have created during the years...

Edited by banglassie
  • Like 1

He never said he didn't want an election. He said that he didn't want an election that Thaksin the fugitive well known for getting his parties to commit fraud to win elections was involved in as it would never be a fair election. Try reading more. He wants the Shin's gone. Once they leave, election will happen. Capiche ?

• Like 2

Mr Suthep, in his statement to protesters at the Democracy Monument last night, said the PDRC opposed the election which will be organised under the existing system but want a new system which will prevent corrupt politicians from politics.

Can we just have a law to prevent would be dictators and corrupt individuals like Suthep out of politics. It would solve so many problems if the police would enforce it. Charlerm's 48 hours was up a long time ago.

• Like 1

Can we just have a law to prevent would be dictators and corrupt individuals like Suthep out of politics. It would solve so many problems if the police would enforce it. Charlerm's 48 hours was up a long time ago.

I noticed you said keep Suthep out, but failed to mention Thaksin who is at the bottom of all this shit in the first place.

I would much rather support Suthep and his reform before elections mantra and sit back and see what happens over the next 4 years or so, than sit back and watch what the next 4 years will bring under this Thaksin/Yingluck rule.

I think it is in the best interests of 68 million Thai people, even if they don't realize it.

I noticed you said keep Suthep out, but failed to mention Thaksin who is at the bottom of all this shit in the first place.

I would much rather support Suthep and his reform before elections mantra and sit back and see what happens over the next 4 years or so, than sit back and watch what the next 4 years will bring under this Thaksin/Yingluck rule.

I think it is in the best interests of 68 million Thai people, even if they don't realize it.

Many people seem to be doing what they think is best for Thais, but without asking them. In any western country people would be demanding the arrest and conviction of the lunatic Suthep who is trying to destroy what little democracy Thailand has; for their own good of course. Perhaps it is time to take the training wheels off democarcy and see where it takes the country and give the voters the respect they deserve, even if you and Suthep don't like it.

• Like 2

Many people seem to be doing what they think is best for Thais, but without asking them. In any western country people would be demanding the arrest and conviction of the lunatic Suthep who is trying to destroy what little democracy Thailand has; for their own good of course. Perhaps it is time to take the training wheels off democarcy and see where it takes the country and give the voters the respect they deserve, even if you and Suthep don't like it.

Like Castrol, Mao, etc. Suthep may seems to you like a lunatic. But these great people are not. They are the true supreme leader of the universe.

• Like 1

It would seem that both Thaksin and Suthep are in agreement on this thorny issue.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/4293-thaksin-democracy-is-not-my-goal/

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/PMS-DECLARATIONDemocracy-is-not-my-goal-90316.html

*which could take at least a year or a year and a half to complete*

First it was a few months, then it became a year now its a year and a half bah.gif .......... yea ok slowly but surely we are getting the real picture. Lets just get to the statement that says " when the people ( we ) are ready and not before"

Newsflash... the people are NEVER ready, this is a false argument. whistling.gif

And this is where we get the, we know whats best for you because your not smart enough mantra again i suppose. ?

Stupid ideals based on the premise that some know better and the rest are clueless...... superiority complex much ? bah.gif

Edited by englishoak

Does anyone really believe that if Suthep and his merry men get their way then there will be an election in the foreseeable future?

Elections, political parties, freedom of speech and freedom of assembly will be curtailed. A fter all, they will be no longer needed under their benevolent rule.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

And this is where we get the, we know whats best for you because your not smart enough mantra again i suppose. ?

Stupid ideals based on the premise that some know better and the rest are clueless...... superiority complex much ? bah.gif

That's why he is a leader, not you.

Like Castrol, Mao, etc. Suthep may seems to you like a lunatic. But these great people are not. They are the true supreme leader of the universe.

you forgot the Great Leader and the Dear Leader! Never Forget the Great leader and bow with Respect!! DPRK will come after you!

Agree - and they would also demand the extradition, imprisonment and prosecution of outstanding charges for the lunatic fugitive, who has caused so much destruction to Thailand. And they would demand that laws were enforced fairly, which would mean a full investigation of Yingluck for the perjury issue Tarit so conveniently dropped, and the illegal issuing of a passport to a criminal.

To give the voters the respect they deserve would require a justice system that works, a government that is transparent and accountable and certainly not lunatic megalomaniacs like Thaksin or Suthep dictating their very undemocratic self interest only polices whether direct or through a proxy puppet.

Another megalomaniac who thinks he knows best.