Husband on a Type O but needs to switch to Type B

Hello! My husband (US citizen/23 yrs old) entered Thailand on a 90-day, single-entry Type O visa to take a CELTA course. He's now got a job, and his employer is supposed to be taking care of his Work Permit/Visa but apparently won't be able to get it done in time. They say that my husband needs to leave the country, go to a Thai embassy, and get a 60 day tourist visa before they can switch his visa to a Type B. I have never heard of this requirement (visiting an embassy) before. I asked if he can't just do the regular 30-day run, but apparently they STILL won't have his work permit ready by the time his visa will be up again. He has to do this run before Dec 30th, so we're on a time crunch, and his work is being un-helpful.

So, I have a few questions:

1. Where should he go (Laos, Cambodia, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Malaysia...)?

2. How much will the visa cost?

3. Does he need to make an appointment with the Thai embassy, or can he just show up?

4. Does this seem weird to you, and do you think he can just get away with doing two 30-day extensions?

5. If he can get away with 30-day extensions, can he do those via land or must he fly?

Stressing out because we didn't expect this expense! Argh!

Go to Vientiane Laos. Entry to Laos is 1,500 baht, Thai tourist visa is 1,000 baht. He will need to hand in his application in the morning and pick it up the following day after 12pm(noon). Hotels will cost between 500 - 800 baht for the night. Food prices are about the same as Thailand. All together I think 8,000 baht is a good amount to take to cover all costs to be safe including taxi's and buses.

Hello,

For

1. Where should he go (Laos, Cambodia, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Malaysia...)?

------------> Any nearest, depend on where he is living/working?

2. How much will the visa cost?

-------------> Tourist visa will cost 1000 THB, Non-imm "B" will cost 2000 THB,

3. Does he need to make an appointment with the Thai embassy, or can he just show up?

-------------> No, just go there and apply, usually for Thai visa you need to apply e.g. today morning, and collect tomorrow,

4. Does this seem weird to you, and do you think he can just get away with doing two 30-day extensions?

--------------> I used t apply and run many types of visas, I do sugget (in case his employer is going to issue work permit, he may get a 30 days extention till the papers are ready to go out and apply the B visa, because if he going to apply for turist visa, he needs to go out again and aply for "B" visa to get the work permit issued,

5. If he can get away with 30-day extensions, can he do those via land or must he fly?

-------------> the 30 days extention will be from the immigration office right? or border run? however, to go apply a via from Thai ebassy, it dosen't require that must fly or travel by land (as far as I know)

Wish youa all the best

Stressing out because we didn't expect this expense! Argh!