Hash House Harriers

svenivan

HHH have been around for a couple of years here in Chiang Rai. It is good fun, you meet some nice people and your body has to move a little. And after you have a cold drink (beer, coke, water etc) with your friends.

The May hash is scheduled for Saturday May 20 beginning at 4 p.m.

It will follow shaded trails on and around Doi Khao Kwai, the

hill 4km south of town. Gourmet snacks will await participants. To give us

some idea of how much food to prepare, please call Win (Smoked Wiener) at

01-883-9475. Swimmers may wish to bring optional swimwear. Soap and

shampoo will be provided for post-hash decontamination.

Someone interested?

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HHH have been around for a couple of years here in Chiang Rai. It is good fun, you meet some nice people and your body has to move a little. And after you have a cold drink (beer, coke, water etc) with your friends.

The May hash is scheduled for Saturday May 20 beginning at 4 p.m.

It will follow shaded trails on and around Doi Khao Kwai, the

hill 4km south of town. Gourmet snacks will await participants. To give us

some idea of how much food to prepare, please call Win (Smoked Wiener) at

01-883-9475. Swimmers may wish to bring optional swimwear. Soap and

shampoo will be provided for post-hash decontamination.

Someone interested?

In the afternoon it is quite difficult for me to ejoy but next time you set it up in the morning ,i'l be there greetings and good luck.

i will be there

come on its a little bit of fun, nice walk/run,good exercise

does not matter how old you are,what else are we doing on a saturday afternoon,all welcome

what else are we doing on a saturday afternoon,

To give you an example how I spend yesterdays Saturday afternoon:

We first went to a wedding in a Christian non-Thai village. It was the first wedding I attended in my life where only softdrinks were supposed to create a good mood.

The long speeches and Christian songs (by singers who hopefully have talents in other fields) were not very helpful either. I don't know if the people themselves were in a good mood, because don't know how they normally are. I didn't notice anything special.

So in a way this was an experience.

Then we went to a real Thai village wedding.

Great! You know the details. It was as you could expect it to be (including the lovely belly buttons of the young and charming 'morlamming' and 'ramwonging' ladies of the band). The newly married couple, beatifully dressed as their little three year old son was, hade great fun themselves.

The Thai village people know how to celebrate, how to have fun. The number of laughters was much higher than at the first wedding. Substantially higher.

Christians, like Muslims, often give the impression of being angry and unhappy. Catholics and Buddhists seem to live happier.

But maybe I don't see this right: I am a former Catholic living in a Buddhist country.

And I love it!

Sorry Soap, but if there would have been a run yesterday, this would have been the alternative.

How hard do you run and how far? Can you walk quitly as well?

Do you have an ambulance following, doctors, nurses, bottles of oxygen and other usefull things?

Is it allowed to have a beer afterwards (or before) :o ?

Limbo :D

what else are we doing on a saturday afternoon,

Sorry Soap, but if there would have been a run yesterday, this would have been the alternative.

Do you have an ambulance following, doctors, nurses, bottles of oxygen and other usefull things?

Is it allowed to have a beer afterwards (or before) :o ?

Hi Limbo,

In the HHH you run if you like and you walk if you like or make a combination.

And YES, after the run/walk that normally is 6-8 km, we have drinks including beer!

The HHH is not a competition, it is a social thing!

Welcome next month! Normally third Saturday every month!

Sounds great, its maybe an idea to advertise it a little from a place in town (like a bar or restaurant)

Were we can go then afterwourds to drink beer and other drinks. :o

i am entrusted with two tasks on the hash,the first is to take care of the tailenders so they dont get lost, i have to FORCE myself not to run very fast.

my second task his to have the beer box ready and to sample the first beer to make sure there is no impurities in the can, so if i come flying past you hanging on to a thai farmers motorbike with 1k to go i hope you understand i am not cheating

i am entrusted with two tasks on the hash,the first is to take care of the tailenders so they dont get lost, i have to FORCE myself not to run very fast.

my second task his to have the beer box ready and to sample the first beer to make sure there is no impurities in the can, so if i come flying past you hanging on to a thai farmers motorbike with 1k to go i hope you understand i am not cheating

I would love to be your humble assistent!

Limbo :o

Were we can go then afterwourds to drink beer and other drinks. :D

There is a new bar on Jetyod road named CR 49. Another dutchman-but good place, i recommend it. :o

Why is the "Netherlands" taking over our community???? My leiw. :D

Directions to the Hash:

Driving directions: Starting at the Little Duck Hotel (the architectural

marriage of Potala and San Quentin), leave by the western entrance, setting

your trip odometer to 0.0.

Turn right onto Phaholyothin Road, heading north toward town.

Take the first left at km 0.6 onto Doi Phabaht Rd. heading west. This T

intersection is marked by a sign for "Napa Lodge." If you miss the turn,

make a U-turn at the PTT gas station on the RH side of Phaholyothin Rd.

Follow Doi Phabaht Rd westward across the runway at km 1.0 toward the

temple entrance.

At the temple entrance, turn left heading south along the temple wall.

Turn right beyond the crematorium grounds at km 1.3 heading west along a

narrow paved road.

Turn sharp left at the King's portrait at km 1.5. Follow Doi Phabaht Rd.

curving generally southwest for two and a half km. Please drive slowly

through the community.

At km 4.0 turn right through a high wooden gate (HHH sign) onto a straight

gravel road heading north toward Doi Khao Kwai hill. Turn right at km 4.2

(HHH sign) heading east on a narrow gravel road past a lumber shed. Park

in the orchard beyond.

The hash will start promptly at 4 PM to ensure that no participants are

left overnight in the deep woods. It will take about 20 minutes to get

from the Little Duck Hotel to the departure point assuming no mistakes are

made.

On On.

Coming from Den Ha you drive the old Chiang Mai Road to the south untill it changes into a kind of sixlane 'superhighway'. There you slow down and start looking for a protestant church at your left side. The soi after the church is Soi 5. This one you take. If you miss it you turn at the Cosmo gasoline station at the right side of the road. It is almost opposite.

In Soi 5 you pass after hundred meters al little barbershop at your left, where also an excellent massage is given. You continue another fifty meters and follow the road in a sharp curve to the right. Fifty meters further the road makes a sharp curve to the left again to give you the feeling that you went straight on all the time.

A little bit more than one kilometer further you will find a very monumental wooden gate at your left with signs of HHH. :o

I don't know if the people themselves were in a good mood, because don't know how they normally are. . . Christians, like Muslims, often give the impression of being angry and unhappy.

Limbo,

Is it because they are convinced that they already have the answers to all the big questions in life thereby leaving no more mysteries to ponder? Depressing!

On topic

I understand that the HHH spend a great deal of their time in mysterious reflection. Wrestling with issues such as – Who are we? - What are we doing here? - Will there be enough beer at the end of this run? – Is a fat man’s slow walk more beneficial than a thin man’s sprint? . . .

:D:D Mymechew

Is it because christians are convinced that they already have the answers to all the big questions in life thereby leaving no more mysteries to ponder? Depressing!

....Mymechew suggested.

Another interpretation of your presumtion is, that the Christian answers are extremely depressing. And that their closed believe system doesn't allow them to continue their search.

It must have been very hard for them to admit that the earth is not flat.

That's what they have in common with among others communists: The paradigma of their belief, how earthly it might be, is as holy and untouchable as the heavenly christian one.

On topic

I understand that the HHH spend a great deal of their time in mysterious reflection. Wrestling with issues such as – Who are we? - What are we doing here? - Will there be enough beer at the end of this run? – Is a fat man’s slow walk more beneficial than a thin man’s sprint? . . .

... Mymechew entrusted us.

So the HHH is a philosophical society! Run or walk with the HHH and you don't have any obligations on the Sunday morning following. I am really curious. I have obligations to-morrow, otherwise I would join for a walk. Some of the guys I know and they are jolly good fellows.

And, as Soap already mentioned: A walk isn't bad, especially as it makes you feel that you earn an award afterwards.

Good Idea!

Thanks Svenivan for bringing it up.

We had a very good Hash. We were more than 15 people climbing the Buffalo Hill upwards and downwards. Not much running but it was 54 tough, very tough minutes!!. :o:D:D:D:D

There were people coming all the way from Holland, 4 beautiful ladies and some from Chiang Mai.

After we could have a nice shower and a swim in the pool.

Then Win had prepared a very nice meal with ricesoup, spaghetti, sallad, Sweet mango with sticky rice and lots of fruits. This was much more than the normal snacks!

And of course we had a lot of beer after. I tested four different types and the most interesting was a very dark stout brewed in Malaysia, 8% !!! :D

This was a Hash we never forget!

Thanks Win ! :D:D:D

Perhaps some pictures might encourage others to participate.....

There are some aspects of this Hash that sound interesting,,,need i say more.

:o

i would not recommend taking a picture of my backside going up a hill but i would second everything svenivan posted,good exercise ( i did not think i was so fit) good company from the evenly mixed thai and farang hashers, good banter from the grand master for the day ( sorry forgot his name)

excellent food and drink organised by our hosts for the evening win and his charming wife(beautiful house)

thank you, seeyou the 3rd saturday next month

Hi all:

Thanks, God! Finally HHH has arrived CEI. Why has it taken all long. So CEI is no longer a backwater as my good friend likes to tell me.

I recall it has been around since I was a "real" dek (kid) and now honestly I am getting old or at least feel that way.

No, like Limbo, I will not run or jog. My doc advised me not to as it will hurt my back. No good for someone who has performed a stuntman act diving into Koh Samui with a motor bike. Great if I am allowed to brisk-walk and I would probably want to join on condition it is organized properly.

The beer at the end when everyone has arrived is the ritual. But before each HHH run, someone has to actually decide on a trail and lay down pieces of markers every few hundreds meter along the trail for the members to follow and find the trail. The fun is sometimes many would get lost and never get to the end of the rainbow where there is no pot of gold but lots beers! The markers are meant for the hares to go after the herriers or the other way around!?

When is the next event, where and who to contact?

dekbannok

Hi Dek,

I am happy to hear that you are interested to join the Honourable Group of Hashers!

You can tell your friends that Chiang Rai has had HHH since 2004 and I think the next run will be number 19.

It is always the third Saturday every month and normally it starts 4PM sharp.

Most people take it easy and have a good walk but there are always a bunch of youngsters that go for it and that is good. They find the way for the rest of us!

When next run is decided it will be announced here in TV in this topic!

See you !!

ps and if you are really into this HHH then you can go to Chiang Mai in end of October and join the other 6000 people from 94 countries for the World Hash!

i would not recommend taking a picture of my backside going up a hill but i would second everything svenivan posted,good exercise ( i did not think i was so fit)

Dek, to be sure that we survive it (these dare-devils must have climbed the Doi Kao Kwai, which is a real calf-biter), let's join the soap-section of the Chiang Rai HHH.

And don't forget to bring your camera :D

Hi Svenivan, Thanks for the input. So the next event is scheduled for June 17, the 3rd Sat of the month.

I recall once I was in Songkla staying at the beautiful Samila Beach Hotel (the old one before they tore it down and put up an ugly structure that I hate), there was HHH group just arrived at the beach at the Nai Wan Seafood restaurant. Boy, I could see how much fun they were having. Yes, with family members too assuming they were all waiting at the end of the rainbow for the goodies. Therefore, I suggest we can plan one the same way to arrive at Chiang Rai beach and have fun by the beach now the Songkran crowds will not return till next April. Or perhaps it has been done?

Yes, I do look forward to seeing you all next month if I am not stuck in Chiang Mai University giving guest lecture to a group of post-graduate students.

Dek Mai, Dekbannok

Hi Dek,

I am happy to hear that you are interested to join the Honourable Group of Hashers!

You can tell your friends that Chiang Rai has had HHH since 2004 and I think the next run will be number 19.

It is always the third Saturday every month and normally it starts 4PM sharp.

Most people take it easy and have a good walk but there are always a bunch of youngsters that go for it and that is good. They find the way for the rest of us!

When next run is decided it will be announced here in TV in this topic!

See you !!

ps and if you are really into this HHH then you can go to Chiang Mai in end of October and join the other 6000 people from 94 countries for the World Hash!

Ya, Limbo. You said it. I also thought Doi Kao Kwai is only for the dare-devils. Even my car had a hard time climing up the hill last time I was there. You know, I think in the old days only baffalos went up there and they did not seemed to have survived. They managed to get up there but could not come down and their bodies simply melted away leaving only the horns remained on the top of the hill. That's how they got the name "Doi Kao Kwai" I believe. Please enlighten me if I am wrong as you know I am a new kid on the block or dek mai Chiang Rai.

i would not recommend taking a picture of my backside going up a hill but i would second everything svenivan posted,good exercise ( i did not think i was so fit)

Dek, to be sure that we survive it (these dare-devils must have climbed the Doi Kao Kwai, which is a real calf-biter), let's join the soap-section of the Chiang Rai HHH.

And don't forget to bring your camera :D

• 2 weeks later...

:o:D:D NEXT HASH :D:D:D

Greetings to all hashers!

Our next run will take place on Saturday June 17 beginning

at 4 p.m.

Nam Rawn dearly remembered for his unforgetable

Kok River run is haring again!

This time the run will start and end at his piece of

land in Suan Dok. From Chiang Rai, take the

superhighway south. At the traffic light near the

white wat (Rong Kun), take a right. Drive until you

hit the old Chiang Mai road. Go straight across the

intersection into a village and look for the HHH

signs.

It is about 15 km. south of Chiang Rai. Plan on at least

a 20 minute drive from the Big C.

In an effort to make up for past sins, Nam Rawn is thinking about offering 2 runs,

a long one that is challenging and a simpler walk in the woods.

Please RSVP to Nam Rawn ( [email protected]) as he needs to know how

much food to get.

:D:D:D:D

Coming from town:

The main East-West street (Tannalai Road) to Pratu Chiang Mai, straight on, Rayotha Road to Den Ha and straight on again the old road to Chiang Mai.

After a while you pass Kurt's oistrich farm, the Kanchanaphisek Technical school and Ban Nong Moh.

Some five kilometers further you see a Christian Church at your left. That's Ban Sun Dok (sp?).

About hundred meters further a T-crossing with the big road to Wat Rong Kun going to the left.

But it isn't a T-crossing!

And why not?

Because there is a little soi going to the right!

And that's the one Ivan mentions.

You take this soi untill it ends about hundred meter further. There you take to the right over a little bridge.

After this little bridge you take immediatly to the left. And you will be very close!

And you can pick another moment to go to Big C. I guess Den Ha (to the right is Pattaya Noi) to Ban Sun Dok will be about 12 kilometers.

at 4 p.m.

Hi Svenivan,

I hope that "It is always the third Saturday every month and normally it starts 4PM sharp" still is valid as it now collides with an other event the 17th.

Are you sure you got the date right?

at 4 p.m.

Hi Svenivan,

I hope that "It is always the third Saturday every month and normally it starts 4PM sharp" still is valid as it now collides with an other event the 17th.

Are you sure you got the date right?

Sorry Dr Limbo, I don't understand your post. What is the other event?

Saturday 17th of June is the third Saturday in June (this year). The first one 3rd, second the 10th and the third is the 17th.

Maybe I got something wrong here but I am not a Dr. Splease Dr Limbo, explain for me!

All the best!

Maybe I got something wrong here but I am not a Dr!

Doesn't matter at all!

I am absolutely convinced about your mathematical skills now.

3, 10, 17, It fits!

The other event I referred to was the opening of the exhibition 'Snappers' at 9 Art Gallery/Architect Studio. Same day at 19.00 pm.

I didn't even dare to mention Oneeyed's alternatives.

Limbo Lundensare :o

Maybe I got something wrong here but I am not a Dr!

Doesn't matter at all!

I am absolutely convinced about your mathematical skills now.

3, 10, 17, It fits!

The other event I referred to was the opening of the exhibition 'Snappers' at 9 Art Gallery/Architect Studio. Same day at 19.00 pm.

I didn't even dare to mention Oneeyed's alternatives.

Limbo Lundensare :o

well limbo i have to be at the hash, hasher george has gone off to vietnam for a couple of days and with him being the guardian of the booze box he has entrusted me with this sacred task.

so by hook or by crook (mostly crook) i shall be there to make sure my fellow hashers get there just deserves" HIC"