Lubuntu

Cloggie

Lubuntu is my newest current distro of choice for recommendation and a few home computers. Another worth looking at that was recommended by someone else here recently is LXLE - it's a bit bloated for my personal taste, but a nice spin on lubuntu

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus SlimKat using Tapatalk

Try Puppy it runs like Usain Bolt on older hardware.

I haven't checked in awhile but my recollection is that puppy is somewhat lacking in security by default. Like a default install uses root without a password? I definitely like the concept though. I can obviously check myself, but what package management and sources does it use?

Try Puppy it runs like Usain Bolt on older hardware.

Hehehe, I'm a little thick and not very hip on current events, I had to look this up and learned something new tonight. Who'd have thunk an Usain Bolt was an actual person and not some new cybernetic processor? :)

• Like 1

I can second LXDE. Use it on my OpenSUSE install even though I have more than enough go on this laptop to require something so lightweight....just like the KISS principle.

but can you install opensuse with ONLY lxde, and without all the base dependencies that are not needed? i admit i haven't researched this much, but in my experience most major distros install a ton of crap by default, and though you can install a minimal DM like lxde, you still have a lot of crap that you have to remove manually if unneeded.

if you really want to live by KISS, then only arch, gentoo and maybe slackware are the way to go (or maybe LFC). but in my experience, the only easy way to achieve that is with arch.

regarding puppy, i just did some quick research and found that they seem to have 2 major current versions now, 1 based on ubuntu LTS (12.04) and 1 based on slackware. i am installing both in VMs right now, and plan to use them as topics of my new blog in the near future.

good thing my life is so boring that i have time to play with things like this! thumbsup.gif

I can second LXDE. Use it on my OpenSUSE install even though I have more than enough go on this laptop to require something so lightweight....just like the KISS principle.

but can you install opensuse with ONLY lxde, and without all the base dependencies that are not needed? i admit i haven't researched this much, but in my experience most major distros install a ton of crap by default, and though you can install a minimal DM like lxde, you still have a lot of crap that you have to remove manually if unneeded.

if you really want to live by KISS, then only arch, gentoo and maybe slackware are the way to go (or maybe LFC). but in my experience, the only easy way to achieve that is with arch.

Sure can...check out SUSE STudio. Can build exactly what you want.