is "moving from South Jomtien to far inside Soi Siam Country Club" a good move for a young family?

koeko

I have finally found a nice house, and it is located about 8km in Soi Siam Country Club.

I really don't know this area and from what I've seen there are quit a few older foreigners than young ones.

We are a young couple (under 25) with a baby, and I was wondering if this area was appropriate for us? I mean, is it likely that we meet other young people also with babies?

We are currently staying in a family-friendly Jomtien condo with a huge pool and hundreds of children in the entire resort. I want to move because of 3 reasons:

- noisy neighbors next to us (and also smoking neighbors above us)

- this condo is not really appropriate for long-term living (tiny fridge, no washing machine (and no space for it), etc.)

- I want a pet (not allowed in condo, even a cat!)

What are your thoughts?

Oh and also, I was wondering if this location is in reach for food delivery? like pizzas etc.

Not that I ever eat this kind of food, nor would I choose a home depending on that, but I'm just curious. It feels like if it's in reach for food delivery then it's "not so far"... is it?

Hey maybe I can also seek your advice about the home itself:

it's a new home in a new village, but there is one issue: there are about 6 neighboring houses that are still under ongoing construction. It's really noisy, but the landlord says it will be over in 6 months. Looks to me that it'll take closer to one year but whatever, that means no quiet time for MONTHS!

Having said that, the price is really cheap, and the house is really new, so perhaps it's a good compromise... What do you think? I'm switching from noisy condo neighbors, to a noisy village under constructions... hmmmm might be a stupid move after all?

Are either of you Thai? If you both are then yes, there may be others like you. If one of you is not then no, there will be very few 25+25 farang/Thai couple anywhere to be found. And assuming that you are the non-Thai then forget it. Having said that it is a nice area to live with nice people, the age thing really has to be ignored.

And yes, food can be delivered if you are desperate, but really there is plenty if you can be bothered to go out and look (as long as you don't leave it too late!)

• Like 1

Are either of you Thai? If you both are then yes, there may be others like you. If one of you is not then no, there will be very few 25+25 farang/Thai couple anywhere to be found. And assuming that you are the non-Thai then forget it. Having said that it is a nice area to live with nice people, the age thing really has to be ignored.

And yes, food can be delivered if you are desperate, but really there is plenty if you can be bothered to go out and look (as long as you don't leave it too late!)

Yes I'm obviously not Thai giggle.gif but my wife is!

Actually the age doesn't matter to me, I have plenty of friends that are 50+ years old. My main concern is for my baby to meet baby friends too, if you see what I mean. Where we live now there're lots of babies from all around the world (mostly Russians though) and I'm a little worried that by moving too far we kind of isolate our child from the others... What do you think?

Regarding food delivery, do McDonald deliver there? (just wondering)

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Unknown+road&daddr=Thanon+Sukhum+Vit%2F%E0%B8%96%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%99+%E0%B8%AA%E0%B8%B8%E0%B8%82%E0%B8%B8%E0%B8%A1%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%97&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=12.928025,100.917234&spn=0.055798,0.092182&sll=12.925746,100.898738&sspn=0.014033,0.023046&geocode=FW5FxQAdgmAEBg%3BFX8sxQAda5MDBg&mra=mift&mrsp=1&sz=16&t=m&z=14

So far from the beach, so boring !

Yes this is what I was also thinking... :( BUT the village where the house is located has a beautiful park with a nice swimming pool and relaxing area......... I know that doesn't compensate but still.

Anyway, we're talking about a COMPLETELY NEW house with 3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, 4 AC, 3 TV, big fridge, front-loading washing machine, and all this for.... wait for it..... 18000bahts/month! I couldn't find a better deal even 10km away.

Basically I'm choosing between a small condo with tiny fridge, no washing machine, but 800m from the beach, or a huge house, fully equiped, but 15km from the beach. I don't know if I need the beach so much, I'm staying at home longer than I'm staying on the beach!

• Like 1

If you plan on traveling into Pattaya during the hours of 7am to 7pm on a regular basis you should check out the traffic situation on Soi siam.

Thanks for the tip!

The traffic does indeed look horribly terrible, but if I'm going that far it's not to come back on a daily basis... I might go to Pattaya maybe twice a week, but not daily, so I think it's OK. I was more thinking about the traffic to go to the local markets on Soi Siam itself as they seem to be pretty near the sukhumvit aren't they? I'm talking about a fresh market for fruits/vegetables/meat

Relax, you will be fine! There are food deliveries and many places down Khao Noi, Khao Talo, Maprachan, Nerm Plub waan to eat as well. Once you get to know the backroads and shortcuts, getting into town will not be as bad as people make it out to be. In regards to construction, maybe that was a bad call on your part...but for the rest, you will never look back! All the best.

• Like 1

You will be fine there. A much better lifestyle than being in a condo. A yard for your family to relax.

The beach option for me doesn't matter given the cleanliness of the water, but is ok for a visit every now and again.

You will soon see if you have made a good choice. After all you are not buying but renting.

Get out and about get your bearings and you will find many different ways to get where you need to go.

Good luck, I think you will settle in and eventually find your move worthwhile.

• Like 1

Relax, you will be fine! There are food deliveries and many places down Khao Noi, Khao Talo, Maprachan, Nerm Plub waan to eat as well. Once you get to know the backroads and shortcuts, getting into town will not be as bad as people make it out to be. In regards to construction, maybe that was a bad call on your part...but for the rest, you will never look back! All the best.

So living 8km up SCC what shortcuts would you take to avoid the traffic on the bypass/suk road end ?

Heading out past the lake and then onto the 36 then back into Pattaya certainly could not be called a shortcut.

If you are in a gated community away from the increasingly noisy/violent prone beach areas in Jomtien/Pattaya, then you are likely making a good move. That would be especially true if you like to play golf. Taking trips to the market in town is not that hard to do. I really miss my dogs and can't have them where I am living (in a condo). Peaceful........not as many Neaderthals with Mohawks and tatoos all over looking for a fight.......go for it. No doubt most of the people will be much older than you. It would be a much nicer place to raise a child than in Pattaya-Jomtien.

• Like 2

If you are in a gated community away from the increasingly noisy/violent prone beach areas in Jomtien/Pattaya, then you are likely making a good move. That would be especially true if you like to play golf. Taking trips to the market in town is not that hard to do. I really miss my dogs and can't have them where I am living (in a condo). Peaceful........not as many Neaderthals with Mohawks and tatoos all over looking for a fight.......go for it. No doubt most of the people will be much older than you. It would be a much nicer place to raise a child than in Pattaya-Jomtien.

Both the condo where I live now in Jomtien, and the village in Soi SiamCC where I want to move, are particularly great gated communities/resorts with high security, so this isn't really a concern.

"Peaceful........not as many Neaderthals with Mohawks and tatoos all over looking for a fight......."

Not sure what you're talking about but I've never seen such thing in south Jomtien, and I do go to the beach quit often. Perhaps this side of the beach is visited by a different kind of population...

Edit: by the way I'm not (yet) a golfer giggle.gif

Edited by koeko

So living 8km up SCC what shortcuts would you take to avoid the traffic on the bypass/suk road end ?

Heading out past the lake and then onto the 36 then back into Pattaya certainly could not be called a shortcut.

Here is a shortcut to go to the Jomtien Beach:

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Unknown+road&daddr=12.9259286,100.9314358+to:%E0%B8%96%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%99+%E0%B8%88%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%A1%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%97%E0%B8%B5%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%AA%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%AB%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%B6%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%87&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=12.892804,100.921268&spn=0.111611,0.184364&sll=12.893222,100.88582&sspn=0.055806,0.092182&geocode=FW5FxQAdgmAEBg%3BFeg7xQAdaxcEBinpEVaenpUCMTF6bM2d1on_nw%3BFb-fxAAd0kcDBg&mra=mrv&t=m&z=13&via=1

I took it yesterday and there is no traffic at all, much faster! the distance is also shorter by 1km but Google Maps will show you a ride 1mn longer but in reality it's not, without the traffic it actually takes less time to reach the south side of the sukhumvit. I'm not sure if it's shorter to go to Pattaya, but to Jomtien it definitely is.

I would hardly call going to Jomtien Beach "Getting Into Town" but that is a good shortcut, I did not know you could go straight ahead at that Wat rather than turning right into Plub wan.

What shortcut would one use if going to say Central Festival ?

• Like 1

I would hardly call going to Jomtien Beach "Getting Into Town" but that is a good shortcut, I did not know you could go straight ahead at that Wat rather than turning right into Plub wan.

What shortcut would one use if going to say Central Festival ?

One can also use this shortcut to get to the Marko shopping mall on Sukhumvit.

Btw, is it Patta Village you are moving to?

wow how would you guess that?? it's not the only moobaan in the area!!

Congrats, you have made a wise move.

i didn't move yet, still need to make up my mind

Stay in Jomtien with the Russians then!

What's wrong with them?

Do you live there? how is it?

No I don't but have been looking at houses there. I agree that the 6 month timescale is not realistic, but they are a good developer and will get it done. I think it will be a very nice place to live when it's all done.

I have a young family and use to live in a condo in Jomtien, and now live in a 3 bed house in Soi Siam country Club, so I took the exact same route as you.

Trust me you have definitely made the right call. I love it out here (and believe me I'm not easily pleased either) it's mainly peaceful, a great selection of bars that are not full of whores, idiots and wannabees, plenty of food places and yes everything delivers out this way (it's really not that far you know) Also note, there are no Russians out here which is a massive plus in my book! I do not miss Jomtien, that's not to say I don't like it,I just don't miss it, and can still pop back occassionaly which I do. You also have easy access to the motorway to Bangkok over here too..

Don't worry about the traffic either, it really isn't that bad at all, but can get busy on weekends and around say 4-7 pm every night, but really not that bad. I try to avoid going into Pattaya at the weekends if possible.

What I also like is when you do go into Pattaya, say twice a week, as you say, it feels like you are having a little trip rather than it all being on your doorstep. As for missing the beach?? Do me a favour..

As for other young families, there are plenty of them out here to meet, your little one will not be isolated at all. Once you are in your village walk around when it gets to around 5pm ish when the sun is going down and you will see the other Mothers with their little un's hanging out around the vullage, guaranteed your missus and child will be making friends in no time! Mine have.

One tip, it will take you some time to learn the back streets over here, well it did with me, so be patient in that respect..

Congrats, you have made a wise move.

+1 all good points, and there are many moo Baans you can choose depending on your budget. We go into town 2-3 times a week for shopping , movies and visit to a restaurant, its easy to get to Bangkok, airport & golf courses. Learn the back roads and you will save time and effort.

We live in Soi Siam Country as well, i'm 36, our little fella is 10 months, we've been over here for nearly 5 years now, moving from a very busy condo place in town, best thing we ever did, on a motorbike it only take 5/10 minutes to get back in to town but once you've been over here a while you'll find that you don't really need or even want to head back into town, I did quite a lot recently but I had my brother here so it was tourist time for a while but he's gone and it's back to sitting by the pool, beers and food locally, there are also a few play school/kindergardens around here.

Best of luck.

Jimmy

• Like 1

What time days and times does your kid go out to play? You might head to the new house location and hang around the pool to see how many young kids are about.

Potential considerations - if you are moving into a housing estate that has mostly locals, the kids might keep quite different hours - lots of homework after school, then out to play when a lot of farang kids are actually heading to bed. Also, areas with lots of retirees are looking for peace and quiet and can actually be quite anti-kid. Terrible generalisation, but that was an experience I had.

Sounds like it'll be hard to match the condo you're in. Have you thought about finding another room in the same complex, away from the noisy smoking neighbours?

• Like 1