NY Times brands current protests in Thailand undemocratic movement

webfact

NY Times brands current protests in Thailand undemocratic movement

BANGKOK, 19 December 2013 (NNT) – The New York Times, a world-renowned American newspaper, has released an analysis of the Thai political situation, claiming the anti-government protesters are pushing for less democracy.

Thomas Fuller, a New York Times journalist who has been covering the anti-government demonstrations in Thailand, recently published his report entitled “In Thailand, Standing Up for Less Democracy”.

He pointed out that although Thailand was one of the first countries in Asia to adopt the democratic system, the latest movement was geared against democratic principles.

The reporter elaborated that protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban had called for the establishment of a people’s council and expressed rejection of the new election after the Yingluck Shinawatra administration agreed to dissolve Parliament and return the power to the people.

The analysis concluded that the protests led by Mr Suthep were an obstruction to the democratic system and their motive was contradictory to Thailand’s image as an open, modernized country.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-12-19 footer_n.gif

• Like 2

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps considering how the U.S.A. likes to view democracy and their interpretation of other nations culture and political behavior the comments made by the N.Y.Times are best treated with contempt . We are all well aware of the truth surrounding the ''hidden Iraq weapons aren't we?

Consider the history of the U.S.A. and its treatment of the native Americans the imported negro slave assorted anti war demonstrations totally democratic actions involved and used all the way by the American government and its police, para military and military forces.

• Like 2

They must be paid by Thaksin.

Really? You got any proof of that? Why is it that when someone has an alternate opinion to anti-government folks they're automatically associated with Thaksin? You don't think that there's even a slight possibility this person came to this conclusion them self drawing from what they've observed? God I am so sick of all this conjecture and conspiracy theories being brought up anytime someone disagrees with your point of view.

You don't think that there's even a slight possibility this person came to this conclusion them self drawing from what they've observed?

They must have been wearing blinkers or something! The NY Times ain't the paper it used to be.

Perhaps considering how the U.S.A. likes to view democracy and their interpretation of other nations culture and political behavior the comments made by the N.Y.Times are best treated with contempt . We are all well aware of the truth surrounding the ''hidden Iraq weapons aren't we?

Consider the history of the U.S.A. and its treatment of the native Americans the imported negro slave assorted anti war demonstrations totally democratic actions involved and used all the way by the American government and its police, para military and military forces.

I rather enjoy the dichotomy of world option about America.

No worries though. Soon enough, America will go the way of the UK, where they will have to keep to themselves. Taking a stand on some event may require physical follow up action, which they won't be able to afford. I'm sure other less hypocritical, more democratic nations will be all too happy to fill the void.

Really? You got any proof of that? Why is it that when someone has an alternate opinion to anti-government folks they're automatically associated with Thaksin? You don't think that there's even a slight possibility this person came to this conclusion them self drawing from what they've observed? God I am so sick of all this conjecture and conspiracy theories being brought up anytime someone disagrees with your point of view.

Sorry about that. I thought it was pretty obvious that I was being sarcastic, but I guess not enough.

There is so many WHACK JOBS on here that blame everything on Mr T that your post came over as one of those and not as you meant it :)

all good.

• Like 1

Well I can't say as it was an article worthy of the New York times. Unless they have dropped to the same level of the Nation.

He made accusations without giving the other side of the story. He failed to mention the council was to be set up to protect Thailand from further corruption especially in the election system. He failed to note that even with the reigning in of the corruption the PTP would still probably win the election that he failed to mention they were going to have.

It played very well to a closed mind. A mind unwilling to look at the entire situation. According to the Election Committee it might be legal to put the election off for two years. If that is legal where is the harm. Has the PTP any particular reason to fight the investigation that the opposition is willing to under go.

The real trick will be who will be on the panel and in my opinion Suthep and Yingluck should not be allowed near it except to make explanations. What is the rush. The PTP took there time taking Thailand 14 spots lower in the world corruption ratings why the rush?

Ah I see they are in a hurry to get back to the trough. More countries to pass on their way down.

In short he wrote a article one would expect in the Nation.

• Like 2