An ordinary Thai's impression of us Westerners.

i claudius

The trouble with threads like this is that they're often posted with a "Look at me, I'm the best, I once dressed smartly and all of you in your shorts and flip flops are letting the side down" slant. and they quickly descend into "I'm a better class of expat than you" knob waving contests.....

Okay...now you've got me all self-conscious about the bad hair day I had yesterday, and the Yam chin kai juice spot on my shirt...

They can dress me up, but they can't take me out...

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To each his own....not everyone is a Sex Tourist, some expats have GF's , wives and families and enjoy a full relationship, that's 'gaining the plot, not losing it.

Does having a Thai wife or gf, when you couldn't get one as young, or as attractive, or at all, in your home country make you not a "sex tourist".

When the only thing you bring to the table is your money.

Nice dream, but in no way reality.

The woman I used to date when I lived in Europe, was just as attractive as my Thai girlfriend (shhh), has her masters degree, pleasant, popular and 3 years younger. Some people prefer it here because of the weather (aside from the 14 degree days in Ubon recently), I'm one.

Yep, but you were 30 then, and you're 60 now, those Euro girls would call the police if you looked at them now.

• Like 1

The trouble with threads like this is that they're often posted with a "Look at me, I'm the best, I once dressed smartly and all of you in your shorts and flip flops are letting the side down" slant. and they quickly descend into "I'm a better class of expat than you" knob waving contests.....

Please read the original post and my further posts ,this was NOT against shorts and flip flops ,its a holiday town ,however 1/there are vastly different guys who dress like this ,some are neat and clean ,some look like they just came from a night sleeping rough , and ,again its a big and ,there are some venues where shorts vest and flip flops are not appropriate. don't you agree.

• Like 1

Please read the original post and my further posts ,this was NOT against shorts and flip flops ,its a holiday town ,however 1/there are vastly different guys who dress like this ,some are neat and clean ,some look like they just came from a night sleeping rough , and ,again its a big and ,there are some venues where shorts vest and flip flops are not appropriate. don't you agree.

I did read it and the fact that you allege this woman said in comparison with others she sees, you were so much smarter and the fact she had a low opinion of foreigners wasn't down to you rather than the others she saw was what stood out.

Edited by HeavyDrinker

I did read it and the fact that you allege this woman said in comparison, you were so much smarter than the others she saw was what stood out...

In fact she said i looked like a God , but the wife said not to get to ecited ,it was Bhudda.smile.png

• Like 1

for the record: i am a paying guest in their country and i believe in the old proverb

You should - since you are a guest in their country.

"he who pays the piper calls the tune"

as simple as that.

Exactly how much in Thai income tax did you pay this year?

I'm guessing zero, which means that any money that you did spend was simply for items for your own consumption and comfort, same as it would be in any place on the planet.

I'm also guessing that if it came down to a choice between the piddling sums that you likely spend or having someone with your insulting attitude leave, the Thais would choose for you to be gone.

for the record: the year is not yet over and we have spend (according to my spreadsheet) in Thailand the modest amount of 2,352,852 Baht that includes the salaries and benefits of four employees who's families are depending on that income. as our employees enjoy top salaries, accomodation, perks and a 4-day week you are invited to conduct a survey whether they would choose that the Mrs and my[not so]humble self are gone or whether they'd we prefer that we stay.

correct is that i did not pay any income tax but i estimate the VAT at ~ 115,000 Baht (not all expenses had a VAT liability) plus VAT of 409,500 Baht (purchase of a car) and the peanuts amount of ~32,000 Baht (road tax for our cars).

that's a total of approximately 557,000 Baht tax in 2013 which i would like to compare with the taxes you paid.

now waiting patiently for you to publish the taxes you paid... wai2.gif

Nice try - the all important "we" sticks out in the first sentence.

Never said I paid income tax, although I do pay a healthy amount of VAT and import duties each month.

But that begs the real issue - your very negative attitude toward Thais in general. Does your wife, or do the 4 employees, know that you don't "give a toss" what they think? If so, it must be hard on them to put up with that attitude on a daily basis...

The fact remains that I am a guest in this country - even 30 years after my first visit - and I act accordingly. Many do not...

• Like 2

for the record: i am a paying guest in their country and i believe in the old proverb

You should - since you are a guest in their country.

"he who pays the piper calls the tune"

as simple as that.

Exactly how much in Thai income tax did you pay this year?

I'm guessing zero, which means that any money that you did spend was simply for items for your own consumption and comfort, same as it would be in any place on the planet.

I'm also guessing that if it came down to a choice between the piddling sums that you likely spend or having someone with your insulting attitude leave, the Thais would choose for you to be gone.

for the record: the year is not yet over and we have spend (according to my spreadsheet) in Thailand the modest amount of 2,352,852 Baht that includes the salaries and benefits of four employees who's families are depending on that income. as our employees enjoy top salaries, accomodation, perks and a 4-day week you are invited to conduct a survey whether they would choose that the Mrs and my[not so]humble self are gone or whether they'd we prefer that we stay.

correct is that i did not pay any income tax but i estimate the VAT at ~ 115,000 Baht (not all expenses had a VAT liability) plus VAT of 409,500 Baht (purchase of a car) and the peanuts amount of ~32,000 Baht (road tax for our cars).

that's a total of approximately 557,000 Baht tax in 2013 which i would like to compare with the taxes you paid.

now waiting patiently for you to publish the taxes you paid... wai2.gif

Nice try - the all important "we" sticks out in the first sentence.

Never said I paid income tax, although I do pay a healthy amount of VAT and import duties each month.

But that begs the real issue - your very negative attitude toward Thais in general. Does your wife, or do the 4 employees, know that you don't "give a toss" what they think? If so, it must be hard on them to put up with that attitude on a daily basis...

The fact remains that I am a guest in this country - even 30 years after my first visit - and I act accordingly. Many do not...

i do not

i treat as i find

just as i would anywhere in the world, guest or otherwise

anyone who wants to be a mouse , feel free to squeak up...

• Like 1

To each his own....not everyone is a Sex Tourist, some expats have GF's , wives and families and enjoy a full relationship, that's 'gaining the plot, not losing it.

Does having a Thai wife or gf, when you couldn't get one as young, or as attractive, or at all, in your home country make you not a "sex tourist".

The woman I used to date when I lived in Europe, was just as attractive as my Thai girlfriend (shhh), has her masters degree, pleasant, popular and 3 years younger. Some people prefer it here because of the weather (aside from the 14 degree days in Ubon recently), I'm one.

Yep, but you were 30 then, and you're 60 now, those Euro girls would call the police if you looked at them now.

No, I was a year younger than I am today, this was in 2012, and I'm not 60 for a while yet. I dunno, maybe I remind them of their dad but all but two women I've dated have been younger. When I was 30 I had to card a couple of them. lol

• Like 1

And I view myself as a paying customer in a whorehouse.

I can do what the hell I like, as long as I can pay their price.

I think my analogy is closer to reality than yours. Red Bull anyone?

Edited by FiftyTwo
  • Like 1

I have lived in Thailand for 12 years, as a school teacher and now retired for 5 years. I go out of my way to dress decently and I'm friendly to everyone, saying "Hi" to even people I don't know. I'm highly respected by many Thai's here not only as an elder person, but also a teacher. It's very important what the Thai people think of you especially if you live here fulltime. Most of the time when out shopping I get the Thai price, and when it comes to things like car repairs, I have a very close Thai friend who knows the best places to go to get the best prices, from the friendliest Thai folk. As a foreigner you are a representive of your home country, and it is to your advantage to always show a good face.

I agree. If you're not a citizen, you're a visitor. It's not just about not making your home country look bad, respecting the local culture and customs helps you fit in and get along and you life is easier and more enjoyable.

I'll never forget the five magic words that save me 10%-40% off almost everything I buy " Lot noi, dai mai krap". If I don't get a discount, at least I make them laugh.

• Like 1

I LOVE TV !!!! Maybe one day we should all meet in the boxing ring and beat the living crap out of each other?

It would never happen,

Not enough Tv members fit enough to survive the first swing.

Never mind ,you were young once ,but i am sure you can still dream.

Was this pressed trousers and pressed shirt?

She may have had a different perception had she known the real you and your spelling abilities.

.......and perhaps you could improve your grammar......................."were they pressed trousers and pressed shirt."

• Like 1

I don't think much of poor old women who have to sell food by the roadside with no attempt at hygiene.

(I bet she doesn't wash her hands between going to the toilet and serving food)

In the west they would be considered criminals and forced to move on.

Don't you think its bad when even an old woman who sells food at the side of the road ,looks down on many of the falangs here ? strange.

It will not be as bad as what she thinks of the women hanging out with these scruffy farangs..

• Like 1

It would be interesting to have a thread on what Thai's think about foreigners.
Not just the one's in Patttaya.
But in there defense I was in Starbucks on the beach road and there was a couple selling orange juice out side the shop. When I left I asked how much they said 20 baht the same price I was paying here. I said I will take 5 he put 5 in the bag smiled at me and put another one in.

Being as I live in Thailand I care what they think about us. People who don't care are just giving them selves a license to do what ever they want. That is why they come here because they can't do it back home.

• Like 1

I LOVE TV !!!! Maybe one day we should all meet in the boxing ring and beat the living crap out of each other?

It would never happen,

Not enough Tv members fit enough to survive the first swing.

Never mind ,you were young once ,but i am sure you can still dream.

Off topic now, but I'm a marathon runner, often found in shorts and sports shirt and hugely expensive running shoes (never flip-flops), resting heart rate 48bpm.

I also overheard two Thai ladies at a local market only last year, commenting about me and my two running pals (in our running outfits and dripping with sweat).

"Why don't our husbands have a good shape like these guys, she said pointing to a 35 year old Thai pudding asleep in a camp chair next to them, her friend nodded agreement."

Lots of marathon runners here in Pattaya , do you live here between marathons ?

But in there defense I was in Starbucks on the beach road and there was a couple selling orange juice out side the shop. When I left I asked how much they said 20 baht the same price I was paying here. I said I will take 5 he put 5 in the bag smiled at me and put another one in.

Being as I live in Thailand I care what they think about us. People who don't care are just giving them selves a license to do what ever they want. That is why they come here because they can't do it back home.

since when is thinking, or don't care what other people are thinking, something what an expat can't do back home? does one need a license to think or a license to care a flying fàrt what others think in your home country?

I'm 57 she's 51. I could easily have had a very nice GF in UK but already had a son here in Thailand and a difficult ex wife.

Not everyone requires a teenage GF to be happy or confident in life but so long as you're happy with your choice that's fine, enjoy your breakfast, lunch & dinner.

• Like 1

Didn't care there either biggrin.png

• Like 1

the Lady i used to date at age 34 was 27 years old. at that time she thought i was the perfect gentleman. 2 years later we got married and it couldn't have lasted very long till she found out that her thinking might have been wrong. but she never mentioned anything and during our 34 years of marriage she never called the police. neither when i looked at her nor...

...when i pinch her derrière smile.png

I no longer care what they think of us. I care more about what i think of them....not very much to be honest.

Then why are you here?

I go to thailand because i like it, despite a lot of awful attitude and behaviour from a fair portion of the locals. And given the behavior i often see from the locals i really don't much care what they think of me, especially if the only differentiating feature as far as the locals are concerned is whether we've ironed our T-shirt and trousers.

Id far prefer it if they decided that rather than cheat/attack/abuse or otherwise treat us "farangs" as subhuman they would just stop ironing their trousers instead as their sign of disrespect.

• Like 2