Temperatures in Thailand's North, Northeast expected to fall further

webfact

WEATHER
Temperatures in North, Northeast expected to fall further

The Nation

30222360-02_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- WITH DOI INTHANON in Chiang Mai blanketed with frost and temperatures at -2 degrees Celsius early yesterday, the weather bureau issued a warning of thunderstorms with gusty winds and hail as well as an 8 to 10-degree Celsius drop in temperature until Sunday in upper Thailand.

The Cabinet gave the Interior Ministry the job of tackling problems related to the cold spell in the North and Northeast. It suggested areas that are under 15 degrees Celsius for three days in a row should be declared disaster zones so residents are entitled to an emergency aid, government spokesman Teerat Ratanasevi said.

The minimum temperature in Chiang Mai was recorded at 14 degrees Celsius yesterday with frost in some areas, while Chiang Rai and Phayao were at 19 degrees and Mae Hong Son at 11 degrees.

Temperatures in the North could drop by another 3 to 5 degrees during this period, Pensiri Trisat, an expert at the northern meteorological centre, said.

Chiang Mai Public Health Office deputy chief Surasing Visaruthrat has warned young people and the elderly, especially those in high-altitude areas or with chronic illness, to keep warm.

Buri Ram in the Northeast has also suffered a 4-degree drop in temperature to 15 degrees Celsius yesterday following two days of off-season rain. Provincial officials reported some 338,000 people were in need of warm clothing and blankets.

Poh Teck Tung and Sawang Janyatam foundations provided villagers in Buri Ram's Lahan Sai and Ban Kruat districts with 1,000 sets of blankets and relief items. They also delivered a 20,000-litre drinking water tank to Ban Somjit village in Lahan Sai's Khok Wan sub-district.

The first death caused by the cold spell was recorded in Udon Thani's Muang district, where Chuchat Khongwicha, 51, from Nakhon Ratchasima, was found dead in a tent early yesterday. Doctors believe he died from the cold and rain as he had fallen asleep in the tent after getting drunk. The cold also claimed a 62-year-old in Phrae's Muang district yesterday.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-12-18

• Like 1

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

64*F here in Mae-Jo, just outside Chiang Mai, I've just added a wee drop of 'antifreeze' (well, Tullamore Dew) to my second coffee of the morning. smile.png

Certainly was cold last night !

Had to bust out the windbreaker for the morning run in Sam Roi Yot! Winds were crazy last night, and the temp was 17C/63F on the porch thermometer.

I'm loving it. In three months it's gonna be Texas hot.

• Like 1

The article is pretty far off on it's temperature. As we speak Wunderground has Chiang Rai at 9 degrees, and in my office as I type it is 7.

As a Canuck, you should find those temperatures quite comfortable, crack open the cold beers eh?rolleyes.gif

It's being done in Bangkok as you read this. wink.png

The article is pretty far off on it's temperature. As we speak Wunderground has Chiang Rai at 9 degrees, and in my office as I type it is 7.

It depends where the temp is taken, yes your area maybe colder than where the official temp. is taken doesn't mean article is far off.

My wife is saying it is cold in Bangkok right now, Monday we are travelling to England 1st time in 4 years for this Christmas festivities, she will know what cold is when we arrive in London! She will be in for more of a shock when we head up to the North East in the New Year & then onto Aberdeen!

I've got goose pimples and it's 20C at the moment.

Edited by Local Drunk

My wife is saying it is cold in Bangkok right now, Monday we are travelling to England 1st time in 4 years for this Christmas festivities, she will know what cold is when we arrive in London! She will be in for more of a shock when we head up to the North East in the New Year & then onto Aberdeen!

I've got goose pimples and it's 20C at the moment.

Share a few of those degrees, LD.....It was only 10C when I went out for the morning walk at 6am... barely any better now...maybe 12C... At least the wind has gone (atmospheric, not personal).

• Like 1

I'm setting in my room with the patio door wide open in my underwear love this cold weather but damn it only last a couple of months. The coldest I have ever been is outside Mae Hong Song at a Forest Monastary a few years ago 5 blankets and I am still shivering

Maybe their thermometer is in the sun and they only look at it when the sun is shining :)

Talk about relativity. A Brit would call 15 degrees a decent summer's day and head off to the seaside for a picnic. whistling.gif

A few years back the missus & I were about to land at Gatwick when the BA Captain

chimed in on the intercom and said..."Good morning ladies & gentlemen, we'll be

landing at Gatwick shortly.....more banter, then...The temprature is a crisp twelve

degrees Celcius outside of the terminal"

When we left BKK it was 35 degrees C.....now it was gonna be 12 C?! Froze me

buns I did! Mind you it was a beaut of a day...almost cloudless....but 12 C?!

It was September....and we were headed to Brighton to visit an old friend of

mine.

Edited by sunshine51

Every year it gets cold in the northern areas. Every year they are declared "disaster zones".

Every year blankets and survival kits are handed out and every year when it gets warmer the blankets are sold for a few baht.

Helps the economy no end.

My gran used to tell me, boy, keep your wrists,ankles, head warm and you will be warm. Here a poster pointed out that people wear plastic flip flops and have big overcoats on, this makes me believe they are Ting Tong.

No Hab money for warm, said the woman riding her motor bike with mobile on the ear, no cloves, crash hat. going out early morning to the market to buy noodle soup. Later she will get the local lottery ticket--(the up and down version) and sit on the bamboo table with 6 other village women before having the afternoon gamble.

How many village people do you see hanging washing out to dry on a line ??? never--slung over a bamboo or a bush to dry. and how many bed SHEETS/BLANKETS do you see washed. ?????

Come on rural people get thinking -it will soon be 2014.

The first death caused by the cold spell was recorded in Udon Thani's Muang district, where Chuchat Khongwicha, 51, from Nakhon Ratchasima, was found dead in a tent early yesterday. Doctors believe he died from the cold and rain as he had fallen asleep in the tent after getting drunk. The cold also claimed a 62-year-old in Phrae's Muang district yesterday.

I can't seem to believe this. I mean, hypothermia would need temperatures to be a lot colder than 18C before it could bring down the body core temperature enough to kill.

I totally get it, that Thais are acclimatized differently to us and feel the cold more, making it unpleasant, but lethal?... I don't think so.

I am acclimatized to the Thai weather and I found it unpleasantly chilly last night at 19C, a few years back in the UK, I would have been lying in the back garden soaking it up and contemplating a BBQ.

Edited by Nibbles48

Say hello to Doncaster area when passing through. have a good one, tell the wife to take her fur bottom nightie ??? H.Xmas, NY.

As a Canuck, you should find those temperatures quite comfortable, crack open the cold beers eh?rolleyes.gif

At my parent's place last week it was -45 and there was a meter of snow. But the difference is we have the clothes for it, and in reality we spend about as much time out n the cold as Thais do in the sunshine. The biggest difference is our houses and cars have heat.

• Like 1

It depends where the temp is taken, yes your area maybe colder than where the official temp. is taken doesn't mean article is far off.

The Op says Chiang Rai is at 19 when it was really below 10, that is all over the province, so yes the article is off. Why would anyone be worried about 19 degrees?