Laos a country in decline

williamta20012

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've learned to believe pretty much anything in life, but USD 1,000 - 5,000 per night hotel room in Laos... not that

I did a quick search on Booking.com - found rooms at $800+ per night - so not quite within my range smile.png

The most expensive now I think are in that hotel that is in the former Provincial Hospital building. I doubt they do their reservations on Booking.com .... but I may be wrong.

They rest more then they work 12.00 p.m to 2 p.m sleeping time 5 p.m go back time, thanks to France people who teach then to be lazy

So the French people that forced them into slave labor and beat them to make them work taught them to be lazy?

I am also curious what hotels in Laos cost $5,000 a day? I would doubt the presidential suite aty any hotel here would be that much. King's room Champasak palace is $200 and that is the most expensive room in Pakse at the moment. $500 wouldn't surprise me, but again that would be a suite and that would be no big deal in Phuket. Entry level rooms in Laos do not go for $1,000 or more but some places might have suites at those price points.

Edited by anotheruser
  • Like 2

I worked in Luang Prabang as Headmaster of the international school last year. Yes there were backpackers in town of course. But many tourists were staying in VERY expensive hotels, say between $1000 - $5000 a night.

I've learned to believe pretty much anything in life, but USD 1,000 - 5,000 per night hotel room in Laos... not that

In the USD250-500 price range there are a few places in Luang Prabang and for a little less, Vientiane too. But 1000-5000 wouldn't be worth it even to stay in the Luang Prabang Royal palace. Anyone paying 5000 for a night in Laos, if they can find it at all, would need to have their head examined.

Laos, Cambodja and Vietnam have been poor because their nationalist uprisings were betrayed by marxists who always make people poor like Cuba for example.

Nice people though and much less mercenary than the Thais. Can't blame them for not wanting to turn into the next sextourism capital of the world.

• Like 2

They rest more then they work 12.00 p.m to 2 p.m sleeping time 5 p.m go back time, thanks to France people who teach then to be lazy

Does your mum know you are using her computer when you should be taking your medication and taking a nap ?

I find that there is a group of expats here that act like predator bullies

Just back from six days in Luang Prabang. Busy wee place and quite a few higher end tourists, still lots of backpackers though.

Mrs wanted to do the alms giving one morning and the only locals to be seen were the ones selling food to give the "monks". whistling.gif.pagespeed.ce.FVjgnKnWS1.pn

Just back from six days in Luang Prabang. Busy wee place and quite a few higher end tourists, still lots of backpackers though.

Mrs wanted to do the alms giving one morning and the only locals to be seen were the ones selling food to give the "monks". whistling.gif.pagespeed.ce.FVjgnKnWS1.pn

Recent article in some magazine said there aren't enough locals left in Luang Prabang for the monks to get enough food and tour agencies now supply their food. If you noticed, the tour agencies now lay out the food offerings and at the last minute the minibus loads of tourists rush in and the tourists go and sit down behind the food (for the monks) that has been laid out.

In my opinion this makes the alms giving thing a sham. It's suppose to be a religious activity giving local buddhists the OPPORTUNITY to give alms to the monks for making merit. But then again ... not many locals left. It's become a kind of Lao Disneyland ... although I must admit it's still a charming place if you don't think about the reality.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Recent article in some magazine said there aren't enough locals left in Luang Prabang for the monks to get enough food and tour agencies now supply their food. If you noticed, the tour agencies now lay out the food offerings and at the last minute the minibus loads of tourists rush in and the tourists go and sit down behind the food (for the monks) that has been laid out.

In my opinion this makes the alms giving thing a sham. It's suppose to be a religious activity giving local buddhists the OPPORTUNITY to give alms to the monks for making merit. But then again ... not many locals left. It's become a kind of Lao Disneyland ... although I must admit it's still a charming place if you don't think about the reality.

The Alms giving is an embarrassment, the Monks did not want to do it but were told if they didn't the Government would dress non monks in robes as its a profitable tourist event.

Disreputable Laos are selling substandard food to tourists to give to the monks.

My worry as Laos develops its tourism industry the locals become more 'Thai' and rip off tourists, already I see it happening in Vang Vieng & Luang Prabang.

• 3 weeks later...