Facebook used to monitor human migration patterns, many tracked to Thailand

webfact

Facebook used to monitor human migration patterns, many tracked to Thailand
By Coconuts Bangkok

migrate.map_.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Some expats are sent here by employers. Some are retreating from poor prospects back home. Others make the move for want of adventure, love or the tropical sun.

Thailand turns out to be a big landing point for migratory humans, according to an internal study by Facebook, which compared users' listed hometowns to their current cities of residence.

"Large-scale migrations are an important part of human history," read the Facebook post announcing the results. "Whether they result from economics, wars, natural disaster, cultural imperatives or state policies, the worldwide flows of human beings are highly complex and notoriously difficult to measure. Here we turn our attention to a specific, fascinating kind of human migration, which we call 'oordinated migration.'"

This data was then used to determine which cities had the most of these "coordinated migrations." Bangkok was No. 4. [read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2013/12/20/facebook-used-monitor-human-migration-patterns-many-tracked-thailand

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2013-12-20

This article sort of misses the point. 90 percent of the people who migrated to the number four city (Bangkok) are of Thai nationality. The migration is of rural Thais to Bangkok. There's no mention of Thailand being an especially important country to attract foreigners. Maybe that's just a bit of speculation thrown in to appeal to Coconuts' expat audience.

Edited by ollylama
  • Like 1

how many people do not put another city in the USA for example to just show off while they live in thailand...

facecrap studies

only good for getting fired from your job when posting something stupid overthere

or worse, getting killed for knowing someone online like yesterdays story

With the exception of London, many countries are from the third world, i think it is not only people going into the country but people trying to get out. Maybe they are people who tried to flee the country, (no data) then returned (data) which builds up the numbers, interesting though.

BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU !!! This is why I give very little info on it, not even my real birthday...

Big Brother certainly is watching us as are his siblings at Google, Microsoft and even Yahoo. I do not live in Bangkok, in fact I live hundeds Kms from there, but my ISP is routed through Bangkok. I am contsantly receiving unsolicited marketing emails stating I am in BKK and FB posts BKK releated adverts on my home page.