Chinese tourism in Thailand: 'Finally, we are seeing the world'

Up north we have a large tourist facility adjacent to some land we own. Almost 50% of the tourists using the facility are now Chinese from the PRC. Sometimes they come in large groups and, like all large groups of tourists, tend to be loud and boisterous and rather stingy as large groups tend to attract the lower income budget travelers. More often these days they come in very small groups or as indivduals and honeymooners. These folks are well liked by the people working in the facility, and they report that the Chinese in these smaller groups spend more on the optional extras than do the Farang tourists. Instead of watching the lowest common denominator Chinese tourist who ends up in Pattaya, check out the Chinese tourists on the Sunday "walking street" market in Chiang Mai and you might get a very different opinion, and a postive opinion of the future of Chinese tourism in the Kingdom.

• Like 1

Most individual Chinese travelers I have met always seemed friendly and well mannered and tend to be younger and well educated. The group tours from China usually consist of squatting peasants from Shaanxi or folks just out to get the cheapest holiday possible, really not the most ideal clientele from any nation. Probably the worst group tours I have ever encountered have been Germans who think the world belongs to them and as individual travelers- the Israelis are the most universally disliked by people in the Thai tourist industry (except for others Thais).

Yesterday dropping off laundry with always smiling youngish woman who operates a generally busy wash-and-dry next to hotel at which I stay. Over the past couple months we exchanged very few words. Never much went beyond usual pleasantries and my request to lay off the perfumed softener. Yesterday she exits her place to accept laundry hand-off, smiling like usual. Literally the first words out of her mouth: "I hate Chinese people." I'm like, "Oh, really?" She adds, "I don't want them to come here anymore."

Edited by Wordworx

Much the same thing was said about Japanese, Koreans, Taiwanese just 20 years ago. Now they are very highly sought after. The Chinese deserve a break...often this is the first overseas trip for them, of course they are unfamiliar with things. Their 'odd' cultural habits are not meant to offend anyone, they do not realise that some things are best not done in public.

After living in China I see that the good Chinese were mostly killed off by Mao and the Cultural Revolution. Civilized behavior, being considerate of others, etc., were seen as signs of kowtowing to westerners. So the civilized ones were killed off or re-educated, and the pig-like behavior of Chinese inside and outside of China is the natural result of what happened. Think of them as people who crawled out of a cave directly into a BMW and skipped the intermediary stages of evolution.

That applies to the hi so ones anyways; working class ones are by and large good considerate people IME, but they don't travel.

Edited by squarethecircle

Well the 16 people who sank along with the speedboat in Phuket Chalong Pier yesterday will see the world in a different light now.

They'll be saying 'We all velly lucky no die in overloaded Thai boat and driver no runaway'.

China is huge country, so we're likely to all have varying anecdotes even among PRC Chinese.

Chinese are from almost all parts of Asia (Chinese Diaspora) - Singapore Chinese, Hong Kong Chinese, PRC Chinese (of more than 50 varying ethnic groups), Malaysian Chinese, Taiwanese Chinese (though they may disagree), etc. would all tend to fill varying stereotypes.

Varying age groups and generational tendencies across.

Varying socio-economic strata which some have pointed out.

-- a bit off, but to the poster who asked if Chinese men are laying with the Issan girls, I would imagine if we identify the correct demographic within the Chinese travellers, we will find a good number who do. However, having been to Shanghai and Guandong, Chinese hookers are, in my opinion, a world away sexier and do their hookering far better than their lazier Thai female counterparts.

tongue.png

• Like 2

China is huge country, so we're likely to all have varying anecdotes even among PRC Chinese.

Chinese are from almost all parts of Asia (Chinese Diaspora) - Singapore Chinese, Hong Kong Chinese, PRC Chinese (of more than 50 varying ethnic groups), Malaysian Chinese, Taiwanese Chinese (though they may disagree), etc. would all tend to fill varying stereotypes.

-- a bit off, but to the poster who asked if Chinese men are laying with the Issan girls, I would imagine if we identify the correct demographic within the Chinese travellers, we will find a good number who do. However, having been to Shanghai and Guandong, Chinese hookers are, in my opinion, a world away sexier and do their hookering far better than their lazier Thai female counterparts.

tongue.png

Are you confessing to indulging in some 'hookering' activities whilst in China Paully? biggrin.png

• Like 1

I did a six month job just outside Bicester in Oxfordshire a couple of years back. It was the oddest thing. Coach loads and I mean loads of Chinese people in Bicester. Many spoke perfect English almost with a home counties accent. They also seemed rather well to do sorts.

I couldn't figure this out.

Bicester Retail Outlet Village!!! It's a row of overpriced shops selling handbags and trinket like stuff, it's next door to the Tesco supermarket.

Apparently Chinese people fly in from China and go to this row of shops, most leaving rather disappointed. Utterly weird phenomenon.

I got a nice Chinese fellow working for me, he's 25 I think. He says the Chinese are rude and noisy, LOL, his very own words and on some of trips around 'amazing' Thailand, I got to agree with him.

Americans were still ranked the least popular foreign tourists by five different countries, including, tellingly, by Americans themselves. Brits and Germans fared little better. cheesy.gif

I got some time to kill –

Based in Beijing for 4.5 years, I traveled all over the country, including remote Tibet and far West Xinjiang. About 56 different ethnic groups, depending upon how you figure. Very different people. The complaints are about the majority, the Han. And those complaints are as common in country as when they travel beyond their borders. Even the Han don't like the Han. My enlightened Chinese acquaintances, those who have lived, traveled and studied abroad, will back me up on this. Now standby for more gross generalizations --

Disregard for others is the norm. This is plainly evident on a daily basis; in the stores, on the streets, in the office, at the bars... And you have not lived until you sit there, unable to intervene, as a middle-aged newly middle-class broad viciously berates the poor migrant worker waitress serving her and her fat family and/or associates. Like this hapless, powerless little girl making a few bucks a day is somehow responsible for the overall operation of the restaurant. Right, happens in the west, too. But abuse of those deemed to be of a *lower class* is just a regular deal for the Han (Manchu, too, for that matter).

They get off on that sort of stuff. It is the rule, not the exception. They have little regard for their contemporaries -- when their backs are turned. And those in a lesser (class) position just expect to be verbally abused, cheated out of wages and just generally sh-t on each and every day of their lives.

Add to that the fact that dishonesty is integral to their daily system of oral communication. Lying to coworkers, friends, family and, I would assume, one's spouse, is just assumed. A lot of it goes down under the cover of "face-saving". They just flat-out lie to each other's face -- giving as good as they get.

And so, in accordance with that overall societal dishonesty, screwing the other guy is kind of an expected MO. For instance, I don't think one expat I know was ever returned their lease deposit in full with no problems. Even if the apartment is vacated in pristine condition, the landlord suddenly becomes impossible to reach. Or they will have a middleman, like some A-hole overgrown child of a son, who maybe "speaks more English", step in and run interference until the expat must leave the city or country. (No, not me personally. I outmaneuvered my landlord and her lying rental agent. But they gave it a good shot.)

No big surprise: You can experience a crescendo of hate for the Han in Tibet and Xinjiang. Still, our Tibetan guide kept his mouth shut about the Han. Said the Muslims jizzed in their bread dough, though.

Edited by Wordworx

My friends in hospitality do not like Chinese tourists. They say the Chinese are demanding, cheap, and loud.

I have not seen Chinese acting like that, so I take it with a grain of salt. Then again, I take everything with a grain of salt, including my own assumptions.

thumbsup.gif

I guess the only thing worse that Chinese tourists is no Chinese tourists. The Thai government is doing its best to

get rid of zero baht tourists. The complaints of no Chinese tourists is just starting. cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

tongue.png

Seconded. I lived in Anhui and Shanghai for 5 years. Chinese girls are much sexier and better with it..

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Personally I think the worst thing that has happened to international travel and tourism in the surge in Chinese tourists. Most are crude and rude and totally self centered with no respect for fellow tourists nor their hosts.

Are these hi-so tourists from China contributing to the Isaan economy by nailing walking street bar girls?

Or are they just tour groups being herded around in buses from stop to stop for a quick photo op?

There are a lot of tourist buses around the soapies at 2nd road in Pattaya. I guess they prefer that niche. Or just don't know how to act independently on walking street.

Chinese tourists have been voted the worlds worst for manners and noise , ever stayed in a hotel when a mob of Chinese tourists arrive, they are noisy , rude and most don't even know how to work a lift , this caused some laughter at the hotel I lived at in HK couple years back.bah.gif

I was staying in a hotel in BKK awhile back ago and this one Chinese couple across from us was letting their boy run up and down the hallway screaming at 6 AM till roughly 6:30 when I finally had enough and ripped them a new one in Mandarin (I worked in China for 5 years). The family promptly left the hotel for the day and I didn't hear another peep out of them.

Edited by nomad127

In 2012 the Chinese overtook Americans and Germans as the world's top international tourism spenders, heading off on 83m foreign trips and spending $102bn

yes but this silly journalist forget to add, that per per capita, western people do spend still more than chinese tourist group.

She also forget to add, that the rich chinese tourist are holidaying in Paris, Roma or Monaco certainly not on koh larn beach...

YES, and everyone forgets that Foreign residents bring in much more than the tourists, yet there is no ministry for foreign residents and no bending over backward to make their stay easier.

They have a lot to learn from farang: steal the batteries from the tv remote control, ask for upgrade because 'on honeymoon' , steal the toilet paper, bargain with a vendor over 2 baht, etc etc etc

'Thai bashing' is not allowed on this forum, but a red shirt 'Farang bashing' is acceptable behavior ? Just asking coffee1.gif

They have a lot to learn from farang: steal the batteries from the tv remote control, ask for upgrade because 'on honeymoon' , steal the toilet paper, bargain with a vendor over 2 baht, etc etc etc

'Thai bashing' is not allowed on this forum, but a red shirt 'Farang bashing' is acceptable behavior ? Just asking coffee1.gif

Yeah, all new to me... "Steal the toilet paper"? I'd hate to hear what the "etc etc etc"s are. Eat the soi dogs, maybe?

Yeah, all new to me... "Steal the toilet paper"? I'd hate to hear what the "etc etc etc"s are. Eat the soi dogs, maybe?

I was just quoting from hospitality industry sources. It seems the batteries from the remote control is quite common. There is a certain mindset that, having paid for a hotel room, some people believe that everything in it is fair game.

On the matter of Chinese tourists, it can only be good that they are getting out to see something of the world. The next generation will become more independent and travel more widely rather than in groups. Good for Thailand if more come (but not on the cheap scam shopping trips of the past couple of years).

I was just quoting from hospitality industry sources. It seems the batteries from the remote control is quite common. There is a certain mindset that, having paid for a hotel room, some people believe that everything in it is fair game.

On the matter of Chinese tourists, it can only be good that they are getting out to see something of the world. The next generation will become more independent and travel more widely rather than in groups. Good for Thailand if more come (but not on the cheap scam shopping trips of the past couple of years).

Wow. I don't doubt your sources, but that's gotta be some pretty low-budget accommodations. I can't imagine a farang with even an iota of self-respect wanting to get busted on checkout for swiping batteries from the remote. But then, again, some real deadbeats running around this country.

Indeed, given a generation (barring *inhibiting* global events), the traveling Chinese may improve. But now their rep is well deserved (as a generalization). Even in the best of hotels in China, before they allow you to check out housekeeping must inspect the rooms for missing items (credit card on file no matter). That's not a laowai-specific standard. It is standard procedure because many mainlanders just can't help themselves. When Taiwan opened up to mainlanders a few years back the Taiwanese tourism / hotel industry freaked out. The mainlanders were stealing everything not bolted down. Not to mention burning holes into the carpets and scorching surfaces with their butts, spitting on the floor, that sort of thing. Same in HK.

A couple months ago upon arrival a flight in China could not discharge their mainland passengers because those passengers were under the impression they could keep the silverware. And they would not give it up. Personal experience: A few years back at Pudong International my connecting flight to KL was nearly three hours late, finally they assigned another aircraft. Reason, we finally discovered, is because that would-be connecting flight coming in was about 20 minutes late arriving and the mainlander group on board heard that if a plane is late, they get a full refund. They refused to disembark until they were refunded in full in cash. Aircraft was still sitting there when we took off, so not sure how that turned out.

Just sayin'.

Edited by Wordworx
  • Like 1