Spotlight on foreign media coverage of Bangkok's crisis

Lite Beer

You gotta love Jonathan Head's piece this morning. From protestors in Bangkok defiantly shaking their fists in the air and shouting "Chaiyo" the scene segues to one of bucolic serenity with ploughed rice fields, banana trees and grazing buffaloes. Suddenly amongst the furrows an attractive, well groomed middle aged woman appears, apparently a farmer. Fortunately for Jonathan she turns out to speak fluent English of the sort that cannot be learned in Thailand's rural state schools. She articlulates to camera the pain of the downtrodden rural poor whose informed views on who should govern the country and how are yet again being cruelly ignored by the elitist anti-democratic protestors of Bangkok. The report closes with a brief lecture from Jonathan on the legality of the caretaker Shinawatra government and the impracticality of reforming the constitution. Off camera we can imagine Jonathan and the part time farm hand repairing to Bangkok in the farm vehicle, a chauffeur driven S-class, and relaxing with a bottle of champagne at the FCCT, while reading Robert Amsterdam's congratulatory text.

I don't know about this lady, but one can sometimes be surprised by what people from Isaan say. My job brings me into contact with plenty of educated people from the region who are mostly critical of Suthep, but occasionally it is the remarks of ordinary people that stick in one's mind. I flew back to Europe on Sunday and (though I don't usually tell taxi driver stories) was intrigued by what my driver on the airport run said. He was a 36 year-old from a central Isaan city and spoke better English than most of the Thai academics and doctoral students that I come across. Perhaps rather predictably he was upset about Khun Suthep's demands, but caught my attention by mentioning his disappointment that the big infrastructure investment programme won't now go ahead, his lack of understanding of why the protesters do not respect the law, and his perception of different rules for different people. He told me he had been turned down for university when he was younger, but irrespective of whether one agreed or disagreed with his views, he clearly had a considered position on the issues and was surprisingly articulate in laying it out.

Edited by citizen33

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'The lack of depth and research in most possibly indicates the lack of real interest in Thailand.' A quote from a previous post. Really, I was given to believe that Thailand was the centre of the sentient world, and that external opinions/views/personal and political standards were not apllicable here when they conflict with 'Thainess'. Is 'Thainess' the inability to take responsibility for one's own actions? To admit an error?

I had to search the western media for reports on Thailand. When I found reports they were very basic. There was nothing proclaiming that 'Thainess' seems to mean the acceptance of a very corrupt feudal structure and that one-man-one-vote democracy does not fit comfortably in this structure.One side has the political power of vast numbers of ill educated (not their fault) voters, the other has little political power (not enough votes) but the support of the 'educated', the 'elite' and rich, so wields great fiscal/administrative/military power . No mention that stability of the country is held together by the love of the people for the current King. I can see no short term answer to the current problems, long term would be to vastly improve the 'education' system, instil basic concepts of honesty and truth into Thai society from kindergarten upwards. I fear that the situation will deteriorate , possibly even a civil war, before Thailand , as a nation starts to extract itself from the cesspit if incestuous corruption it is decending into.

The western feeling towards Thailand is very similar to most powerful Thais.

I couldn't give a dam as long as it doesn't effect me. Why should the west give a dam if the Thais insist on playing with themselves debating what type of democracy they want.

The fact they even debate it shows how childish they are. There is no Thai democracy, no Asian version, no democracy with rules to make it more palatable.

There is democracy. A concept, an idea and a process to govern by the will of the people.

So is it any wonder the west really couldn't care less? They listen to Suthep or yingluck for 10 minutes and realise they are capable of ideas much the same as 12 year olds.

What the west cares about should not interfere with reporting the truth. I have received two phone calls from my Boy in Vancouver B C Canada. He bought a ticket for February to come to Thailand and is wondering if it is safe. Obviously the foreign press is misrepresenting the situation here the same as the posters who come on here and do not want to make the election system honest just keep it the way it is.

If they knew the truth of the situation here they would tune Yingluck out real quick and pay attention to Suthep. They would never agree to vote buying as an accepted practice. Maybe in your country but not in the USA and Canada.

The problem is, Head and others who are reporting from Thailand would not be able to tell all the details even if they knew them (which I am not convinced they do).

He cant reveal the direct support that Suthep is getting from "certain people" on high. He cant directly discuss the roots of the class system in Thailand. The fact that such subjects are banned is a huge advantage to Suthep.

Even on this forum not all the details are allowed to be discussed. To be honest the best appraisal of the real story can be obtained by mixing with the "connected" Thai community outside of Thailand where they are allowed to discuss openly. The fact is, those "in the know" who are best placed to know the full situation unanimously consider Suthep is a means to an end, the end being reclamation of government by the upper class backed by "those on high", using military force, a situation which they are dreading.

I cant believe that some foreigners on this forum actually support the protesters. They either dont know all the details, or they are stupid. I would also bet that 99% of those on the streets dont understand the full situation either.

Well the Thai communities in the states sure let Thaksin know what they thought of him.

Not sure what you are saying here

"I cant believe that some foreigners on this forum actually support the protesters. They either dont know all the details, or they are stupid. I would also bet that 99% of those on the streets dont understand the full situation either."

Are you saying you support vote buying?

The foreign media has never had, and will never have anything more than a very small effect on what actually happens in Thai politics. Suthep's comments of we don't respect farangs is something that I've always read to mean we don't respect "foreign opinions of Thailand in the media" and that is the attitude of most Thais I know.

Funny isn't it. They don't care that they keep making the country and themselves look like a nest of thieves.

I mean honestly, everyone groans when they talk of Zimbabwe. I suppose it's because they have controlled the will of the people so well, that they keep smiling whenever the system nicks another baht from everyone's pocket.

Just look at it. Suthep is seen as a saviour from corruption.

Kind of tells us how corrupt Thailand has become.

Check it out

http://cpi.transparency.org/cpi2013/results/

Pay attention to the graph that shows the sharp rise in corruption after 2006 until Abhist managed to stop the climb and once he was out it continued up.

Cartalucci is a real world class reporter and now he has shot overnight to Michael Moore status with his deep analysis into the greatest ever coup of smiles story on planet earth - Cartalucci clears the smoke created by others so we can see clearer clap2.gif

The man you refer to has never been a journalist. He is a blogger. Michael Moore makes movies.

Unless you meant the smiley as satire and in that case I'm sorry.

Hahahaha go on old mate.. Real in another one...

Do you get a commission?

What the west cares about should not interfere with reporting the truth. I have received two phone calls from my Boy in Vancouver B C Canada. He bought a ticket for February to come to Thailand and is wondering if it is safe. Obviously the foreign press is misrepresenting the situation here the same as the posters who come on here and do not want to make the election system honest just keep it the way it is.

If they knew the truth of the situation here they would tune Yingluck out real quick and pay attention to Suthep. They would never agree to vote buying as an accepted practice. Maybe in your country but not in the USA and Canada.

You wrote, "Obviously the foreign press is misrepresenting the situation here the same as the posters who come on here and do not want to make the election system honest just keep it the way it is."

Who wants to make the election honest? A link please. Or did you make that up?

'The lack of depth and research in most possibly indicates the lack of real interest in Thailand.' A quote from a previous post. Really, I was given to believe that Thailand was the centre of the sentient world, and that external opinions/views/personal and political standards were not apllicable here when they conflict with 'Thainess'. Is 'Thainess' the inability to take responsibility for one's own actions? To admit an error?

I had to search the western media for reports on Thailand. When I found reports they were very basic. There was nothing proclaiming that 'Thainess' seems to mean the acceptance of a very corrupt feudal structure and that one-man-one-vote democracy does not fit comfortably in this structure.One side has the political power of vast numbers of ill educated (not their fault) voters, the other has little political power (not enough votes) but the support of the 'educated', the 'elite' and rich, so wields great fiscal/administrative/military power . No mention that stability of the country is held together by the love of the people for the current King. I can see no short term answer to the current problems, long term would be to vastly improve the 'education' system, instil basic concepts of honesty and truth into Thai society from kindergarten upwards. I fear that the situation will deteriorate , possibly even a civil war, before Thailand , as a nation starts to extract itself from the cesspit if incestuous corruption it is decending into.

The western feeling towards Thailand is very similar to most powerful Thais.

I couldn't give a dam as long as it doesn't effect me. Why should the west give a dam if the Thais insist on playing with themselves debating what type of democracy they want.

The fact they even debate it shows how childish they are. There is no Thai democracy, no Asian version, no democracy with rules to make it more palatable.

There is democracy. A concept, an idea and a process to govern by the will of the people.

So is it any wonder the west really couldn't care less? They listen to Suthep or yingluck for 10 minutes and realise they are capable of ideas much the same as 12 year olds.

Well news is news and protests in bangkok aren't really that worthy. They are becoming like the Glastonbury festival.

As for tuning out vote buying, seems obviously the western media has really done a bad job of explaining the nature of corruption by pro and the democrats over the years.

By the way what do you mean my country? If you are in Canada I think you will find we share a head of state.

Edited by Thai at Heart

• 2 months later...

I google this guy and found http://www.globalresearch.ca/thailand-bbc-attempts-to-justify-terrorism/5370632

smallquote "BBC plums new depths with dishonest coverage of Thai crisis and attempted justification of expanding pro-regime terror campaign.

The BBC has once again attempted to manipulate public perception regarding world events, this time in Thailand where the Western-backed regime of Thaksin Shinawatra had announced, and is now in the process of carrying out, a deadly campaign of terrorism aimed at growing dissent sweeping the country."

click the link to read a strange story and now me is thinking are they doing what they do in Thailand in Africa too?