The thai girl Im seeing at the moment sometimes calls me 'daddy'

advancebooking

Two things to clarify before this general topic proceeds:

1. Im am not a 60 yr old guy with a 20 yr old girl.

2. She is not calling me that when we are bed- that would be weird.

I am in my early 40's and my current thai girl is 27. This age gap according to many psychological studies is ideal- these studies stipulate that a man should half his age and add 7 years for the optimum aged partner.

She is highly educated and her family are middle to upper class.

The first time she called me 'daddy' I was wondering if I should run for the hills but have since learnt from another source that I have to understand that thai women appreciate the man taking on several roles in the relationship... her husband or partner has to be her lover, father, friend etc. Also, a good thai girl takes care of her man as though he were a child, yet loves him to dote on her like a father.

Does anybody relate to this? Have your lady ever called you 'daddy'. Or should I go and buy a new pair of Nike trainers and start running up a hill?

First of all there is nothing scientific or similar about these "studies", secondly the half your age plus 7 years rule is not referring to the optimal age gap but the maximum age gap for a healthy relationship.

Having said that, I think any age gap is perfectly fine and that the mentioned "studies" are made by and for people with nothing better to do.

Btw, my thai gf is a rocket scientist from the Singha family :-)

I like it a lot (very much) . I'm her daddy is great, especially if I could get 10 every day!

This age gap according to many psychological studies is ideal- these studies stipulate that a man should half his age and add 7 years for the optimum aged partner.

Looks like I should be trading my wife in for something younger

62 divide by 2 plus 7 = 38. Mine's 18 yrs too old

• Like 1

This age gap according to many psychological studies is ideal- these studies stipulate that a man should half his age and add 7 years for the optimum aged partner.

So... when you are a 47 woman , according to these studies the best for you is a man in his 80's..

???????????????

that doesn't work all the time..... it does now I'm nearly 62 and she is 37....but what about before..when I was 50 and she was 25?

they say a man of 61 should have a girl of 16...but my times up for that one..lol

Without knowing age and status Thais are unsure how to properly address others. Once they know, age determined titles are used all the time. Brother, sister, mother, daddy, uncle or grandfather do not bear the negative connotations they might in the West.
It is quite common for couples to refer to each other as mommy or daddy. My wife and I do it all the time. It started by playing with our dog, asking her “Where is mommy?” or “Go find daddy.” I assume parent with real children do the same thing. The word association begins to stick after a while.
We know several couples where the husband is much older and referred to as uncle, without sounding derogatory or out of place. It is simply common practice for couples to have pet names for their partners and in Thailand “daddy” is one cute option.
Believe it or not, love, caring and humor is more often the motivation behind the things a paranoid few read as sinister, at best. Until one understands things, it is best not to overreact and assume the worst all the time.

villagefarang has it exactly right, my wife calls me daddy all the time. She is a very smart uneducated village girl from a poor lower middle class family (shopkeepers) and I am old enough to be her father, but that has nothing to do with it. When she meets another Thai lady for the first time she has to assess whether she is older or younger so she knows how to address her as 'aunty' or 'sister'

• Like 1

I am in my early 40's and my current thai girl is 27. This age gap according to many psychological studies is ideal- these studies stipulate that a man should half his age and add 7 years for the optimum aged partner

1. the studies u cite are shit.

2. you know she is too young for you as her call her a GIRL

• Like 2

psychological studies seldom reflect truly on real life....I'm 14 days older than my missus and when I leave what is known in polite circles as a 'skidder'' in the bog, or I ''performance fart'' in front of her pals.... that age gap counts for nowt when she begins to explain to me the error of my ways....

Edited by HeavyDrinker
  • Like 1

1. Im am not a 60 yr old guy with a 20 yr old girl.

newsflash mate, you are.

you think a girl in her 20s wants a bf in his 40s unless he is providing money/security?

lol

you are basically a sugar daddy no different from your example in point 1.

I am in my early 40's and my current thai girl is 27. This age gap according to many psychological studies is ideal- these studies stipulate that a man should half his age and add 7 years for the optimum aged partner

A psychologist who holds a PHD and spent 4 years in the study should know more than a barfly sitting on a bar stool. What do you think Oogster8

A psychologist who holds a PHD and spent 4 years in the study should know more than a barfly sitting on a bar stool. What do you think Oogster8

And this psychologist based his study on couples probably of the same culture..not a place like Thailand with all it's unique " features".

Any father would be horrified in the west if a daughter of 27 turned up with a guy in his mid 40's, nearly 20 years her senior..here mentally and experiences 30 years! So it's different here!

To quote Mr8.."it's <deleted>"..

I see nothing wrong with a barfly who probably observes more and mixes with those Thais who are attracted to westerners in the main.

My daughter is dating a 25 year old tosser (Thai) she is 21..that is reasonable (just)..

Without knowing age and status Thais are unsure how to properly address others. Once they know, age determined titles are used all the time. Brother, sister, mother, daddy, uncle or grandfather do not bear the negative connotations they might in the West.
It is quite common for couples to refer to each other as mommy or daddy. My wife and I do it all the time. It started by playing with our dog, asking her “Where is mommy?” or “Go find daddy.” I assume parent with real children do the same thing. The word association begins to stick after a while.
We know several couples where the husband is much older and referred to as uncle, without sounding derogatory or out of place. It is simply common practice for couples to have pet names for their partners and in Thailand “daddy” is one cute option.
Believe it or not, love, caring and humor is more often the motivation behind the things a paranoid few read as sinister, at best. Until one understands things, it is best not to overreact and assume the worst all the time.

Very good answer thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Very good answer thumbsup.gif

Of course it's a good answer.

It is the way the op stated all the other crap around it.

It's been a fun thread..

• Like 1

If she's highly educated I doubt if she would call you daddy.

Get her transcripts out. wink.png

she has Dr in front of her first name. Does that count?

Dont confuse emotional / intellectual maturity with climbing the Thai academic ladder (rote learning non critical thinking nationalism) exceptions duly noted

Edited by atyclb
  • Like 1

have since learnt from another source that I have to understand that thai women appreciate the man taking on several roles in the relationship... her husband or partner has to be her lover, father, friend etc.

This thread caught my eye because I was called that too. But only once so far. I've been seeing this girl for about two months and it was about 2 weeks ago she called me that. Her explanation was it was because I took care of her.

Your "other source" could be right.

psychological studies is ideal- these studies stipulate that a man should half his age and add 7 years for the optimum aged partner.

BTW .. 54 me/33 her ... OMG! She's one year younger than the "acceptable range"! I'm a pervert!

ANY girl in Asia is considered over the hill at 25 and no Asian man will go near them anyway,most farangs are doing them a favour by being with them!

And this psychologist based his study on couples probably of the same culture..not a place like Thailand with all it's unique " features".

Actually Thailand has a long history of women marrying older men. So you're right. We have to alter the formula from "Half the age +7" To "Two Thirds the age +5"

Tell yourself early forties and late twenties is ideal if it makes you feel better.

My wife's sister is 27,her parents would disown her if she had a man in his forties.

I'm not saying it's wrong but I do believe ideal is kinda closer together,of coarse this is Thailand and few will agree.

Tell yourself early forties and late twenties is ideal if it makes you feel better. My wife's sister is 27,her parents would disown her if she had a man in his forties. I'm not saying it's wrong but I do believe ideal is kinda closer together,of coarse this is Thailand and few will agree.

My wife's best friend's father is 58 and he has a mia noi who is 24. My wife's best friend tried to disown him but since he is the dad with the house and cars and all the cash it didn't work out so well.