PDRC and its relationship with the Thai military top brass

webfact

PDRC and its relationship with the military top brass

30222560-01_big.gif
Sakoltee

BANGKOK: -- People's Democratic Reform Committee member Sakoltee Phattiyakul talks to The Nation's Kornchanok Raksaseri about the military's relationship with the PDRC and its role in Thai politics. Here is an excerpt:

Is it true that the PDRC has a close relationship with the top brass?

Some of us have a relationship as we worked together before. For example, Suthep [Thaugsuban, the PDRC secretary-general] was deputy premier in charge of national security.

He worked with the top brass in the past. My father [General Winai Phattiyakul] was a former permanent secretary of Defence.

He is familiar with the senior generals like General Tanasak [Patimapragorn, the Supreme Commander] as they used to work together. General Nipat [Thonglek, current permanent secretary] was far less senior.

However, the military has its own stance and has nothing to do with the protest.

How would you describe the military's role in Thai politics?

The military is an official government unit, which is powerful as a functioning mechanism. It has a large number of personnel and they are in charge of arms.

Although [the military] remains in the barracks, politically it is still an agency that the people would show deference to.

Why do you need support from the military?

We want a people's revolution and this requires government officials to boycott the government. The military is a powerful agency, as I have said, so we want its support. The military has now realised that a military coup would be a quick [outcome], but it could backfire hugely with many problems. So the military would definitely not come out unless there was violence.

How would you interpret the military gestures so far?

We have to look at them separately. The focus should be on the armed forces commanders, as they are the controllers of the forces. The permanent secretary is the top position but [he is] more like a strategist for the defence minister. It is normal that he would speak for the government.

So far, the armed forces' leaders remain neutral. But as they have said they would take "the people's side", instead of saying that they would "follow the government", that's a good sign.

Do the PDRC and the military talk to each other a lot?

We talk constantly but not at the top, mainly through a commander of Directorate of Military Operations. He will talk to me and I relay the message to Suthep. The only time that Suthep went to meet the top brass [privately] was during the meeting with the prime minister.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-12-20

How many TV posters feel deference towards the military of their home countries? An unusual but illuminating turn of phrase to use.

Ver good point. In most western countries the miitary only act internally when called to help the civil authorities and that means it's serious.

In Asia the military have a very different role as governments rely on their support and that can be taken in many ways. Defer to the military, give them the toys they want and they might not overthrow you !

• Like 2

How many TV posters feel deference towards the military of their home countries? An unusual but illuminating turn of phrase to use.

Ver good point. In most western countries the miitary only act internally when called to help the civil authorities and that means it's serious.

In Asia the military have a very different role as governments rely on their support and that can be taken in many ways. Defer to the military, give them the toys they want and they might not overthrow you !

This is typical of banana republics.

In the US each state has a military under the command of its governor. It can be called out in emergencies but there's a process. It's often used right after a hurricane or something, but again limited to the state and the governor, and emergencies.

The Coast Guard can be used to patrol coastal waters.

The actual US military can be used only in a few delineated extraordinary circumstances such as someone threatening to use a nuclear bomb.

People everywhere should be afraid of the idea of their military being used against them.

• Like 2

The problem with Asian countries , is their love of everything military, politics and the military in a democracy are far removed from forming policy, the power base is the political parties , elected representatives of the people , not military commanders, the military has no place in modern history to the running of a country, their job is purely defence and security of a country, the PDRC would do well to disassociate its-self with military commanders and get to the heart of the matter Thaskin Shinawatra. bah.gif

• Like 1

The only time i showed deference to the army back home was when a bunch of pissed up squaddies were looking for a fight in a local pub.

"The military has now realised that a military coup would be a quick outcome, but it could backfire hugely with many problems."

Yes the last time they helped there comrades out the yellows and masacured the reds it only made the Reds stronger. Just as the current coup attempt with the Mad dictator Suthep is making them stronger. When will the rich elites learn that the only way to win is to win the hearts and the minds of the majority instead of trying to rule them under a iron thumb. I would love to see this happen in a democratic way, but highly dobtfull in my lifetime!

This is the bit that should cause concern:

"We talk constantly but not at the top, mainly through a commander of Directorate of Military Operations. He will talk to me and I relay the message to Suthep. The only time that Suthep went to meet the top brass [privately] was during the meeting with the prime minister."

So far, the focus has been on the stance of the top commanders. Maybe we should also be looking elsewhere as this part of the report says there are constant communications at a lower level within the army. Could there be a group of soldiers disaffected by the (public) neutrality of the top brass and who might see this as their opportunity for glory?

"The military has now realised that a military coup would be a quick outcome, but it could backfire hugely with many problems."

Yes the last time they helped there comrades out the yellows and masacured the reds it only made the Reds stronger. Just as the current coup attempt with the Mad dictator Suthep is making them stronger. When will the rich elites learn that the only way to win is to win the hearts and the minds of the majority instead of trying to rule them under a iron thumb. I would love to see this happen in a democratic way, but highly dobtfull in my lifetime!

This is the bit that should cause concern:

"We talk constantly but not at the top, mainly through a commander of Directorate of Military Operations. He will talk to me and I relay the message to Suthep. The only time that Suthep went to meet the top brass [privately] was during the meeting with the prime minister."

So far, the focus has been on the stance of the top commanders. Maybe we should also be looking elsewhere as this part of the report says there are constant communications at a lower level within the army. Could there be a group of soldiers disaffected by the (public) neutrality of the top brass and who might see this as their opportunity for glory?

With 60% to 70% of the troops red shirts they will have a problem. Most rich Thai's never serve as troops they go directly into officer positions. The yellows thus have a very small troop military base. In 2006 the red shirts did not exist and the coup was easy, now its more difficult. Also if lower officers try and not succeed there would be for ever a rift between royalist and senior army officers.

Once again your reveal your breathtaking ignorance of the truth miss red shirt ! clap2.gif

Once again your reveal your breathtaking ignorance of the truth miss red shirt ! clap2.gif

I'd say that she has two very profound realities within her text.

I'd say that she has two very profound realities within her text.

Kind of reminds me of what I saw the last time I crossed the border at Hat Yai. The Malaysian army post at the border, where you're not allowed to photograph, has "the army - the cornerstone of a nation's sovereignty" (or words to that effect) printed at the front in big golden letters. So it's not just Thailand.

• Like 1

Ah Miss Tingtongteeseed typical response when someone has been brainwashed, can only lash out with rudness! I actually do not like either, Reds or Yellows they are both corrupt and enept! But I do believe in the democratic process and I will always side with a corrupt elected offical instead of a corrupt dictator, its called choosing the less of two evils. As long as Thailand continues to allow coups nothing will ever change.

• Like 1

Ah Miss Tingtongteeseed typical response when someone has been brainwashed, can only lash out with rudness! I actually do not like either, Reds or Yellows they are both corrupt and enept! But I do believe in the democratic process and I will always side with a corrupt elected offical instead of a corrupt dictator, its called choosing the less of two evils. As long as Thailand continues to allow coups nothing will ever change.

You landed one hence the troll post