Pcmcia Lan Card

Gary A

My desktop computer recently had some major problems. I want to be able to hook up my old laptop to Ipstar Internet in case that happens again. The laptop has no modem at all but it does have a PCMCIA slot and one USB port. I went to all the shops in Loei and all they have are wireless cards. I tried to have several shops order a LAN card for me but they all say "BANGKOK NO HAVE". Anyone know any tricks to hook up that old laptop to Ipstar? :o I once had a PCMCIA card that had LAN and a regular telephone phone jack built in. Unfortunately it died long ago. One shop told me that all I have to do is hook up the IPSTAR modem USB to the USB port on the laptop. That didn't work.

Plenty of shops selling used items, and I've seen lan adapters. If you're desperate, you can buy the wireless card and a wireless access point, but that's a lot more expensive than the lan adapter.

PCMCIA LAN cards are available at both panthip and fortune tower (rachadapisek).

normally you would fine these in smaller shops which repairs laptops.

These days all laptops come with LAN and a modem inbuilt so the bigger shops dont keep them.

The best place to check would be the shops that sell 2nd hand laptops.

I guess I'll have to wait until I get to Bangkok. I looked at all the online stores and couldn't find any there either. I hate to think about buying a new laptop just for a LAN port. :o