Cold snap kills in Thailand's North

webfact

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Australian ABC News via Australia Network ran a story tonight about the "Cold Snap in Northern Thailand."

Main point was that many of the Dogs that were rescued from the "Dog Meat Traders" could now die of the cold at their shelter unless the Public assists with donations.

Sounds like a worthwhile cause!!

A donation to save the soi dogs------ a worthwhile causeclap2.gifcheesy.gif You must live in a quiet neighbourhood !!!!!!!!

Australian ABC News via Australia Network ran a story tonight about the "Cold Snap in Northern Thailand."

Main point was that many of the Dogs that were rescued from the "Dog Meat Traders" could now die of the cold at their shelter unless the Public assists with donations.

Sounds like a worthwhile cause!!

A donation to save the soi dogs------ a worthwhile causeclap2.gifcheesy.gif You must live in a quiet neighbourhood !!!!!!!!

And ABC news would be happy to take these dogs to Australia and, possibly, introduce rabiies? I will give to their appeal for dogmaritan cash.

Did they report on what is happening in Bkk?

I doubt it. Welcome to modern journalism.

Edited by Soi Sauce

If it's cold and you haven't got any friends, invite your dog into your bed. I have a cuddly 45kg bed warmer and two 20+kg furballs on emergency standby. I don't expect ever to experience a 3 dog night in Thailand.

3Dog Night are still going if you want to invite them, doubt if they'll sleep with you though!

Call me ignorant but I find it hard to believe that anyone could die from being exposed to the so-called frigid temperature of 13 degrees Celsius! Unless of course the person in question was already very weak due to some pre-existing illness, which is most likely - although I have never heard of anyone in the west dying after being exposed to 13 degrees. Admittedly, I find 13 degrees a bit cool too, but it's hardly like we're talking about frostbite like conditions. A warm blanket is all you need and you'll be fine. Not only that, but it's normal for temperatures to drop to the low teens this time of year in northern provinces like the one mentioned. It happens every year.

I think it's a combo of cold, damp and ill health Tom(etc) Lung infections brought about by damp and cold can (and it seems are) be lethal and if the person hasn't got the funds for medication it's not going to get better quickly

Sure, I can see that. But you never, at least I have never heard of anyone, no matter how ill dying in the west from being exposed to 13 degrees C even if they have a lung infection and are very old and weak etc. Or at least, they don't tend to publish such things (hence why I was surprised to read about this and my comment) - maybe once the temperature starts getting down closer to 0 or below zero then absolutely yes, but 13 degrees, not quite. And yes, looking at statistics from different locations in the north of Thailand, the temperature does go lower than 13 degrees every single year, without exception. This year might be a bit cooler than normal, but for the most part the temperatures being experienced are nothing unusual apart from those few cool days about 2 weeks ago.

In 3-4 months will we start reading about these same elderly people dying of exposure to the inevitable 42-43 degree heat that will affect many of the same parts of the country that are currently experiencing rather cool weather?

Call me ignorant but I find it hard to believe that anyone could die from being exposed to the so-called frigid temperature of 13 degrees Celsius! Unless of course the person in question was already very weak due to some pre-existing illness, which is most likely - although I have never heard of anyone in the west dying after being exposed to 13 degrees. Admittedly, I find 13 degrees a bit cool too, but it's hardly like we're talking about frostbite like conditions. A warm blanket is all you need and you'll be fine. Not only that, but it's normal for temperatures to drop to the low teens this time of year in northern provinces like the one mentioned. It happens every year.

I think it's a combo of cold, damp and ill health Tom(etc) Lung infections brought about by damp and cold can (and it seems are) be lethal and if the person hasn't got the funds for medication it's not going to get better quickly

All true I believe but let us remember that evolution has made their bodies use to higher temperatures year round than we are.

I notice my self that Temperatures that were nothing to me three going on four years ago are now cold. Are bodies do adjust and these people have never had the time to adjust. Besides this is definatly a colder winter. Here in Chiang Mai we had a run of 10 degree lows and my friend up in Pai tells me it is even colder there.

Sure, I can see that. But you never, at least I have never heard of anyone, no matter how ill dying in the west from being exposed to 13 degrees C even if they have a lung infection and are very old and weak etc. Or at least, they don't tend to publish such things (hence why I was surprised to read about this and my comment) - maybe once the temperature starts getting down closer to 0 or below zero then absolutely yes, but 13 degrees, not quite. And yes, looking at statistics from different locations in the north of Thailand, the temperature does go lower than 13 degrees every single year, without exception. This year might be a bit cooler than normal, but for the most part the temperatures being experienced are nothing unusual apart from those few cool days about 2 weeks ago.

In 3-4 months will we start reading about these same elderly people dying of exposure to the inevitable 42-43 degree heat that will affect many of the same parts of the country that are currently experiencing rather cool weather?

Apparently 822 deaths from cold related illnesses, not really something to joke about. Temperatures went down to 2c and into minus up Doi Chang. Night time temperatures still as low as 9c. The buildings are not built to cope with cold, tiled floors everywhere, no heating only A/C. The locals are used to the high temperatures - I've never read of people dying from 42c in Chiang Mai - in Cyprus, yes. You mentioned that temps go to 13 c every year this time of year and that's true - this year has been exceptionally cold in CM - but each year the government are still busy distributing blankets each year, they simply aren't prepared for it. Same in the UK, each year it will snow and local government will run out of salt and grit for the roads etc. If you want understand it better, take a trip up there and stay in one of the bungalows or huts, then you will truly understand it Tom.

• Like 1

Apparently 822 deaths from cold related illnesses, not really something to joke about. Temperatures went down to 2c and into minus up Doi Chang. Night time temperatures still as low as 9c. The buildings are not built to cope with cold, tiled floors everywhere, no heating only A/C. The locals are used to the high temperatures - I've never read of people dying from 42c in Chiang Mai - in Cyprus, yes. You mentioned that temps go to 13 c every year this time of year and that's true - this year has been exceptionally cold in CM - but each year the government are still busy distributing blankets each year, they simply aren't prepared for it. Same in the UK, each year it will snow and local government will run out of salt and grit for the roads etc. If you want understand it better, take a trip up there and stay in one of the bungalows or huts, then you will truly understand it Tom.

But many air-conditioning units have reverse cycle and can provide heat?blink.png