Villa Market real Christmas trees: 9,900 Baht only

george

9,900 THB for a real Christmas tree?  

108 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I was there 4-5 Dec and saw some Thais bought 1 to 4 trees, probably sold out already.

After visiting that place once at Mega Bangna I'm assuming these Thais had been there since last Christmas and were still trying to find the bloody exit.

IKEA did them for 2000 Baht and then if you brought the tree back after it was dead they would dispose of it and give you 1000 Baht back in store credit.

I got one last year but then the word got around and this year they sold out within the first week.

Hopefully they will get more for next year.

sob.png

Have they got any Jaffa Cakes? Christmas Morning isn't right without Jaffa Cakes....

That depends on where you come from...

For me classic Panettone is the best, though I'm not Italian...

BTW they are selling them in BKK at circa 500Bt per kg. Genuine stuff...

You do know what a Jaffa cake is don't you ?

I do and i still eat them the same way since i was a kid,,, bite around the circle of orange on the top and then peel the orange off and eat separately,,, oh the little things.. anyone who doesn't know what they are will probably be no clearer.

Brings back some memories.

I bought a fake tree at Central World for about 300 baht. When I lived in the states I bought my real tree from a farm where they cut them down on site, have fresh apple cider, homemade donuts and pie and Santa Clause for the kids and it cost me around 1000 baht for 7ft Douglas Fir.

That price is absurd. My g/f went to a local plant nursery here in Bang Saray and paid 500 baht for a very nice 1.5 meter tall evergreen, live potted, Christmas tree and it's looks very beautiful in our home with blinking multi-colored lights and other decorations.

After the holidays we'll plant it in our yard.

Last real one I can remember buying was about 7/6d. Then again that was a long time ago when the English pound was still made up from shillings and pence so I could be slightly out of date!

On Chatuchak market i saw loads of conifer tree's for sale, also big ones and i bet they are much cheaper. They even have a rootball so can be planted out.

But the Thai seem to have something with christmas and especially the christmaslights..Here they are all over our moobaan, from november untill march! Also many houses have christmas decoration all over, with happy new year flags and glitters and they also leave it untill februari/march.

One of my (thai) neighbours had a decorated christmastree in his garden and that thing played christmassongs like jingle-bells, pretty loud it drove me crazy last year.

We have some christian Thai friends that have to work at christmas! Can you imagine that in the West? (They work in an office so not in a restaurant or so) Here they go to the church on christmasevening and that's all. This year we will have a christmasparty in our house for many thai friends, for fun i will ask the christians if they know who jesus was and where he was born.

But i bet Villa market will sell them tree's. I always am amazed about the strange imported products that they sell there. Fruit/vegy from all over the world and from the most strange country's that have to grow that in greenhouses. They have big stocks of it and keep it all in the fridges while the common vegy's have to be out of the chilled department and are rotting away.

Some guy wrote here Thailand is a 3rd world country, well he should come with me to some area's in BKK and that will change his mind. Loads of big new cars, more then in Europe and the top-restaurants in that area are always full and have a long que waiting (top japanese restaurant). On the parking you see loads of big new german cars and also many very exclusive brand cars. Houses go from 20-50 million and there are loads of those villaparks.

It might look weird if you stay outside BKK but Thailand is not poor, not all over the country at least. Some people make a huge income here, i know some that make 1 million a day and do nothing illegal and are very respected. They have farang clients who come here for surgery and i don't see anything wrong about that. For them a christmastree from 10.000 baht is peanuts.

They will send the mates to pick it up and decorate it. Did you see the christmas decoration department in Central

chidlom? Have a look there yourself then you know what i mean.

That price is absurd. My g/f went to a local plant nursery here in Bang Saray and paid 500 baht for a very nice 1.5 meter tall evergreen, live potted, Christmas tree and it's looks very beautiful in our home with blinking multi-colored lights and other decorations.

After the holidays we'll plant it in our yard.

Can you tell me where that plant nursery is? I am in the area and would like a real tree for 500 baht, even if it doesn't survive the heat later in the year after planting out. If it does, it will make a change from these infernal banana trees!

IKEA did them for 2000 Baht and then if you brought the tree back after it was dead they would dispose of it and give you 1000 Baht back in store credit.

I got one last year but then the word got around and this year they sold out within the first week.

Hopefully they will get more for next year.

sob.png

I got one last year from Ikea - great deal; especially with the return credit scheme.

This year they seem to have sold out in record time.

I'm sure that's not because some buyers bought them up to sell in their own shops at greatly marked up prices! I wonder how many 'unused' trees get returned to Ikea this year?