Chick peas or garbanzo beans

kcore

Rimping has the dried beans for around 50 baht for a half kilo bag. Slow cooking them in a crock pot over night or less than an hour in a pressure cooker does the trick.

As for Tahini, not essential element of humous. Personally, I find it quite bitter and never use it. Even if you did it would only take 1 tsp for an entire batch of beans. So the jar would last years.

I always take the extra step of peeling my chic peas but to be honest it is only slightly more smooth. Not really noticeable for most people.

Tahini is only sesame seeds ground up and made into a paste, so I'm fairly sure you would be able to get something similar locally if you new what to ask for - I didn't, I brought 3 jars with me last time I was in Aus (and paid a king's ransom for them even there).

If anyone knows of a local product I would be grateful to know the name.

tahini is always the ingredient that makes it uneconomical. Rimping used to have 2 brands. one was about 260 Bath for a small bottle and another was about 320 Bath for a slightly larger bottle. you can buy sesame seeds almost everywhere (Thai markets all have them, Makro, etc. and they are very cheap here) and grind them in your grinder/food processor into a paste and there you have it. (you will need to add a little sesame oil, salt, and we add a little warm water so it is more of a creamy texture rather than a paste).

zeichen, 1 tsp? personal taste of course but we use a heck of a lot more than that (as they do in the Middle East).

It's incredibly easy to make hummus without power tools or tahini. I smash sesame seeds in my Thai mortar/pestle and add sesame and olive oil. If I use straight sesame oil, it's too bitter. I cook the garbanzo beans/chickpeas until mushy and then smash them with the potato masher. Yes, my hummus isn't as smooth as store-bought, but it always seems to disappear when I bring it to a party! It's really great as a dip for lightly steamed pieces of carrot.

• Like 2

I saw white & black tahini in Baan Suan Pak yesterday.

About 150 b for a decent sized bag, 250 g i would guess.

If you dont know the shop, take the rd from the NE corner of the moat past the President hotel.

After the President look out on your right for a large gravel parking area, the shop is in the rear right.

Hey Khun Pond,

Welcome back for the holidays! So, are you talking tahini or sesame seeds at that shop??

I just made some tasty tahini from toasted white sesame seeds in the blender and was amazed how easy. If it's bitter, just add some brown sugar or honey.........

Also Makro has McGarett dried garbanzos for not too expensive.

I'll give you a call some day.

There are lots of different recipies for different kinds of hummus.

I've made my own at home for years here, without using tahini. Just an electric food processor and dump in two cans of S&W garbanzos, drained except for about half of cup of their liquid, lemon juice to taste, garlic or garlic powder to taste, and enough EV olive oil to add flavor and smooth the mixture. For my taste, adding about two tablespoons of ground cumin powder makes it right.

For a long time, I was making variations on the above recipe without using cumin...and they tasted OK...but not right compared to commercial version. Once I started adding the cumin, the mixture pretty well matched up with the flavor of commercial versions.

There were two local brands of hummus with tahini being sold at Rimping for $3 (100 baht) a few months ago that tasted pretty good to me. I think that it was 100 grams. I don't want to make my own anything.

one brand was from the Israeli restaurant in the old city. it was acceptable but had an odd flavor of some spice that was a tad bitter. but for some reason Rimping has not had it for months now. at least i never see it anymore nor do i see their pita or baba ghanoush. there is another Thai brand of humus now. it's terrible. same company makes pita that is also no good.

Black Swan is an Australian brand, too dry for my taste. I just cook chick peas/garbanzo and blitz them in a blender with some tahini, lemon juice, yoghurt, garlic and seasoning and try to remember for next time the quantities used.

Really nice on toast sprinkled with smoked paprika.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Jaidee, it was paste, homemade looking.

Kcore, you can get chickpeas at Rim ping supermarket, you can also probably get them at Makro on the superhiway, theyre near the fresh veg with the dried spices etc.

Just checked macro s.h. Spice section . Nothing there?? I am hoping to buy bulk and not s& p canned. Do they have a " Thai" name for dry garbanzo beans.?

Kcore, you can get chickpeas at Rim ping supermarket, you can also probably get them at Makro on the superhiway, theyre near the fresh veg with the dried spices etc.

Just checked macro s.h. Spice section . Nothing there?? I am hoping to buy bulk and not s& p canned. Do they have a " Thai" name for dry garbanzo beans.?

Dried beans and legumes section? I'm sure I got my last lot at Tesco and had to look at them to make sure they were the right things as the name was written in Thai, I know I've got them from Macro and Tops before. Find out where the mung beans, red kidney beans etc are and hunt around there.

I've bought them before at Macro and Rimping. I was at Macro yesterday and it looked like they might not have had any in stock.

Garbanzo beans?? Never heard of this name - maybe it's american for another word in english. Are these really like chick peas?

They are not like chick peas, garbanzo beans are exactly the same as chick peas. Here in the states they are referred to as garbanzo beans (possibly Italian origin), or chick peas (depends on where in the United States you are).