December and where is everybody?

eyecatcher

With the current unrest in BKK, I surmise there are many repeat visitors to Thailand who remember all too well the shutdown of the airport in August 2008, which caused them many problems. People who can't afford such disruptions have long memories and are thinking twice about coming to LOS this high season.

Just tried to book a hotel from 30th to 5th Jan. and agoda.com only showed about 10 hotels available. Normally there are hundreds. Must be a little busy in Chiang Mai ...

I just did an identical search and it listed 22. Maybe it's a Mac thing. The Canadian and Aussie heads, err I mean currencies have deflated quite a bit this year, that can really take away a lot of enthusiasm for travelling abroad.

I read somewhere that the Chinese govt had cut back on tour groups to Thailand due to some sort of problem.

Apocryphal information mesquite thanks for the detailed post. Where did you say you read it and what again is the problem

Probably referring to the Thai's putting the brakes on a popular tour program by China for Thailand. The Chinese tour groups promote "zero baht tours:, where the Chinese pay for everything in China that includes all tours, food, transportation, flights. They then are told they do not need to spend anything while they are here. I have to feel a lot of that money does enter Thailand, but Thailand does not think so, and it limiting how many of these groups are allowed in. I say let them in. They can't bring that many cigarettes in their luggage, and will spend another $300 on buying those here.

OP, thanks for the very interesting post. Unfortunately, there are SO many things that affect your business that it is very hard to understand why one thing or other is the problem.

One: Local trade. Purely anecdotal, but I know of a couple of restaurants in your area which are doing "ok."

Two: China. First, I know nothing about government policy changes in China nor have seen any evidence (first hand) of that, but do not doubt that people in China as elsewhere read the Bangkok headline news. Remember that inexperienced travelers (such as the Chinese) are generally much more cautious than those who have traveled more and who know how to read past television headlines. Otherwise, I wonder if the Chinese are not heading further south by air. After all, it is more than a little cool here, and if you are going to go to Thailand in the cold season, wouldn't you pick the beaches at this time of year? Also, consider the Chinese new year this year. It is early, 31 January. So, since that is very much a required trip home, then perhaps you might consider a trip abroad at some another time. Then, consider the impact of that really awful movie, Lost in Thailand. After a while, the impact of a popular movie wears off.

Others: This time, people abroad remember that political extremists actually closed down an airport in the past! That's enough to chill plans, I would think. A vacation from Europe or the Americas is not inexpensive, and people have limited vacation time. Why spend it in lines at airport counters waiting for flights?

That isn't all of it, of course. Otherwise, it seems there is a fair amount of vehicular traffic in town. There are a few Bangkok and other provincial plates.

All the above, of course, is pure speculation with minimal first-hand evidence. OP, I wish you well! And all those who depend upon tourism, even though it seems to be leading to a gross over-commercialization of Chiang Mai --- and that, not to wish anyone working hard to be successful, is very sad. The "rose of the North" seems to be becoming a commercial weed.

A vacation from Europe or the Americas is not inexpensive

That will be news to many people. As far as being cold here in Thailand, I just got back from China two days ago. That was cold with temperature getting down to 5 Celsius. This is still balmy beach weather here, although that is not what the Chinese come here for. They just love their non-stop tours of following the person with the flag.

We have....let's say the fastest growing client base, the best value for money place, and the only place now adopted by the health authority to advise on quality and standards to other similar businesses wanting to start up.

..... so does that mean you are not going to expand over to Loi Kroh? biggrin.png

I just came back from a week in Phuket on a diving live aboard. The boat was fully booked with tourists, Maya Bay in Phi Phi was jammed with speedboats and the streets of Phuket town were crowded with people I asked the boat operator what his business was doing and he said it is fully booked. Here in Chiang Mai the streets seem teeming with tourists and the night market was full a couple weeks ago.

I guess it all depends where your business is located and how the foot traffic is in that area. I don't know about airlines reducing flights to BKK but the flight both to and from Phuket to CM was fully booked.

Heh. I picked up people on a flight from Guangzhou yesterday, and the list of international arrivals at CNX is longer than it's ever been. If there are fewer tour groups and more independent travellers then that's great, no matter the nationality. Really busy around town too. Truly a high season this year.

Well normal service resumed here on friday. A very busy weekend for us.....but you know we haven't had one chinese customer.

I did write the thread towards the end of last week as many of us were clearly bored with some of the topics running

So in conclusion i would say just a post loy krathong and the politics blip.

So off to the bank again today and recruiting again.

Happy days are here again.

Happy xmas everyone

Sent via tin can and string after pigeon shot

• Like 2

Gone to a warmer climate?

Angkor Wat/Siem Reap. Its packed with Chines and others..

Well, that's different. Angkor Wat is one of the magnificent places in the world that is a must visit, well worth a chilly 5am start to see the sunrise over it. It's not like traipsing around a few insignificant temples that all look

the same after a while.

Last week was out for a ride to Chiang Dao and visit a friend who owns a restaurant their, they were complaining bitterly about the drastic down-swing in tourist numbers and speculated that the travel trend here is a-chang'n......."Thailand is finished" he concluded, saying that travellers have discovered the "other" countries where goods & services along with cultural experience may hold better value for the dollar.

Not sure if that is a factual or reactive view point,but cyclic-patterns can be found in all phenomena,including tourism and those "other" countries,or neighbors, are no longer the have-nots.....the Welcome-Mat is out with open arms & doors.

Living in a localized context in CM Iam,by default out of the tourist-loop but from time to time get into that loop either as host or roast and usually come out of it disappointed and even steamed (as was a recent trip to MHSbah.gif ).... so in some small ways I can understand that perhaps there is a massive conscious shift away from Thailand,effected from the depreciating value of experience and the soap box of social media...... as the old saying goes..."some of the people some of the time....but".... Next stop, Rangoon!wink.png

Last week was out for a ride to Chiang Dao and visit a friend who owns a restaurant their, they were complaining bitterly about the drastic down-swing in tourist numbers and speculated that the travel trend here is a-chang'n......."Thailand is finished" he concluded, saying that travellers have discovered the "other" countries where goods & services along with cultural experience may hold better value for the dollar.

Not sure if that is a factual or reactive view point,but cyclic-patterns can be found in all phenomena,including tourism and those "other" countries,or neighbors, are no longer the have-nots.....the Welcome-Mat is out with open arms & doors.

Living in a localized context in CM Iam,by default out of the tourist-loop but from time to time get into that loop either as host or roast and usually come out of it disappointed and even steamed (as was a recent trip to MHSbah.gif ).... so in some small ways I can understand that perhaps there is a massive conscious shift away from Thailand,effected from the depreciating value of experience and the soap box of social media...... as the old saying goes..."some of the people some of the time....but".... Next stop, Rangoon!wink.png

Where classy $30 a night hotels are now $90

Yangon 10-15 years ago was a bargain, not any more.

• Like 2

They were mobbing the Lampang ceramic shops the other day all in their shiny silver tourist vans.

Gone to a warmer climate?

Angkor Wat/Siem Reap. Its packed with Chines and others..

Well, that's different. Angkor Wat is one of the magnificent places in the world that is a must visit, well worth a chilly 5am start to see the sunrise over it. It's not like traipsing around a few insignificant temples that all look

the same after a while.

Wait you may see them Christmas caroling on Loi Khro..

• Like 1

Most people adapt to their surroundings.

I am not leaving Thailand because of a changing tourism demographic.

Most of us have made our beds and now we must lie in them.

..and how many of us are often thinking of the next big money making venture, I give it a thought every day....even inspired by us lot on here who can't get something ( big shoes, big grundy underpants, countersinking bits, fan heaters,garden fork)

Life is a challenge and more so in a different country.

Here's to chiang mai (holds aloft the trusty Chang and down in one)

:rolleyes:

Sent via tin can and string after pigeon shot

• Like 1