An ordinary Thai's impression of us Westerners.

i claudius

The other day i was at immegration ,on leaving the wife and i stopped at a cart to get somtam ect ,anyway the old lady there started a conversation with the wife ,it was obvious she was talking about me (my Thai is limited)

asking the wife what she had said ,she said that the old lady had asked how long we had been married and said that i looked very smartwink.png unlike most of the foreigners that she saw who were low class and looked terrible ,the way they dressed and all the tattoo's they had and on the whole looked scruffy and dirty .

Now i was only wearing a shirt and trousers ,but i was quite shocked that a woman who was obviously not very well off and working selling food from a cart had such a low opinion of us westerners . Do you think its what most of them think ,? sad.png

• Like 2

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Was this pressed trousers and pressed shirt?

She may have had a different perception had she known the real you and your spelling abilities.

Whits wrong with my spooling ,i tipe fast .

No just an ordinary shirt and cheap trousers and horror of horror flip flops.

So in other words, you look scruffy. No suprise there then.

OP writes:

"she said that the old lady had asked how long we had been married and said that i looked very smart unlike most of the foreigners that she saw who were low class and looked terrible ,the way they dressed and all the tattoo's they had and on the whole looked scruffy and dirty ."

-Ask yourself then if the foreigners are so bad why does the immigration allow them to stay so long in Thaland?

And by the way OP I think your topic is designed to flame!

Some Thais will like Farangs some will not, that's the way it is

It is the same in any country where different races live together

It was not that she didn't like us it was just she had a low opinion of how many dressed and behaved.

Who gives a toss.

Well I certainly do, as would anyone else with the slightest pride in their appearance.

I cannot understand how anyone can go to a restaurant in a singlet, what is the harm of throwing on a comfortable dress shirt?

It’s a sad fact that the worst dressed people in Bangkok and Pattaya are foreigners.

Old Blue Eyes would spin in his grave if he could see some of the scruffs (tramps) that pound the street of Thailand (and I am not talking about Thais).

• Like 1

It was not that she didn't like us it was just she had a low opinion of how many dressed and behaved.

Wouldn't you expect the Thai street vendor to be sweet talking her customers (your wife)? I doubt the vendor would be telling your wife what she really thought of you.

No ,i think she was just commenting that so few westerners dress nicely (and if dressing decently makes me a snob ,then so be it ) personally i do not like when i am in the UK seeing women in Burkas or men dressed in robes ,when in Rome ect)

Wouldn't you expect the Thai street vendor to be sweet talking her customers (your wife)? I doubt the vendor would be telling your wife what she really thought of you.

No ,i think she was just commenting that so few westerners dress nicely (and if dressing decently makes me a snob ,then so be it ) personally i do not like when i am in the UK seeing women in Burkas or men dressed in robes ,when in Rome ect)

Do street vendors dress nicely? I can't say I've ever observed what they wear.

.... it wouldn't take much to beat long pants and thongs though.biggrin.png

Many farangs are a bit underdressed, slobs or just look like bad news. I have also heard Thais commenting on the way farangs look. I don't really care but I would not want many of them dating my sister or hanging out at my house. To each his own but I prefer people who take a little pride in the way they look and act.