Would an annuity count towards the Retirement visa 'pension' requirement amount?

If you are a US citizen you "declare " the amount that you are receiving from overseas in a sworn affidavit. All income from overseas qualifies. There is no proof required as it is a sworn statement notarized by the Embassy and must be done in person. However, some immigration offices are requiring proof in addition to the income affidavit from the Embassy.

For an annuity, the supporting document would be a letter from the financial institution that makes the payments to you confirming the amount being paid. (Haven't been able to figure out what "SIPA from the USA" means in the context of your post)

For an annuity, the supporting document would be a letter from the financial institution that makes the payments to you confirming the amount being paid. (Haven't been able to figure out what "SIPA from the USA" means in the context of your post)

Single Premium Immediate Annuity = SIPA. (Yeah, I know the words don't actually spell out SIPA.)

.......well could i just pay myself 'income' from my assets monthly by say, transferring the amount to my Bangkok Bank monthly ?

If you are a US citizen you "declare " the amount that you are receiving from overseas in a sworn affidavit. All income from overseas qualifies. There is no proof required as it is a sworn statement notarized by the Embassy and must be done in person. However, some immigration offices are requiring proof in addition to the income affidavit from the Embassy.

.......so does the income have to actually be deposited in a Thai Bank? or only if it is not some regular stream, then you are swearing to what ? What about a combination of an annuity + regular deposits to a Thai Bank , would that work ?

.......seems to me there are some benefits in using the income qualification vs. the lump sum deposit method....

The way I see it, an annuity payment works the same way as a pension payment does. There is no requirement of evidence showing that this income is deposited in a Thai bank account. However, the immigration office may want to see some evidence that your are spending money coming from abroad, to preclude the possibility that you are living on income from illegal work in Thailand. A savings account book showing incoming remittances from abroad and withdrawals in Thailand or ATM slips for withdrawals from your foreign account will be satisfactory.

The substance here is correct but the actual word on the US Embassy income affidavit is 'affirm' -- not 'declare'.

The income requirements for extensions based on retirement are subject to the requirements of your embassy. Thai immigration usually accept the embassy letter plus a copy of the letter from your home country authority saying that you are on a pension. They'll likely want to see the original of that too, but they'll only keep the copy. Immigration offices vary in their application of the rules, so take some backup information like copies of bank statements, etc, but don't produce it unless asked. wink.png

Edited by jpinx

Your advice is good, jpinx. The general idea is that everything you declare or affirm on the "embassy letter" must be true, must correspond to the facts, and that you should carry the supporting documents with you when visiting the immigration office for your application for extension of stay but present them only when requested to do so.

has anyone ever used a combination of annuity/pension + Thai Bank monthly deposit book to produce to immigration to get to the needed amount?

It's your embassy that will need to accept what you produce as proof of income, since they are the ones "certifying" it for the benefit of the immigration office. The immigration office will usually accept the embassy letter and proof from your home country that you actually are a pensioner. See my answer above..... ;)

has anyone ever used a combination of annuity/pension + Thai Bank monthly deposit book to produce to immigration to get to the needed amount?

You can do a combination of income and money in a Thai bank to reach a total of 800k baht. For example if your total annual income was 700k baht you would have to have 100k baht in the bank on the date you apply (proven by a letter from bank).

You can do a combination of income and money in a Thai bank to reach a total of 800k baht. For example if your total annual income was 700k baht you would have to have 100k baht in the bank on the date you apply (proven by a letter from bank).

I've always viewed the combination method as twice as much hassle. You need to do the leg work for both methods. Having said that, it appears to work for some people. The OP did state ".. Thai Bank monthly deposit book..." so I assumed he is talking about income, not savings. Ambiguity rools KO ;)

Edited by jpinx

I've always viewed the combination method as twice as much hassle. You need to do the leg work for both methods. Having said that, it appears to work for some people. The OP did state ".. Thai Bank monthly deposit book..." so I assumed he is talking about income, not savings. Ambiguity rools KO ;)

I was telling him that income letter and monthly deposits combined will not be accepted to reach income.