Male kindergarten teacher?

Wopanese

Hi, I am an American man in my forties. I received my TEFL certificate earlier this year and have been teaching at English camps and giving private lessons mostly. However, I been offered a full time job teaching kindergarten in Thailand. I would like to hear from male teachers who are either currently teaching kindergarten or who have done so in the past (as well as from female teacher who have an opinion about male kindergarten teachers). Being an uncle to kindergarten age kids, I like being around them. Should I give it a try or pass? Your input greatly appreciated, thanks.

We have a number of male KG teachers and by and large, they do OK. Female teachers are preferred and the students seem to learn a little easier and better from a female.

With KG students, much of it depends on the type of relationship that you build with them. Their need for approval from teachers is a greater motivating factor than with older kids. If they feel safe and secure with you, they will respond positively and you will have the foundation of a decent learning environment.

The overall environment depends a lot on the Thai teacher and her attitude toward the foreign teacher.

Is the position as a homeroom teacher or a subject teacher?

• Like 1

Give it a try, as you can always walk away, right?

An Ex-colleague, also American had to teach Anuban one and two without any teaching experience. Kids that age are even better in pronunciation than older kids.

It's important to know what and how to teach them ,as just singing- for example- the ABC song without them knowing the letters, when you point at them, isn't really helpful for all involved.

Then it's mostly up to phonetics. There're many programs and if I can help you out,please just page me.

All in all, it's a lot of fun, but also hard work. Games, songs and some dancing will keep you busy. Good luck!- wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 1

Go for it. The greatest thing I found about Kindergarten and early grades was their willingness to learn. Communication was less of a problem as their ability to imagine has not been totally wiped away from years of rote learning. However it did take nearly every ounce of my patience sometimes. It is easy to get them excited about a subject or word, or letter, or song.....getting them to calm down again was more difficult. Mid forties myself with two children of my own here so it helped but would certainly jump at the chance to teach at that level again.

All in all, it's a lot of fun, but also hard work

Very true. I taught KG1 for a couple of terms when I was 53 years old. Children at that young age have a very short attention span. If you do not change the class activity and keep their interest at least every 15 minutes, then some of them will literally fall asleep in front of you. So you need to be active and willing to sing, dance, play games, stand on your head etc.

Simon

• Like 1

All in all, it's a lot of fun, but also hard work

Very true. I taught KG1 for a couple of terms when I was 53 years old. Children at that young age have a very short attention span. If you do not change the class activity and keep their interest at least every 15 minutes, then some of them will literally fall asleep in front of you. So you need to be active and willing to sing, dance, play games, stand on your head etc.

Simon

We had to help out at our Anuban one and two kids, because this part was going to be inspected for the King's Award. It was really a hard time to "teach" them the lettesr from A-Z.

Then always the same problem. Does the last letter have a cee, or Zcet sound? I prefer the British version, as there's a difference to the third letter.

Yep, gotta make some good jokes, play THE clown, walking upside down, making fun of your own. The dancing part isn't that bad now, as it's freaking cold now.

A very difficult task, when left alone, without a Thai assistant. Try to tell them NOT to kick your bud....

But then, they usually have their lunch at 11.15 and then sleeping until the end. Yin and Yang.-w00t.gif

Edited by sirchai

I taught Kinder for 2 years. It takes a lot of energy and sometimes dealing with parents can be even more difficult. They want constant feedback. If you are new to teaching, I wouldn't recommend it. If you have been a single parent and raised your kids, then you will have a leg up. Do not mistake younger children with easier or less knowledge. I often think that schools should put their best teachers with the Kinders.

If your goal is just to fill the day with activities without a specific target goal with each lesson building up to an overall unit question, then anyone with energy can do it. If you have to actually know what you are doing and expected to have tangible results, then better to have more experience and training

Good luck with whatever you decide.

As a seasoned female kindergarten teacher in Thailand, most schools prefer female K teachers because of the mothering aspect, and females tend to have more patience with children if they've had children of their own. I found in Bangkok that high quality female farang K teachers are paid a higher salary than say those teaching primary or matium. Keeping these very young childrens attention is an on-going task and you need to have many tricks up your sleeve to be a quality teacher.

• Like 1

We have a number of male KG teachers and by and large, they do OK. Female teachers are preferred and the students seem to learn a little easier and better from a female.

With KG students, much of it depends on the type of relationship that you build with them. Their need for approval from teachers is a greater motivating factor than with older kids. If they feel safe and secure with you, they will respond positively and you will have the foundation of a decent learning environment.

The overall environment depends a lot on the Thai teacher and her attitude toward the foreign teacher.

Is the position as a homeroom teacher or a subject teacher?

Our (my wife and I's) private kindergarten school has only employed female teachers in the past, apart that is, from 2 male swimming teachers - who seem better at teaching children to learn how to swim than the female teachers we have employed.

...one can trace the social problems of Thailand back to a lack of male role models (in childrens immediate lives)...

....you would be doing Thai society a service.....

...there are enough feminine males in Thailand...and female kindergarten teachers does not help the cause...

• Like 1

If you like being around little kids then go for it.

I got my TEFL certificate many years ago after just arriving here and taught Anuban 2 and 3 for a couple of years but only a couple of times a week for an hour or two each time. At that time I was in my late 40's. Got on great with all the Thai teachers (mostly women) and enjoyed somewhat of a celebrity status at that school and with many of the parents.

It was a great experience. The kids are very receptive and not afraid to speak and are thrilled with their own expanding abilities.

I taught all other ages from 10 to 35 years old and found that in those cases even the competent students were very reluctant to speak or practice what they knew in theory.

Contrasted with the little kids who are not scared to speak or make mistakes. They love singing songs and playing games.

As much as I enjoyed it and will always treasure the memories, I would like to say that it was very tiring and I doubt that I could have kept up that level of performance as a full time classroom teacher which is an entirely different level of responsibility.

...one can trace the social problems of Thailand back to a lack of male role models (in childrens immediate lives)...

....you would be doing Thai society a service.....

...there are enough feminine males in Thailand...and female kindergarten teachers does not help the cause...

This is a bigoted and sexist posting that should be retracted.......'enough feminine males'!!! just what is that supposed to mean?

Teaching kindergarten takes a lot of energy and empathy. You follow and create opportunities, more than lead and expect them to follow. Have to teach not instruct. Taught one year and found that once you bonded and were sincere in keeping that bond intact they brought in amazingly. The home room teachers need to be involved and have to support what you are doing. In my case the relationship between the homeroom teacher and myself meant that we supported and reviewed each other's material so the student had a consistent familiar learning experience .Had one day a week per class and the kids were doing better than schools with five classes a week.

I am a 56 year-old male kindergarten teacher. I have been teaching for 23 years -- everything from grade 4 to first year university and adult education, but until this year, never kindergarten (early years). I always tipped my hat to early years teachers because I never thought I would be able to cope with kids that young. What a surprise I am getting. I love it! Five-year-olds are amazing little creatures. Their minds are open for learning and they want to know about the world. They have very short attention spans and, as another responder said, your have to be able to move from one activity to another: to sing to dance to laugh to be a kid again. They love to play and play is how they learn. I never thought that very young kids could be such interesting creatures. They tell it as it is and are open to learning. I love my morning coffee and shortly after having a cup, one of my students casually told me that my breath "stinks". Would adults be so honest? You have to slow things down considerably when you teach and be sure to model everything you want them to do, slowly and carefully. Model it thoroughly. Don't be discouraged if they don't get it the first or second time. Be persistent and patient and they will surprise you. Don't be afraid to say no, or to tell them that they are not doing their best. They will respect you for it. At the same time make sure you know what each child's best is. It is not the same for everyone. Most important, have fun with them, play with them laugh with them and have high (but realistic) expectations of them. My kindergarteners are reminding me what life and learning and fun is all about. I am so glad that I took the risk to teach kindergarten.

• Like 1

Give it a try, as you can always walk away, right?

An Ex-colleague, also American had to teach Anuban one and two without any teaching experience. Kids that age are even better in pronunciation than older kids.

It's important to know what and how to teach them ,as just singing- for example- the ABC song without them knowing the letters, when you point at them, isn't really helpful for all involved.

Then it's mostly up to phonetics. There're many programs and if I can help you out,please just page me.

All in all, it's a lot of fun, but also hard work. Games, songs and some dancing will keep you busy. Good luck!- wai2.gif

No one should be teaching phonetics to kindergarten children. Maybe you are confused with phonics.

I am currently teaching Kindergarten and Pratom 2. I LOVE IT!! It beats teaching most High School/Mathayom students. As far as I know you will not be a homeroom teacher. You will just teach them consistently. Try it. I did and now I will not apply for High School positions again.

I know a lot of male KG teachers who love teaching KG and they are good at it. We have a few that will not teach anything other than KG.

It's worth a try. I have taught them, but was always reluctant, but within a few lessons they always captured my heart.

I taught kinder for 6 months last year at my previous job in Khon Kan during the first class of each morning Mon - Fri. In my own opinion I believe this level of children will be the most difficult compared to kids in primary. you'd think being able to speak Thai would make my job easier, instead teachers expected more from me. A few parents complained because their kids weren't able to say the alphabet in English :(

I am a 56 year-old male kindergarten teacher. I have been teaching for 23 years -- everything from grade 4 to first year university and adult education, but until this year, never kindergarten (early years). I always tipped my hat to early years teachers because I never thought I would be able to cope with kids that young. What a surprise I am getting. I love it! Five-year-olds are amazing little creatures. Their minds are open for learning and they want to know about the world. They have very short attention spans and, as another responder said, your have to be able to move from one activity to another: to sing to dance to laugh to be a kid again. They love to play and play is how they learn. I never thought that very young kids could be such interesting creatures. They tell it as it is and are open to learning. I love my morning coffee and shortly after having a cup, one of my students casually told me that my breath "stinks". Would adults be so honest? You have to slow things down considerably when you teach and be sure to model everything you want them to do, slowly and carefully. Model it thoroughly. Don't be discouraged if they don't get it the first or second time. Be persistent and patient and they will surprise you. Don't be afraid to say no, or to tell them that they are not doing their best. They will respect you for it. At the same time make sure you know what each child's best is. It is not the same for everyone. Most important, have fun with them, play with them laugh with them and have high (but realistic) expectations of them. My kindergarteners are reminding me what life and learning and fun is all about. I am so glad that I took the risk to teach kindergarten.

I envy your charisma! w0w...

• Like 1

I think we've had enough fun with 'route' and 'rote'.

KG parents are amongst the hardest to deal with. Most parents are pretty sure that their little genius is the next Madame Currie or Somchai Einstein.

They are intensely interested in their child's education and when you combine that with the tendency of Thai schools to make everything the teacher's fault, it can be a challenging experience.

Even at it's worst, it is rewarding.

There is a male kindergarten teacher at my wife's school. American chap, early 30s, does really well. There is a distinct lack of male influence in children's upbringing round here and it is MUCH needed. I often visit my wife's class (our girl is in the year below as well) and the boys seem to really thrive on the visit showing me cars, dinosaurs, etc They distinctly need male role-models....so go and do it!