Pond Fish Transfer

David48

• 3 weeks later...

A Farmer and his dogs are seldom parted, but this pack more faithful then many.

The reason for all the mud wasn't due to the water from the Fish transfer ... it had been relatively dry for a week then, as per Murphy's Law, huge storm the night before, thus a mud bath.

post-104736-0-34733700-1389127452_thumb.

Started looking like this ... lilly white ... facepalm.gif

post-104736-0-45316500-1389127446_thumb.

Leaving these ... you can't wear shoes, except for those special FarmShoes

post-104736-0-66826600-1389127222_thumb.

Only looking like this ...

But you're not reading to see my feet!

Meanwhile, back at the pond they were ...

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

^^ Thanks mate ... I actually have a little more media to present ... but I think sometimes no-one reads these threads.

I really enjoy doing them and documenting the Thai way.

I am sure that I not only speak for myself when I say that your threads are noticed and appreciated mate.

To tell you the truth today was the first time I noticed your thread,but I will be looking out for future posts !!!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I do want to fish finish this one off (thanks shaggy1969 ... thumbsup.gif )

Quick recap. Ma and Pa (future) In-Laws operate a fairly extensive Fish and Prawn/Shrimp Farm.

Multiple ponds.

With this one, it was used to raise the juvenile Pla Nin to about the size of the palm of your hand.

Which is then transferred to a larger (6 Rai (ish)) grow out pond.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Finishing off a second sweep of the pond ...

P8130055LR_zps1974fbd4.jpg

I didn't notice the photographers shadow when I was recording this ... facepalm.gif

For RBH ... a longer length YouTube ...

So this is the second sweep of the pond, the Pla Nin are captured in the net and then by lifting one end of the net herded towards a pocket, gathered by hand nets and transferred to the larger grow out pond. You'll see this in later media.

This is also my 13,000 post

boysinhats_zps2138f4f0_42209_zps38e2b883

... always happy to do that in the Farming Forum.

• Like 2

^^ Thanks mate.

I have a few more posts to go ...

So, there will be a 3rd and final sweep of the pond and the Farm Father is giving his instructions.

P8130072LR_zps5682cd80.jpg

And off down the pond the Team goes ...

P8130073LR_zpsb2c8df2a.jpg

It's a huge net, but that's needed because a lot of the other ponds are the Farm are much wider.

You can see the machine which empties the pond, into a drainage canal.

Sadly, unlike RBH's set-up there is no neighbouring rice paddy or crop to distribute that nutrient rich water onto.

They are slapping the water to move the fish away from the machine and towards the end of the Pond they will net and transfer from.

The pond is waist deep, about 1/2 emptied by depth of the water ... but because of the size of the pond and the sloped edges it's a lot less the 1/2 the water remaining.

The dogs at the end of the clip ... none of which belong to the Farm but to an 'Uncle' who is helping with the Harvest ... they follow him EVERYWHERE.

The water level continues to drop fairly quickly (it's a high capicity machine) and the workers lower themselves to do their best to keep the bottom of the net riding along the bottom of the pond.

• Like 1

Farm Father (white hat foreground) controls the net and uses just one hand ... he genuinely is that strong.

P8130084LR_zps05911bce.jpg

Something to note from this photo below are the 'shadows'. What they actually are the top layer of the pond being disturbed by the workers feet.

That steel grey colour is the detritus layer, or the by-product for the feeding of the fish ... not the nicest

thing to be wading through ... bah.gif

P8130085LR_zps3c33424f.jpg

... and it sticks, as you can see from this footprint below.

P8130157LR_zps145b0a23.jpg

This is a quick fast forward to when the pond is almost drained ... and you can clearly see the colour

from the photo below.

There will be another thread showing the attempt to 'clean' the pond.

P8130154ACLR_zpsb1ca1e4a.jpg

• Like 1