An ordinary Thai's impression of us Westerners.

i claudius

As many may know i had buisness in BKK and met my wife through it(no not a barsmile.png ) we lived in the UK had a son and when he was 12 came to live in Thailand for good ,Pattaya seemed the best choice ,even though the wife was not to keen ,BKK to hectic ,up north ,to out of it ,down south ,to far to BKK so Pattaya was a good choice although we did not want to live in Town,so as you said its very convirnent for most things

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As many may know i had buisness in BKK and met my wife through it(no not a barsmile.png ) we lived in the UK had a son and when he was 12 came to live in Thailand for good ,Pattaya seemed the best choice ,even though the wife was not to keen ,BKK to hectic ,up north ,to out of it ,down south ,to far to BKK so Pattaya was a good choice although we did not want to live in Town,so as you said its very convirnent for most things

You made a very good choice.clap2.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I no longer care what they think of us. I care more about what i think of them....not very much to be honest.

Interesting ~~~ 6 comments into this thread and half of them have this attitude. The western male with a few coins in his pocket swoops into Pattaya for fun and games and in the process sets himself on a pedestal as a king of some sort. "I don't have to care what any Thai thinks.... I am god!" First of all, that "ugly American" persona, generic to include European and Aussie as well, precedes the single western male already. So by all means, let's heap onto that by acting the jackass parts to over the top levels. If foreigners from any country come into our respective homeland, and they were to act like most do when they come to Thailand, we would most certainly see them as jackasses and perhaps even take them to school, depending on how asinine they are. Manner of dress is part of that persona. Gold chains to rival Mr T, shirt open to your basketball sized beer belly, pants hanging off the crack of your arse, brand new Thai style tattoo proudly displayed, cigarette wafting smoke over all you survey, big boisterous foul mouth bellowing like a water buffalo, all to culminate at the end of the evening in a drunken stupor in your condo with the 5000B hooker you've been buying drinks for all evening. Standard fare expected from the Pattaya or Hua Hin or Phuket farang. But even in the more traditional rural areas the farang must try their best to be a spectacle. From the hippy tree hugger types who wear those ridiculous clothes that they think to be so Thai, even though they look more like a Tibetan Sherpa's wardrobe, to the nose in the air "respect me, I'm rich" airs put forth to impress with monetary shock and awe. All in all western visitors for the most part are a laughing stock because they ARE ridiculous. They see westerners trying to be more Thai than an actual Thai person like a pet monkey, performing entertaining tricks for them. You can be their best friend until the novelty wears off. Traditional Thai older generational folks are definitely put off by such antics as are respectable Thais of our generation. For me as long as all those type westerners stay in the farang tourist/bar areas, all the better for those of us actually wishing to cohabitate in Thai society with their respect. They actually respect westerners who act and dress like civilized and respectful westerners. The attitude of not caring what anyone thinks of you only makes you someone undesirable in any culture. A jackass. I've been here for 4 years now and went through the stages of preconception by the locals and earned their respect through normal civilized living. I dress as normal Thais dress. I eat Thai food, but also indulge in western foods when I feel like it. I respect their superstitions and religion even if I find it silly at times. I do not entertain to gain attention. I do fit in. I have not compromised my own standards of western lifestyle, but by the same token, I will go out of my way to be gracious and accommodating to show respect, and gain respect as the result. By the way, most Thai people have a lot more money than meets the eye, so your pitiful portfolio is only really impressive to the bargirls who are itching to get those baht out of your pockets. Cheers!

I no longer care what they think of us. I care more about what i think of them....not very much to be honest.

Interesting ~~~ 6 comments into this thread and half of them have this attitude. The western male with a few coins in his pocket swoops into Pattaya for fun and games and in the process sets himself on a pedestal as a king of some sort. "I don't have to care what any Thai thinks.... I am god!" First of all, that "ugly American" persona, generic to include European and Aussie as well, precedes the single western male already. So by all means, let's heap onto that by acting the jackass parts to over the top levels. If foreigners from any country come into our respective homeland, and they were to act like most do when they come to Thailand, we would most certainly see them as jackasses and perhaps even take them to school, depending on how asinine they are. Manner of dress is part of that persona. Gold chains to rival Mr T, shirt open to your basketball sized beer belly, pants hanging off the crack of your arse, brand new Thai style tattoo proudly displayed, cigarette wafting smoke over all you survey, big boisterous foul mouth bellowing like a water buffalo, all to culminate at the end of the evening in a drunken stupor in your condo with the 5000B hooker you've been buying drinks for all evening. Standard fare expected from the Pattaya or Hua Hin or Phuket farang. But even in the more traditional rural areas the farang must try their best to be a spectacle. From the hippy tree hugger types who wear those ridiculous clothes that they think to be so Thai, even though they look more like a Tibetan Sherpa's wardrobe, to the nose in the air "respect me, I'm rich" airs put forth to impress with monetary shock and awe. All in all western visitors for the most part are a laughing stock because they ARE ridiculous. They see westerners trying to be more Thai than an actual Thai person like a pet monkey, performing entertaining tricks for them. You can be their best friend until the novelty wears off. Traditional Thai older generational folks are definitely put off by such antics as are respectable Thais of our generation. For me as long as all those type westerners stay in the farang tourist/bar areas, all the better for those of us actually wishing to cohabitate in Thai society with their respect. They actually respect westerners who act and dress like civilized and respectful westerners. The attitude of not caring what anyone thinks of you only makes you someone undesirable in any culture. A jackass. I've been here for 4 years now and went through the stages of preconception by the locals and earned their respect through normal civilized living. I dress as normal Thais dress. I eat Thai food, but also indulge in western foods when I feel like it. I respect their superstitions and religion even if I find it silly at times. I do not entertain to gain attention. I do fit in. I have not compromised my own standards of western lifestyle, but by the same token, I will go out of my way to be gracious and accommodating to show respect, and gain respect as the result. By the way, most Thai people have a lot more money than meets the eye, so your pitiful portfolio is only really impressive to the bargirls who are itching to get those baht out of your pockets. Cheers!

I have lived here 30 years have more qualification and money than most. Have lived in condos, moon baans, have had great Thai heighbours, speak the lingo , this is my home.

4 years is a piss in the wind, you haven't worked here, used the institutions here, been confronted by injustice, experienced the education system etc..you don't live the life of a normal Thai.

Your biggest delusion is that you think you "fit in" after 4 years..you don't ..

I frankly don't see this I am a rich farang syndrome..most aren't ...that again is how you perceive other farangs.

Frankly I don't see this Thai more than Thai farang neither...again your perception.how do you know what they are thinking?

So what if people go to the tourists areas and act accordingly..so what if they want to play the bar girl scene..it was there before they come..personally I hate it now..but it's there..I hate the fact that I can't live in one of my condos because I can't get peace and quite because of the drunk bar girls

And the old drunk farangs..i was there way before them, things change..

Why are you so worried..just live your own life , leave the others alone.

I do a lot of voluntary work with a retired lawyer helping out farangs who need assistance. My daughter helps out at rainbow house with the disabled kids..

Maybe you should do something positive to counter balance what you see all around you.

I just wish Thailand would return to the mid 90's and not have so many old and bitter farangs here....but I can't, so stop prejudging others..

Some Thais have money, some don't..most bargirls earn more than the retirees they serve..so what..money doesn't make class..

I have learnt not to be so sensitive to what Thais think of me and now do not bend to the "wind" simply because I am not Thai.

One thing I have learnt is that if you don't stand up for yourself here you will be taken advantage of..there is no need to go out of your way to show respect it should come naturally and how have you " gained respect". I started out here as an impoverished student and in my mid 50's have money..ultimately that is what Thai society respects..money..that doesn't precluded other things but money is way up there..

Ultimately my conclusion is that western culture is better than asian culture in so many way..I am proud of being a farang/ foreigner..it's truely embarrassing the way some farangs act here and agree with you in part but stop the prejudging I am superior than thou crap.

You will never "fit in"...at least those you berate are more authentic..

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I have lived here 30 years have more qualification and money than most. Have lived in condos, moon baans, have had great Thai heighbours, speak the lingo , this is my home.

4 years is a piss in the wind, you haven't worked here, used the institutions here, been confronted by injustice, experienced the education system etc..you don't live the life of a normal Thai.

Your biggest delusion is that you think you "fit in" after 4 years..you don't ..

I frankly don't see this I am a rich farang syndrome..most aren't ...that again is how you perceive other farangs.

Frankly I don't see this Thai more than Thai farang neither...again your perception.how do you know what they are thinking?

So what if people go to the tourists areas and act accordingly..so what if they want to play the bar girl scene..it was there before they come..personally I hate it now..but it's there..I hate the fact that I can't live in one of my condos because I can't get peace and quite because of the drunk bar girls

And the old drunk farangs..i was there way before them, things change..

Why are you so worried..just live your own life , leave the others alone.

I do a lot of voluntary work with a retired lawyer helping out farangs who need assistance. My daughter helps out at rainbow house with the disabled kids..

Maybe you should do something positive to counter balance what you see all around you.

I just wish Thailand would return to the mid 90's and not have so many old and bitter farangs here....but I can't, so stop prejudging others..

Some Thais have money, some don't..most bargirls earn more than the retirees they serve..so what..money doesn't make class..

I have learnt not to be so sensitive to what Thais think of me and now do not bend to the "wind" simply because I am not Thai.

One thing I have learnt is that if you don't stand up for yourself here you will be taken advantage of..there is no need to go out of your way to show respect it should come naturally and how have you " gained respect". I started out here as an impoverished student and in my mid 50's have money..ultimately that is what Thai society respects..money..that doesn't precluded other things but money is way up there..

Ultimately my conclusion is that western culture is better than asian culture in so many way..I am proud of being a farang/ foreigner..it's truely embarrassing the way some farangs act here and agree with you in part but stop the prejudging I am superior than thou crap.

You will never "fit in"...at least those you berate are more authentic..

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

A good reply to a naive f---, that thinks thais respect him as if he his one of theirs

Wherever I go I wear knee length shorts and sandals. Daytime I generally wear a T-shirt with them. Evenings I wear a dress shirt with them when I go to the bar or wherever.

I dress to feel comfortable and do not care what others think of how I dress.

Immigration I wear shorts, sandals and a dress shirt. Same for each time I go for a driving licence. I have never had a problem.

My clothes are clean, I shave, have a number 2 cut and shower often, because I want to. Not because of what others might think of me.

Each to their own.

As if that means anything. The only thing they really care about your money.

I think that likely says more about the places you frequent than anything else. Step away from the bars and the go-go joints and you will find that your interactions will be much different....

Yea, that must be the problem. I need to get out of the go-go bars so I can be around real Thais who have zero interest in money. Now that I think about it, just the idea that so many of them just want our money is silly, I admit.

Away from the hookers and those out to take your cash .........

But I like my wife!