Male kindergarten teacher?

Wopanese

Give it a try, as you can always walk away, right?

An Ex-colleague, also American had to teach Anuban one and two without any teaching experience. Kids that age are even better in pronunciation than older kids.

It's important to know what and how to teach them ,as just singing- for example- the ABC song without them knowing the letters, when you point at them, isn't really helpful for all involved.

Then it's mostly up to phonetics. There're many programs and if I can help you out,please just page me.

All in all, it's a lot of fun, but also hard work. Games, songs and some dancing will keep you busy. Good luck!- wai2.gif

No one should be teaching phonetics to kindergarten children. Maybe you are confused with phonics.

I wrote that it's mostly up to phonetics, which is the study of speech sounds. I never said to teach them phonetics. Ever thought where phonics comes from?

Might be a good advice to teach them kiwiphonetic phonics. If you need programs to upgrade your reading skills, feel free to page me.-wai2.gif

As a parent with a daughter at Kindergarten here's my two bobs worth.

We've had female and male teachers. Females have been English, Russian, and American. Males have been English and American.

I always got the impression from the women that they felt as though they were child minders. Interest in the academic side seemed second to behavioural and social aspects of the child's education. They (the teachers) also seemed rather bored and not very animated or interested in the children, nor in giving feedback.

The males seem much more lively and interested in the academic side while not ignoring the other aspects. Personally I believe the male teachers are doing a better job although initially I had reservations about them as a group - can't really explain why.

I'm not saying my experience is industry wide, but just my experience at one school.

Edited by Gsxrnz
  • Like 1

I taught Kinder for 2 years. It takes a lot of energy and sometimes dealing with parents can be even more difficult. They want constant feedback. If you are new to teaching, I wouldn't recommend it. If you have been a single parent and raised your kids, then you will have a leg up. Do not mistake younger children with easier or less knowledge. I often think that schools should put their best teachers with the Kinders.

If your goal is just to fill the day with activities without a specific target goal with each lesson building up to an overall unit question, then anyone with energy can do it. If you have to actually know what you are doing and expected to have tangible results, then better to have more experience and training

Good luck with whatever you decide.

You wouldn't recommend it if he's not an experienced teacher? There're so many people with the ability to teach and those who'll never be able to do so.

I'd assume that you haven't had teaching experience when you started teaching.

I've met guys who were new to teaching and did a fantastic job teaching Kindergarten.

As I'd already mentioned, the OP should give it a try. Some people neither need a hell lot of experience, nor own kids to do a good job.-wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai

We've had female and male teachers. Females have been English, Russian, and American. Males have been English and American.

I always got the impression from the women that they felt as though they were child minders. Interest in the academic side seemed second to behavioural and social aspects of the child's education. They (the teachers) also seemed rather bored and not very animated or interested in the children, nor in giving feedback.

The males seem much more lively and interested in the academic side while not ignoring the other aspects. Personally I believe the male teachers are doing a better job although initially I had reservations about them as a group - can't really explain why.

I'm not saying my experience is industry wide, but just my experience at one school.

Interesting post. My experience has been similar, but it seems that the children learn slightly better from a female teacher (a whole lot of individual barriers to consider, though). In general, the male teachers are a little better at getting the kids focused -- a sort of male, stricter, discipline-type manner perhaps.

The kids do enjoy making their teachers happy and they are particularly looking from approval from male teachers and there is less misbehavior, from my experience.

I take care of a number of schools and will try to gather a little more concrete and verifiable information, although it still won't be representative of all male vs. female teachers.

Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

Interesting post. My experience has been similar, but it seems that the children learn slightly better from a female teacher (a whole lot of individual barriers to consider, though). In general, the male teachers are a little better at getting the kids focused -- a sort of male, stricter, discipline-type manner perhaps.

The kids do enjoy making their teachers happy and they are particularly looking from approval from male teachers and there is less misbehavior, from my experience.

I take care of a number of schools and will try to gather a little more concrete and verifiable information, although it still won't be representative of all male vs. female teachers.

Thanks for sharing.

Been thinking more about it since I posted.

Although the female teachers were in their late 20's to late 30's, it did seem that they were on their OE and the job may have just been for a 6 month stint so they could live in Thailand before continuing on. This is based on several discussions with them - not in detail, but that's the impression I got.

The males seem to be here for a reason. Two of them have had Thai wives and Thailand is there home. They have been a little older, mid 30's to early 50's. Perhaps the age and living circumstances makes a difference.

Maybe it's less male v. female, but more about their current place in life, and their aspirations for the short and long term future being quite different.

Don't be in a situation where you are alone with the kids though, and NEVER with an individual child.

If someone doesn't like you, what easier way...................?

While Thailand may not be as PC as the west, they also don't like kiddie fiddlers.

When I started nursing, I staffed on a paediatric ward, but I'd never consider it now, and it's probably why there are very few male teachers in the west now.

Don't be in a situation where you are alone with the kids though

Well,unless there is CCTV in the classroom or the constant presence of a female teaching assistant, then that situation is hard to attain, (although I understand where you are coming from).

When I've taught KG, I have been usually on my own, albeit with a small class of about 18 kids. (Any more than 20 KG kids and teaching alone would be a challenge).

But this was in Myanmar, and Myanmar women only rate a 4 on the scale of deranged jealousy of men/ex-BF etc, unlike Thailand, where I estimate the rate to be about 9 out of 10.

and it's probably why there are very few male teachers in the west now.

Teaching KG and primary grades has often been viewed as a low paid, low-esteem job for women, and aspiring male teachers can also be scared off by the potential stigma/suspicion of their motives.

As a mature (old git), and male primary teacher, I have been welcomed by my young students and their parents, as well as female teachers and teaching assistants at the school. By age, being closer to the end of a teaching career rather than at the start, I couldn't give a flying fig what people say about me behind my back. I enjoy teaching primary/KG - wider range of subjects to teach than being a high school single-subject teacher, quicker to mark the homework than for high school students!)..

I have found the only obstacle in teaching KG at my age is that you need high energy levels and be extrovert enough to dance and sing.

Simon

Edited by simon43

IMHO there are a small number of roles where a good NES teacher can genuinely add value, but KG teaching is not one. I think the issue of gender is largely irrelevant.

I notice that one poster (with a lot of experience apparently) was appreciative of a KG pupil telling him his breath "stinks" ; I assume he's talking about his experience back in his home country, as a Thai KG pupil would not know that kind of word or sentence in English. Being a KG teacher with kids whose 1st language and culture are the same as the teacher's is one thing, and a comparatively simple thing. But a KG teacher who cannot understand the pupil's 1st language is at a distinct disadvantage; a simple and frequent KG scenario - a pupil wants to pee; that's also a good example of why gender is not entirely irrelevant. And please don't say a Thai interpreter should be employed for a farang KG teacher!

I agree with the numerous contributors who have commented on the challenge of KG teaching - the emotional demands, and the requirement for patience, are usually much higher than with other groups.

Edited by bundoi

Don't be in a situation where you are alone with the kids though

Well,unless there is CCTV in the classroom or the constant presence of a female teaching assistant, then that situation is hard to attain, (although I understand where you are coming from).

When I've taught KG, I have been usually on my own, albeit with a small class of about 18 kids. (Any more than 20 KG kids and teaching alone would be a challenge).

But this was in Myanmar, and Myanmar women only rate a 4 on the scale of deranged jealousy of men/ex-BF etc, unlike Thailand, where I estimate the rate to be about 9 out of 10.

and it's probably why there are very few male teachers in the west now.

Teaching KG and primary grades has often been viewed as a low paid, low-esteem job for women, and aspiring male teachers can also be scared off by the potential stigma/suspicion of their motives.

As a mature (old git), and male primary teacher, I have been welcomed by my young students and their parents, as well as female teachers and teaching assistants at the school. By age, being closer to the end of a teaching career rather than at the start, I couldn't give a flying fig what people say about me behind my back. I enjoy teaching primary/KG - wider range of subjects to teach than being a high school single-subject teacher, quicker to mark the homework than for high school students!)..

I have found the only obstacle in teaching KG at my age is that you need high energy levels and be extrovert enough to dance and sing.

Simon

<aspiring male teachers can also be scared off by the potential stigma/suspicion of their motives>

Absolutely. In my country, males are automatically assumed to be aspiring sexual offenders. I was told by a friend not to even consider travelling around the country as a life style, as it would arouse suspicions as to my motives.

However, when I read about a male that wanted to be a midwife, I too considered his motives to be suspect. Even though I did enjoy my maternity work as part of obtaining my nurse registration, there is no way I'd have wanted to do it full time for the implications it would bring.

By the time I retired, there was no way I'd even be alone in a room with a female patient and the door closed, such was my worry about the risk of being falsly accused by some man hating woman.

We had a very, very good male KG teacher. The students loved him dearly, but when he started his 2nd year, the parents got concerned about why he would stay and he had to be transferred to a higher level.

KG students are pretty easy to understand without even knowing the words. When they are standing with their hands on their crotch, you can rest assured they need to go to the toilet and it's probably best to let them go right away.

I never spoke Thai to them, but they sometimes spoke Thai (or KG version of sign language) and I would answer them in English. They learn very, very quickly and it didn't take long for them to start using the word 'toilet' when they had to go.

a simple and frequent KG scenario - a pupil wants to pee; that's also a good example of why gender is not entirely irrelevant

If I understand you correctly, you are suggesting that such a scenario requires a female teacher to intercede.

Why?

Is it beyond the abilities of a male to take a child to the toilet? Why should such an act be considered OK for a woman and not for a man?

I'm not actually suggesting that male teachers have to fulfill these 'caretaking' roles, but it's more a general comment on how being a male KG teacher still attracts suspicion and how paranoid people can be about men.

In my previous KG employment in Myanmar, I was required to take the kids to the toilet if there was no assistant to help. As the father of 4 kids, I and nobody else never gave it a second's thought. It was part of my responsibility as Homeroom teacher.

Simon

IMHO there are a small number of roles where a good NES teacher can genuinely add value, but KG teaching is not one. I think the issue of gender is largely irrelevant.

I notice that one poster (with a lot of experience apparently) was appreciative of a KG pupil telling him his breath "stinks" ; I assume he's talking about his experience back in his home country, as a Thai KG pupil would not know that kind of word or sentence in English. Being a KG teacher with kids whose 1st language and culture are the same as the teacher's is one thing, and a comparatively simple thing. But a KG teacher who cannot understand the pupil's 1st language is at a distinct disadvantage; a simple and frequent KG scenario - a pupil wants to pee; that's also a good example of why gender is not entirely irrelevant. And please don't say a Thai interpreter should be employed for a farang KG teacher!

I agree with the numerous contributors who have commented on the challenge of KG teaching - the emotional demands, and the requirement for patience, are usually much higher than with other groups.

I've never taught kindergarten but I'd say that at that age a NES can make the MOST difference to a child's English. In addition to the usual benefits, the following would probably also apply:

1/ Teaching the children to enjoy English and to not be afraid of speaking.

2/ Correct pronunciation right from a, b, c.

Understanding body language is usually easy and if you don't, the other students should be able to tell you (Alternatively learning a few common Thai phrases really isn't difficult).

As with every level of teaching though, you'd find it significantly easier after a couple of years experience in Thailand.

Most of my students suffer from not having learnt the fundamentals of English in Kindergarten/Primary school. 95% don't understand what's in their high school text books because they didn't have competent English teachers in kindergarten/Primary school. I'd love to see the effect a NES kindergarten teacher, followed a NES primary school teacher would have on students.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have been teaching kinder 1-3 for the last 4 years at the same school. I enjoy it very much. It does take a lot of work, but it is very rewarding when the little ones start speaking back to you in English. As for the going to the toilet situation, kinder 2 and 3 go by themselves and kinder 1 go by themselves and if assistance is needed there is a Thai teachers assistant in the classroom. It's not for everyone. You have to really enjoy being on the floor and making animals noises or running around the room acting like an animal. LOL

Edited by ThaiRich

being in a room alone with any student (k-12) is not very wise. At least have your door open.

Any professional male being alone with a female of any age in a room with the door closed these days allows for accusations ( even if untrue ) of improper conduct.

This would have only applied in the overly PC west a few years back, but even in Thailand now, one has to be careful, as they become more westernised.

As a male nurse in London, it was becoming quite difficult in my last years of work to always be safe re females accusing me falsly, so in some respects it was a relief to be able to retire.

I did it a few times here - great fun and at that age kids are so funny and happy and easy to get interested its a pleasure. Really rewarding when a whole class of 2 to 5 year olds are hugging you at the end of a lesson. The English is easy too, that is not so complex, so it is easy to build games around without any real need for lectures. Great fun like I said, but utterly exhausting. I knew someone that had been a teacher in the UK, then came here and taught. He got asked to help with KG during an absence and never looked back. Lost touch with him now or would have got him to respond.

I guess you have never taught KG here??? There is always a Thai teacher/teaching assistant. Invariably female. Older KG can go to the toilet themselves (often in pairs or obvious reasons), but younger ones or ones that need it, the assistant takes them. It is not just for the foreign teachers, the assistant is there for the Thai teacher also. NES is MOST valuable at this stage as this is when the ability to place the tongue and lips and shape the mouth is trained - this is when they can learn to difference between 'f' and 'th', 't' and 'd', 'sh', 'ch', 's' and 'z' and so on. It is easier to teach a puppy from the start than retrain an adult dog, the same is true with human. "Give me a child for the first seven years, and I'll give you the man".