Impressions on Violence in Thailand

bonobo

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i remember when you get the most dangerous countries to live in ratings. I think it was based on the number of murders per capita. I beleive that back in the 80s or 90s that the US and new York in particular was the most dangerious country and city to live in respetivly.

it did not mean then as it does not mean now that those people are more dangerous, just that more desperate people around, more skilled desepearte people around, more people around that can exploit locals behabviour nd make money from it at low risk to selves.

wrt the op I think the prevalence of video record on mobiles has a lot to do with this, the government feels if the plebs can record any goings on then they ought to be able to do the same thing to the plebs

i think a lot of the rubbish shown on Thai soaps makes people think that this is the norm and therefore acceptable.

Pistol whippings, shootings, kidnappings, cops on the take, drug deals, hi-so's in Mercedes above reproach, etc. etc. it's all there in the Thai soaps, impressionable youngsters seem to think it is cool to emulate their heros on tv, and i say that is the root of the problem.

Back home I would have scoffed at the idea of TV influencing society in such a way but when you see most Thais glued, open-mouthed in front of the box at 'drama' time, I have to agree. I think you may have a point.

• Like 2

Violence is getting worse in many countries, but in Thailand it's worse than anywhere else I've seen.

Just a few examples:

- A Thai soap showing serious violence, a man beating a wife until her face is bleeding at 6.30 PM and many soaps revolving around violence.

- Cartoons for kids from Thailand, Korea and Japan full of violent characters.

- Thai Rath newspaper with the daily dose of people in pools of blood.

- Teenagers engaging in school battles using real or homemade guns resulting in countless shooting incidents in schools and on public transportation.

- Kids of 2 years old hitting and biting each other with the parents and older kids cheering.

- Grown ups exploding out off control over the smallest of incidents leading to serious violence involving knifes, swords and the ever present firearms.

And I can keep going on and on.

Growing wild due to lack of disciplining by parents, at schools and by the police and the legal system.

Violence is Thai culture!

Good post. This answers the OP exactly as it is here. Violence and corruption are now unfortunatly, a huge part of Thai culture.

Violence is getting worse in many countries, but in Thailand it's worse than anywhere else I've seen.

Just a few examples:

- A Thai soap showing serious violence, a man beating a wife until her face is bleeding at 6.30 PM and many soaps revolving around violence.

- Cartoons for kids from Thailand, Korea and Japan full of violent characters.

- Thai Rath newspaper with the daily dose of people in pools of blood.

- Teenagers engaging in school battles using real or homemade guns resulting in countless shooting incidents in schools and on public transportation.

- Kids of 2 years old hitting and biting each other with the parents and older kids cheering.

- Grown ups exploding out off control over the smallest of incidents leading to serious violence involving knifes, swords and the ever present firearms.

And I can keep going on and on.

Growing wild due to lack of disciplining by parents, at schools and by the police and the legal system.

Violence is Thai culture!

You gotta be kidding me dude. Check out the video. Knock out game

• Like 2

I know a guy who was a former gang member in BK over 15 years ago.

He was the guy on the back of the m/c with the automatic.

Would spray rival business/enemies with bullets in drive bys.

Killed several.

No it isn't getting worse, just being reported more.

Life is cheap in Thailand, always was.

If violence has increased, it would only be marginal. Maybe. In the early 90s, violent incidents reached us only through the newspapers or word of mouth, mostly in the bars of Patpong, Cowboy or Nana, the regular haunts. Today, as I seldom visit a bar, the news comes through online media outlets or bulletin boards like this. I perceive no great change other than a proliferation of incidents filmed by cctv or smart phone. If there is a higher percentage on the Thai TV news, I cannot say as I never watch it. Now I'm about to go out for a drink, armed and ready with my smart phone - let the fun begin.

There is violence in Thailand; however, I fee my personal safety is most at risk simply riding my motorcycle. I have been forced off the road a couple of times by drivers in my lane. Usually they are passing another vehicle and maybe they didn't see me or, most likely, they simply don't care.

I also see drivers, usually motorbike drivers, texting and updating their Facebook accounts while driving. Oh my Buddha do I ever give those folks a wide berth :)

Back on topic, I have lived in Thailand for 10+ years and do not recall hearing about violent car jackings or Thais walking into schools and murdering people.

As other posters have observed, the world in general seems to be more violent, but then reporting of crime/violence has increased dramatically.

• Like 1

Its been my observation that foreigners with low levels of Thai language skills are often unaware of violence happening within very close proximity to where they live.

I've posted this before, I was once listening to an expat telling me how low crime rates in Thailand are, he was totally unaware of a gang rape which had taken place only a few days earlier less than 200 meters from his front door.

When it comes to violent crimes in close knit communities, Thai people will often not discuss the crime, knowing full well who was the victim, who was the perpetrator and the close knit relationships between those who might overhear the discussion and the perp.

• Like 1

http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/cause-of-death/violence/by-country/

Brazil #19, Philippines # 40, Thailand #75, USA #92

Interesting! Many Brits comment on how violent the UK can be; however, it is listed at #160 on this site.

Viet Nam was listed at 139 and China at 142 so I'm thinking "Why am I living in Thailand?"

http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/cause-of-death/violence/by-country/

Brazil #19, Philippines # 40, Thailand #75, USA #92

Interesting! Many Brits comment on how violent the UK can be; however, it is listed at #160 on this site.

Viet Nam was listed at 139 and China at 142 so I'm thinking "Why am I living in Thailand?"

Well it's a choice of Thailand, Brazil or the Philippines for most expats eh? The food and temples don't ya know.

Unfortunately all the violence I have seen here (as stated much more than in any other country) has been a case of someone who cannot lose against someone much weaker. (a bigger man with a weapon, a man or men against a woman, a man against a young teenager with his mates behind just in case, just to name a few instances I remember right now.) 3 times it has been a man or men against a woman, in two of the cases it was like they almost orgasming off the power of it. Loving it. The other time I was luckily able to prevent it from going too far by stopping very close to it and getting out my phone while loudly pretending to call people to come here right now.

Edited by Beet