Bangkok overrun by huge protest

webfact

Perhaps a long shot, but my guess is that there will be a military "national interest" gov.t in place on feb 2nd. or few days after.

That will be accepted by both parties while trying to find a way out and possibly making changes to their visible leadership.

New elections will be called for some months later, at that point the Dem will not be in a position to boycott again and will have try to win power with votes not bullying.

Edited by paz
  • Like 1

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bangkok Post said the security officials have estimated 270,000, and we all know being in the control of the government that the quote will be definitely played down.

So was it the big million + ??

Possibly.

Bluesky was reporting 3.5 million. police reported 135,000. so somewhere int he middle is probably correct. I would say about a million or more!

So, it is a world record!

""Whoever wants to go inside to register will have to pass through us," he said.

"If we do not hold the country by February 2, we will shut the country down. No one will go to vote," he added."

Did Suthep really say this? I know the APP seems to take a pro govt line in most of its stories, but they don't make stuff up. Suthep's authoritarian, PT like attitude of "my way is the only way" is getting worse. Man's barking mad and gorged on power, dangerous combination. He will be no better than PT and their red stormtroopers if he carries out these threats.

Suthep is acting very foolishly. The problem is that as everybody knows, Thailand's future hinges on the reaching, or just approaching, a nexus-point of consensus between rich/poor urban/rural. Problem number two, this is the bigger problem, and the one which Suthep's mad scheme totally does not factor in, is that the rural majority want democratic votes, they are the majority and also the serf class and so they feel that having their votes respected is very important. Suthep overturning the elected Govt and essentially spitting on all those casted votes, is going to cause immensely bad feelings around the nation.

On a practical level, yes Yingluck is no good, yes Thaksin should face additional massmurder charges for the 2500 deaths he ordered, and his nepotistic plundering of the State Fund, there is no dispute from me. But what was good is that PTP were voted for, got into power, and so their supporters put down the pitchforks and said "ok we've got our electoral rights now" etc. And they then started gradually criticising their own PTP members for failing, which is totally natural healthy democracy, and heading in the right direction. Suthep derailed that slow but natural process. The rural / poor thinking that it was great they had got Government's ear, but they didn't like their leadership, for failing to improve infrastructure etc. So they would put more internal pressure on PTP to act like a political party not just insurgents. This is very slow process. Meantime, Dems were gaining popularity also from the PTP failing.

The problems can all be solved without any of the Suthep stuff.

Re; Yingluck abuse of the policy-making machinery, can all be solved by Parliamentary reform, Parliament as a concept is a fluid system which invites augmentation to "get around" nation-specific difficulties, overhauling the mechanisms relating to the power balance of the various parties, their floor-time, and also the policy queueing system of which needs to be regulated by an external body. Thaksin passport issue should never reach the debate floor, especially during flood crisis as it did, that is just ridiculous. This can be solved by strictly regulating policy-submission and queueing. Those reforms take a long time, it also takes a long time for radical new parties such as PTP to settle into more progressive models. Especially as they began as a hero-worship cult. But you have to work with the materials you've got.

However, to scrap the whole process above, and just say "your votes don't matter" (paraphrasing Suthep's conceptual Assembly idea) is inviting disaster. I hope to be proved wrong on all this.

coffee1.gif

edit: mister coffee & typos

The ultimate clincher for all of this depends completely on whether ptp and the reds can muster enough people nation wide in order to fight.

That is all that is left. If the reds won't fight, Suthep wins. Then if the reds do fight, can they overcome the army and will the army fight.

That's it. Simple. There won't be a valid election. No way, Suthep can't risk it.

• Like 2

Here we go again!!thumbsup.gif Another thread where posters are fighting each other about who are "the rightest of the right". Most of them sadly with limited knowledge of Thai society as a whole and even less when it comes to politics!! But good entertainment!!coffee1.gif

May I suggest a solution to the political divide:

post-137512-0-95225400-1387760785_thumb.

Bye bye amart!!

• Like 2

Looks like failed politico Suthep does not want elections. He wants to seize power.

Another mad man using similar language managed to manipulated the people in a country with the highest level of general knowledge, science and technology of the time. Hitler was elected to office by the overwhelming voting majority of Germans. His speeches containing trigger phrases such as the "struggle of the people" and "power to the people" are similar to the language Suthep is using now to rouse Thais. It speaks volumes of the Thai mindset and character. They seem prone to become blind drones for one side or the other.

Why is it that in a country where vote buying (from all sides) is a tradition, a Democrat does not want elections but to seize power?

Those who believe what Suthep said about retiring from politics are in deep denial of the obvious. They might as well join the hordes of his drones.

They are certainly buying of votes on both sides ... the difference is only that the red ones are purchasing their very cheap.

Looks like failed politico Suthep does not want elections. He wants to seize power.

Another mad man using similar language managed to manipulated the people in a country with the highest level of general knowledge, science and technology of the time. Hitler was elected to office by the overwhelming voting majority of Germans. His speeches containing trigger phrases such as the "struggle of the people" and "power to the people" are similar to the language Suthep is using now to rouse Thais. It speaks volumes of the Thai mindset and character. They seem prone to become blind drones for one side or the other.

Why is it that in a country where vote buying (from all sides) is a tradition, a Democrat does not want elections but to seize power?

Those who believe what Suthep said about retiring from politics are in deep denial of the obvious. They might as well join the hordes of his drones.

Hitler never obtained more than 40% of the vote, he was appointed German Chancellor on the basis that he led the largest party.

• Like 2

Having FAILED to remove the govt by any of his moving feasts of final, absolute deadlines, he is now ThREATENING those who do wish to participate in the democratic process. What a sad and sorry excuse for someone meant to be serving the interests of the people ( corruption, insurrection and murder charges notwithstanding).

Yesterday's rally was a major flop for Suthep . It achieved nothing, so now he reverts to the previous policy of intimidation and implied violence. I wouldn't trust this guy for a second

So you think Yingluck has more credibility ...

How many promises has she completed?

Additionally, I am not a big beliver on the elections here in Thailand, it's widely known how the red buying votes...

But even the poor rice farmers also been cheated of the promised money, so the dissatisfaction is increasing even among them.

So, let's theorize, suppose there is no vote buying, which party will win the elections then?

Why is Yingluck canvassing in Issan? She has their votes already? Or is this just PR/hiding from Bangkok?

Crosses my mind that the only way another interim government can be brought in to replace the YL government is if the military step in. Then a new government can make amendments before new elections. Maybe this is what Suthep is pushing for? Now you may or may not call this a coup!

• Like 1

Posts in violation of this forum rule have been removed:

31) Bangkok Post do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post publications will be deleted from the forum. Please note that this is a decision by the Bangkok Post, not by Thaivisa.com and any complaints or other issues concerning this rule should be directed to them. Quotes from and links to Phuketwan are also not allowed and will also be removed. In special cases forum Administrators or the news team may use these sources.

Bangkok Post said the security officials have estimated 270,000, and we all know being in the control of the government that the quote will be definitely played down.

Possibly.

Bluesky was reporting 3.5 million. police reported 135,000. so somewhere int he middle is probably correct. I would say about a million or more!

I would tend to agree with that.

I have been in 100,000 (and upwards) crowds on a few occasions in my time, namely Glastonbury festival, Wembley Stadium concerts etc...

I have stood at the top of Olympia watching 100,000 people come up from Wembley Stadium, and they were cleared within 15 minutes. But here they have been 1 hour + crossing a bridge, and just one part of the protests.

So based on experience and the photos we have from different venues, I think an easy 1 million minimum. Not sure about 3.5 million, but a safe mill.

100,000 in 15 mins equal to 111 person per second. NOT possible.

• Like 1

of all these protests over the years, i never heard what is the problems... i have heard of all the colors, red, yellow, demo.. peui thai.. but never why... no issues ever listed...usually when people protest over something, it usually is pretty serious... even in the states,people want to kick Bama out over the OBcare... which is pretty serious for a lot of people, along with unemployment issues, but yet, nobody really has done that much of protesting... (or maybe i am wrong)... but here never heard why, it makes me think some idiot drums up the people to just dislike another person, when Taksin was in office it the head of some big Thai newspaper who didn't like him, that caused his problem, and now its Suthep, whoever he is, that doesnt like YL... I guess Thai's are such a social country that gossip and "i hate my brother" is the cause of their thinking... and then you put some lao khao and some red backs and people will do anything for you even they don't know why...

crazy... hehe and until their is an official counting, it still seems less than 1% don't like her... how can that bring down a gov't? I would tell them all to blow off... and get a job... (and not my job) hehe

• Like 1

They are certainly buying of votes on both sides ... the difference is only that the red ones are purchasing their very cheap.

But they make the country pay it very expensive!

Whatever happens over the next year the problems are not going to go away. The economy and infrastructure pretty much echo the Thai philosophy of building. Foundations don't matter because they cost a lot but cannot be seen.

However foundations support everything and I'm afraid to say the house will come tumbling down soon.

Everything in Thailand is like a house of cards or one of those games you see in resorts where wood blocks are removed.

I might be missing something but I don't see Thailand as a nation like South Korea with well educated industrious people.

In fact I'd say Thailand is the opposite. No oil,minerals or major export ability. It has been a cheap labour/cheap holiday destination but like Spain etc tourist trades move on to the next hot spot.

Plenty of gas (oil by-product) in the Gulf, though I agree with the rest.

The PM posted a picture of her hugging her son with the caption: "I'm inspecting the work in many Northeast provinces and I have many missions to do each day. At least I have my son. We give moral support to each other."

So it's OK for her to bring her son into politics, but not if anyone else mentions him.

At least he is safe from fictitious attacks at his school.smile.png

At least they got the number closer to the actual figure. The PDRC posted the following on their Facebook website - "Urban architect academics used maps/acreage to calculate that the protester tally between 17.00-18.00 hours today was approximately 5.6 million." I can't stop laughing at the insanity.

Possibly.

Ok, one report say ten's of thousands, another report say's at least 150,000 thousand, but didn't Suthep say he would get 1.7 - 2.3 million???

and your asking "SO was it the big million+?"

and Y/L got seven protestors blowing whistle's,,, the numbers speak for themselves mate. The people of Thailand are against you.

• Like 1

I guess Bangkok ONLY Bangkok will have a very NEUTRAL dangerous Christmas and New Year, So dear travelers, get the hell out of Bangkok while you can, before anyone gets hurt for the rest until further notice...

Tourism ONLY Tourism, Bangkok ONLY Bangkok facepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.gif

The next upcoming article:

Protest affects Tourism arrivals by 1 million blablabla... clap2.gif clap2.gif clap2.gif

Edited by MaxLee

so she quoted all these legal reasons why she could not step down from her role a CT PM - but again has neglected her duty to that office - she is either CT PM or not, this woman refuses to take responsibility for any duties even as caretaker

I would charge with derelict of duty and submit it to a court

Definitely she is campaigning for the upcoming election and not worrying about being PM, not to say that she spent much time being PM before the protests. So, maybe there isn't much difference between now and then, though I expect she won't be on many trips outside Thailand until the election happens (or doesn't happen).

• Like 1

Here we go again!!thumbsup.gif Another thread where posters are fighting each other about who are "the rightest of the right". Most of them sadly with limited knowledge of Thai society as a whole and even less when it comes to politics!! But good entertainment!!coffee1.gif

May I suggest a solution to the political divide:

attachicon.gifmarieantoinetteexecute-a8b7aa02f3a17f0904724853bbfc83dc2b9c738a-s6-c30.jpg

Bye bye amart!!

Indeed and well put but it helps the breakfast go down with a chuckle....

Having FAILED to remove the govt by any of his moving feasts of final, absolute deadlines, he is now ThREATENING those who do wish to participate in the democratic process. What a sad and sorry excuse for someone meant to be serving the interests of the people ( corruption, insurrection and murder charges notwithstanding).

Yesterday's rally was a major flop for Suthep . It achieved nothing, so now he reverts to the previous policy of intimidation and implied violence. I wouldn't trust this guy for a second

So you think Yingluck has more credibility ...

How many promises has she completed?

Additionally, I am not a big beliver on the elections here in Thailand, it's widely known how the red buying votes...

But even the poor rice farmers also been cheated of the promised money, so the dissatisfaction is increasing even among them.

So, let's theorize, suppose there is no vote buying, which party will win the elections then?

DEM for sure.

Justification from last election:

PT get 15 millions vote = 7.5 real votes + 7.5 bought votes (my estimates of 50:50)

DEM get 11 million vote = 11 real votes.

Possibly.

I would tend to agree with that.

I have been in 100,000 (and upwards) crowds on a few occasions in my time, namely Glastonbury festival, Wembley Stadium concerts etc...

I have stood at the top of Olympia watching 100,000 people come up from Wembley Stadium, and they were cleared within 15 minutes. But here they have been 1 hour + crossing a bridge, and just one part of the protests.

So based on experience and the photos we have from different venues, I think an easy 1 million minimum. Not sure about 3.5 million, but a safe mill.

3.5 million is still short of the 5 ,million that came on 9-Dec (said BBC). Here is the proof:

RT @LilMsEditor: Haha. “@RichardBarrow: 4pm BBC World now saying 150,000 on the streets of #Bangkok. Rally stage still saying BBC said 5 million protesters”

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/687567-thailand-live-monday-9-dec-2013/page-6

The only significant word in your post is 'hordes'.

• Like 1