Buying liquor as a thank you present -- what kind?

dotx

I'd like to buy a bottle of liquor to say thank you to somebody. It's a long/complicated story, but basically this person went out of his way to fix a major problem I had. It was his job to fix this, but I think he went beyond what was expected, so I'd like to say thank you.

Somebody mentioned that buying a nice bottle of .... something ... would be a good way to say thanks. Any recommendations? I don't want to spend a fortune but I don't want to buy something really cheap either.

Presuming the recipient is a drinker.

Find out their favourite tipple.

Then buy accordingly.

Quality wine,vodka,gin, whisky, maybe a liqueur.but something they wouldn't ordinarily buy for themselves.

Edited by Hedghog

Depends on too many factors to mention. Very odd to ask such a vague question on what should be a relativley simple matter considering you know all the ins and outs.

Oh, i'm having a few people around for xmas lunch and wish to buy them a small gift. Does anyone have any ideas.

Sorry i can't tell you anyhting about them: male or female, age, nationality, drinkers or teetotal, friends or relatives, price range for gifts, etc etc. Appreciate any ideas.

Edited by jonesthebaker

Just some relative thinking here.

If the recipient is a Westerner ... give what you want.

If, however the recipient is Thai ... it's a different ball game.

It's not what we like, it's not how good the product is, what is important what the Thais think of it.

You can go and buy a high quality bottle off hooch, far more expensive then Johnnie Walker Red ... and it won't be appreciated because there is no 'Face' attached.

The gift has to be 'known' in Thailand for the brand to be desired.

Buy for a Thai an 'aspirational' bottle. Gift Box is appreciated.

From low to high

Hong Thong

Sang Som

100 Pipers in a gift steel box

Blend 285 (I like this one for me)

Johnnie Walker Red

Johnnie Walker Black

Before the barrage of ... you forgot brand XXX, <deleted>, you rate this above that ...

The list is not exhaustive, other opinions may differ.

Assuming the person concerned is a Scotch drinker,then you can't go wrong,with the best whiskey/Scotch, money can buy,the choice is enormous,and literally 100s,the quality is superb (no! i'm not a Scot,as most of you know) Last Christmas my Thai wife bought me a bottle of 12 year old McCallans,and boy was I was I pleased with that! after 100 Pipers,(no comment) superb stuff. When you buy quality such as McCallans,it's saying "I want you to have the best,with love" (£36,Ltr,uk,(1900 bhat) ask your mate to bring a bottle or 2 through duty free) if they are coming for Christmas.

Edited by MAJIC